TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

FIOS motorola QIP-2500-3 and powering off?

I've got a Motorola QIP-2500-3 attached to a Series 2 Tivo. A couple of times the set top box has powered off (possibly due to power glitches). It doesn't seem to default to powering itself back on again. As a result the Tivo can't change channels. If I use the set top box's own power button, or remote, and power it back on again the Tivo works as expected.

I had used the serial port... for about a week and then it stopped responding. Don't know why. So IR seems to be the only way to use it. That's fine, but the power mode is a problem.

So, is there a way for the Tivo to deal with this? Can it send the necessary IR codes?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I've got a Motorola QIP-2500-3 attached to a Series 2 Tivo. A couple of times the set top box has powered off (possibly due to power glitches). It doesn't seem to default to powering itself back on again. As a result the Tivo can't change channels. If I use the set top box's own power button, or remote, and power it back on again the Tivo works as expected.

I had used the serial port... for about a week and then it stopped responding. Don't know why. So IR seems to be the only way to use it. That's fine, but the power mode is a problem.

So, is there a way for the Tivo to deal with this? Can it send the necessary IR codes?
sounds like a bad box can exchange the QIP2500?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Bad why, the change in serial control or the power-up state? I've heard the serial port doesn't work in some markets. I've no idea if that's the case here in Metro DC/MD/VA or not.

Now, if the serial port is KNOWN to work in this market, on this box, then yeah I'd seek an exchange.

I've been hesitant to call Verizon to ask about this. For fear of squandering OVER AN HOUR trying to talk to someone, and then end up talking to a tier-one IDIOT. Basically, not repeating the experiences I've had the half-dozen times I've had to call them already...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
litkaj

If Verizon sent your STB an update then it will turn off. If it seems to be doing it a lot then it could be that your power is unstable or the box is defective. Try plugging it into a UPS and see if it still turns off.

Oh, and if you're waiting an hour to talk to someone useless then you're not calling the right number. I've called Verizon about a dozen times over the past two and a half years and I don't believe I've ever had to wait more than 4 or 5 minutes for someone helpful (excluding the billing department).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
litkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Bad why, the change in serial control or the power-up state? I've heard the serial port doesn't work in some markets. I've no idea if that's the case here in Metro DC/MD/VA or not.

Now, if the serial port is KNOWN to work in this market, on this box, then yeah I'd seek an exchange.

I've been hesitant to call Verizon to ask about this. For fear of squandering OVER AN HOUR trying to talk to someone, and then end up talking to a tier-one IDIOT. Basically, not repeating the experiences I've had the half-dozen times I've had to call them already...
my reasoning for the exchange was you said the box was powering off unless you have a power problem in your house it shouldn't do that. Now if it was updating like litkaj said thats different.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Karl Childers

The Motorola QIP2500 has an auto-power off power-saving feature, which can be disabled from the STB's menu settings.
Karl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
ramblin_wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Childers View Post
The Motorola QIP2500 has an auto-power off power-saving feature, which can be disabled from the STB's menu settings.
Can you explain how? I've looked "everywhere" I can think of and can't find this setting. Thanks.
ramblin_wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
blasikov

FYI

http: / / forums.tivo[dot]com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10460812
blasikov is offline   Reply With Quote