Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Registry For Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

I think I have found why I am having some issues with TiVo Desktop, the registry settings are missing.

Someone gave me the registry settings for a Windows 7 64 bit machine,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run section of the registry, with
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoTransfer.exe

From the same section, the TivoNotify service starts with
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify

the TivoServer service with
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoServer

and the TranscodingService service with
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\Plus\TranscodingService.exe

I was wondering if someone on here might understand the registry some and be able to let me know the Key Names, Types, Values?
Thank you!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Gadfly

I am not sure what you are looking for but the type for all these registry entries is REG_SZ (string) as expected.

Here are the TiVo entries in my registry. Please note that in my case Windows is installed on drive D:. I have copied and pasted these entries after exporting them to a reg file. So when editing your registry directly, you should use only one "\" for each two "\" you see below.

Ignoring the first two lines, the left part of the equal sign is "value name". The right part is the "value data". Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run and right click anywhere on the right pan and choose 'New'->'String Value'. It creates a registry value with the default name "New Value #1". Type over the value name (e.g. TiveServer) from below and then set the "value data" (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoServer). Do not put double quotes either in value names or value data. And as I said replace every double black slash with one.

Alternatively you can cut and paste the text below to a file with .reg extension and then double click on it to merge it with your registry. Please make sure you change the D: to C:.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run]

"TivoServer"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoServer.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoServer"
"TivoTransfer"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoTransfer.exe"
"TivoNotify"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoNotify.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify"
"TranscodingService"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\TiVo\\Desktop\\Plus\\\\TranscodingService.exe"

Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
heatherprotz

Great that you have shared it here. Lot of people like me would be having the same issue. Now let me try this out.
heatherprotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I looked at my Windows XP machine as well - to compare. I exported the keys and saved them with the .reg extension so I can easily install it.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run]
"TranscodingService"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\Plus\\\\TranscodingService.exe"
"TivoServer"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoServer.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoServer"
"TivoTransfer"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoTransfer.exe"
"TivoNotify"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoNotify.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify"

It pretty much looks like the same - with the exception of the file location (I have the Windows 7 32bit.

Of course, I will make a backup of the registry and probably a SystemBack before I do this, but it looks like everything will be in one location, so I should not have any issues (if I have to delete them)

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I know I posted on the other thread - but I did not think that one had to do with the other.

I sort of cheated - I ran each of the program files from the Start - Run first to see if it worked. I can now see the TiVo Media Server on the Now Playing list.

I'll add these to the registry now and reboot. (The TiVo Desktop still has the rotating circle but hopefully that might be fixed on the reboot.)

If someone gets the chance, can you go to your Services Console (you can type Services in the Run menu or Programs - Administrative Tools - Services) and see if the TiVo Beacon Service is the only service running?

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
"TivoServer"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoServer.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoServer"
"TivoTransfer"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoTransfer.exe"
"TivoNotify"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoNotify.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify"
"TranscodingService"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\TiVo\\Desktop\\Plus\\\\TranscodingService.exe"[/b]
Using Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, my registry does not have the (x86) in any of the entries.
Are you saying the (x86) is supposed to be in there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Using Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, my registry does not have the (x86) in any of the entries.
No, 32-bit OS machines do not use the legacy x86 entries/folders they use \Program Files on its own.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just in case this happens to someone else - hopefully these instructions will help. If you don't feel comfortable messing with you registry, that is understandable.

Before making any changes, create a restore point - Start - Control Panel - System Protection.

Click the button "Create" by Create a restore point right now for the drives that have system protection turned on. I just typed in BeforeTivoAddedRegistries

When finished, you will get a message

Now to make sure it was created, hit the System Restore Button and you should see something like this. Windows makes System Restores all the time - when you remove some programs, install some programs, install updates, etc (just in case something goes wrong, you can always roll back)

Now Choose a different restore point and hit next, and you might see a a few restore points depending on your setup.

But you should see: BeforeTivoAddedRegistries. Now just hit cancel. You know it is there. Plus, maybe you know now how to fix some your computer if a program install / uninstall messes things up.

There is a different way also:

Another way to make a backup of these specific keys:
To take a look at the keys - go to Start - Run and type in regedit, hit <ENTER>. You will have to scroll down a lot - look for:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run - hopefully you will see something like this:

While you are there, highlight Run key, go to File - Export. You can save this on your desktop, and make sure you choose selected branch (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Run)

All this does is export the keys, value, date in this field.

Now to add the registry keys
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"TranscodingService"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\Plus\\\\TranscodingService.exe"
"TivoServer"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoServer.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoServer"
"TivoTransfer"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoTransfer.exe"
"TivoNotify"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoNotify.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify"
copy this and save it - I saved it as tivo-windows-7-32bit.txt in a folder: C:\Tivo

Go to My Computer, drill down to where you saved this file. Now if you do not have Ultimate Windows Tweaker, a Tweak UI for Windows 7 & Vista, that's OK.

Before you right click anywhere in the window (not on the file name), hit the SHIFT key and right click. This will bring up the most of the normal window - like View, Sort, etc. But you should also see Open Command Here

Here is where you can rename it - at the prompt, type in
ren tivo-windows-7-32bit.txt tivo-windows-7-32bit.reg

You should see the file change from the default notepad icon

This is where you can double click on the icon - it should ask you if you want to add it to the registry - say yes.

Sorry, it seem that I was limited to the number of images that can be added.

IMPORTANT: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. I cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved nor do I provide technical support for such issues if they occur. Use the information provided at your own risk. You can also make a backup of the registry with ERUNT - The Emergency Recovery Utility.

I do have a few more pictures at Tivo Desktop Registry For Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Windows 64-bit has two separate Program Files directories to separate 32-bit and 64-bit apps. The default directory for either the 32-bit version or 64-bit version of Windows is the Program Files Directory. Windows 64-bit has a 2nd Program Files directory with "(x86)" in the title to differentiate the 32-bit programs location. Since Tivo Desktop is probably available only as a 32-bit app it will be placed in the "Program Files" directory for Windows 32-bit and "Program Files (x86)" for Windows 64-bit, hence the difference in the Windows Registry entries between the two versions.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote