TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
jlin

Convert .tivo files to mkv with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio

Does anyone know of stand-alone media player (such as the WD Media Player) playing the .tivo files?

If I convert it to mkv using VideoRedo, does it retain the 5.1 Dolby Digital surround audio?
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
Does anyone know of stand-alone media player (such as the WD Media Player) playing the .tivo files?

If I convert it to mkv using VideoRedo, does it retain the 5.1 Dolby Digital surround audio?
It does with ts files or mpg files. I don't think I've used VideoReDo with MKV files.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

You can also just strip the DRM off with DSD and others to make it a normal mpeg file
Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
jlin

Oh wow... a reply from a developer for VideoRedo !

That's great to know that mkv is a good alternative format with full Dolby Digital 5.1 conversion!

I know the mkv files are more compact. Do you see any visual quality loss from the conversion?

Also, can you save it in 720p mkv format instead of the original 1080i to save even more space ?
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
nrnoble

I am going to jump and also ask Dan a question.

Dan, Whenever I convert a mpg video (ie DVD movie) to h.264 using VideoReDo, I can't transfer the h.264 file to any of my Tivos. The transfer starts, but then quickly exits and never transfer.

If I use other video tools (ie handbrake), I can easily make h.264 videos that transfer to the TiVos.

Any guesses as to why the h.264 files created by VideoReDo can't be tansfered to TiVo?
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know the mkv files are more compact. Do you see any visual quality loss from the conversion?

Also, can you save it in 720p mkv format instead of the original 1080i to save even more space ?
MKV files aren't in themselves more compact. The ones you find online are more compact because they have been recoded to H.264. The default option is to simply pass through the original video as-is, but we also offer full transcoding so you can convert to H.264 if you want.

As for the question about 720p... the only issue with doing this is the frame rate. Some players expect 720p video to be 59.94fps, but VideoReDo does not have the ability to double the frame rate so when you convert a 1080i file to 720p the resulting file will still be 29.97fps which can cause problems with some hardware players that are hard coded to expect 59.94fps. That being said I think TiVo can play these files fine, so not really an issue in the context of TiVo.

Dan
Old 06-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
I am going to jump and also ask Dan a question.

Dan, Whenever I convert a mpg video (ie DVD movie) to h.264 using VideoReDo, I can't transfer the h.264 file to any of my Tivos. The transfer starts, but then quickly exits and never transfer.

If I use other video tools (ie handbrake), I can easily make h.264 videos that transfer to the TiVos.

Any guesses as to why the h.264 files created by VideoReDo can't be tansfered to TiVo?
What format are you saving to? MP4? If so are you pushing them to a TiVo using pyTiVo or are you pulling them from the TiVo itself?

Dan
Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What format are you saving to? MP4? If so are you pushing them to a TiVo using pyTiVo or are you pulling them from the TiVo itself?

Dan
I have tried both .mp4 & .mkv pulling them to the TiVo. I shall try pushing them to see if that works. I still would like to figure out how to get VideoReDo to convert to h.264 so that the TiVo can pull them over, if not, I can just leave them in MPEG2.

Thanks!
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

When pulling files from the PC to your Tivo, they have to be either a Tivo file (.tivo) or MPEG 2 (.mpg).

The Tivo will accept and play a properly encoded MP4 (H264) file, but you have to 'push' them to the Tivo from the PC using PyTivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Not quite. However when you pull a file that is not .tivo or .mpg it will be recoded back to MPEG-2 on the fly. If you're using TiVo Desktop you have to use the Plus version to do this. pyTiVo can do it for free, but you need to make sure your FFmpeg build is up to date or it can cause problems.

The only way to get native H.264 video onto a TiVo is to push it from the PC to the TiVo using pyTiVo. And in that case it has to be in an MP4 container and the MOOV atom has to be at the start of the file. (default in VRD, but can be disabled by user)

Dan