TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
JBR74

New Tivo Guy

Finally made the leap, had Charter DVR forever, (junk).

Bought the Premier XL4, and Charter is coming in a few hours to put in my cablecard.

I did make a last min decision to go for the lifetime subscription after coming across the $100 coupon on the web. $499 i was on the fence but at $399 the choice was easy.

I did pick up the Tivo 3yr warranty to help make sure I get my moneys worth from the lifetime sub.

My only questions are:

Good idea to get the 3yr warranty w/ lifetime sub?
Correct me me if i am wrong but Tivo will only move my lifetime sub to a new box if it breaks and its under warranty, right?

For me the warranty was more for my subscription that the box itself.

Lastly, that is the only situation where you can transfer the lifetime service right?
I know the Xl4 just came out so it will prob be a couple years before I am tempted by the newest box, but does tivo allow you to carry over a lifetime if you upgrade through them? Or not, ( I am assuming not from what I've read.)

Anyway, have the box all set up and am watching Ironman2 on Netflix till the cable guy gets here.

Thanks!
JBR74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
sharkster

In March I replaced my old S2 Tivos (8 years old) with two new Premieres. I figured the 3 year extended warranty was a no brainer as, for me anyway, the price for those warranties were pretty small.

It did take me a week to decide on Lifetime on both Premieres ($800 was nothing to sneeze at for me), but I'm glad I did it. I, stupidly, didn't do that on my first two Tivos and, thinking back over the 8 years I used them, I sure would have gotten my money back a long time ago at the $300 it cost at that time.

Anyway, so I did both the warranty and the Lifetime. I figure the extended warranty helps me to feel confident that my machines will make it beyond the time that the Lifetime service pays for itself. (did that make sense?)
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
UCLABB

Please let us know how it goes. I have Charter and I am wondering how the XL4 is going to work with Charter's cable card and tuning adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR74 View Post

Bought the Premier XL4, and Charter is coming in a few hours to put in my cablecard.

I did make a last min decision to go for the lifetime subscription after coming across the $100 coupon on the web. $499 i was on the fence but at $399 the choice was easy.

I did pick up the Tivo 3yr warranty to help make sure I get my moneys worth from the lifetime sub.

My only questions are:

Correct me me if i am wrong but Tivo will only move my lifetime sub to a new box if it breaks and its under warranty, right?

Lastly, that is the only situation where you can transfer the lifetime service right?
I know the Xl4 just came out so it will prob be a couple years before I am tempted by the newest box, but does tivo allow you to carry over a lifetime if you upgrade through them? Or not, ( I am assuming not from what I've read.)

Anyway, have the box all set up and am watching Ironman2 on Netflix till the cable guy gets here.

Thanks!

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

There have been occasions in the past where Tivo offered lifetime transfers to a new box for a discounted fee, as part of an upgrade promotion. But that shouldn't be counted on happening again.

They'll fix/replace your box under the conditions specified in the warranty, yes. But otherwise lifetime stays with the box unless that unlikely promotion happens again.

If you feel compelled to upgrade in a couple years, Lifetime'd boxes hold a pretty good resale value. You can offset much of the cost that way.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
In March I replaced my old S2 Tivos (8 years old) with two new Premieres. I figured the 3 year extended warranty was a no brainer as, for me anyway, the price for those warranties were pretty small.

It did take me a week to decide on Lifetime on both Premieres ($800 was nothing to sneeze at for me), but I'm glad I did it. I, stupidly, didn't do that on my first two Tivos and, thinking back over the 8 years I used them, I sure would have gotten my money back a long time ago at the $300 it cost at that time.

Anyway, so I did both the warranty and the Lifetime. I figure the extended warranty helps me to feel confident that my machines will make it beyond the time that the Lifetime service pays for itself. (did that make sense?)
Since you had the leverage of being about to buy two new TiVos with PLS, did you try to see if you could get the $99 lifetime deal on those S2s to up their resale value?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
Chris Gerhard

Quote:

My only questions are:

Thanks!
I wouldn't have purchased the extended warranty, TiVo will replace an out of warranty failed lifetime DVR with a refurbished one for a fee. I don't recall the fee and won't look it up now, it is $150 or $200 unless I am mistaken and that makes the warranty coverage only relevant for that fee, not the purchase price with lifetime. I have never had a TiVo fail, other than hard drive after almost 12 years and I think my experience is rather typical. The failures not covered within the provided 90 day warranty but before the 3 year warranty are very rare. I believe the extended warranty is profitable for the seller in other words.

TiVo with lifetime is the only smart option in my opinion, I would do without TiVo rather than pay the monthly fee.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
JBR74

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Please let us know how it goes. I have Charter and I am wondering how the XL4 is going to work with Charter's cable card and tuning adapter.
Funny you should ask.
Well #1 Do NOT do a self install card install, I have heard this from multiple people.
And I am sure glad I listened to them.

It took the tech about 2.5 hours and multiple phone calls to dispatch to get it to work.

But once it was set up it works awesome, I am so happy with everything now and it's working flawlessly.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Since you had the leverage of being about to buy two new TiVos with PLS, did you try to see if you could get the $99 lifetime deal on those S2s to up their resale value?
Unitron - I did actually get the $99 Lifetime on one of my old S2s. Unfortunately, at the time anyway, the reasoning was that the guy convinced me that I could use it for storage in case I built up too many recordings so that it wouldn't preclude scheduled stuff from recording.

The unfortunate part is that he didn't bother to tell me that HD stuff cannot be transferred, so the box became worthless to me.

I did list it on Craig's List, to no avail (so far anyway). Am contemplating listing it on ebay but I have developed such a disdain for selling on ebay, especially electronics and due to the increased listing fees, FVF, and Paypal fees. I guess I need to do that to move the box. It's in perfect condition and I had also recently purchased a brand new remote (it's a Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo/DVD player).
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
sharkster

Chris - When I purchased the extended warranty on my two Premieres it was only around $30, but maybe it costs considerably more for the bigger boxes (?).
Old 05-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
UCLABB

You got a tuning adapter too? Please check back in in a week or so to let us know that it continues to work. Where are you located?

Quote:
Funny you should ask.
Well #1 Do NOT do a self install card install, I have heard this from multiple people.
And I am sure glad I listened to them.

It took the tech about 2.5 hours and multiple phone calls to dispatch to get it to work.

But once it was set up it works awesome, I am so happy with everything now and it's working flawlessly.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Chris - When I purchased the extended warranty on my two Premieres it was only around $30, but maybe it costs considerably more for the bigger boxes (?).
I have owned about dozen TiVos and never had a single failure that would have been covered by the extended warranty. I have saved whatever the cost would have been by not purchasing a single extended warranty. I could have had a couple of failures, paid for the repair or TiVo provided refurb replacement and still been ahead by not purchasing any extended warranties.

Of course some people look at things differently than I do and although it is clear a huge majority will be ahead by not buying the extended warranty, some people just want the security that is provided by the extended warranty. I will assume to that group, the guarantee it provides for the cost for that 2.75 year period provides some comfort. No failure during that period, great, the TiVo is still working but if it fails, you have a policy to get it repaired, all for $30 or so. The way I look at it, I have saved about $360 and never lost a second of sleep worrying about having a TiVo fail.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
JBR74

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
You got a tuning adapter too? Please check back in in a week or so to let us know that it continues to work. Where are you located?
Yes I have a tuning adaptor also.

So far so good, no issues.

I live in the St. Louis Metro Area.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
tomm1079

Am i the only one who read this topic and thought he was looking for a little replacement tivo guy logo?
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
Am i the only one who read this topic and thought he was looking for a little replacement tivo guy logo?
The 540s were the first thing I thought of.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote