TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Tivo Series 2 not powering up

I recently obtained a Series 2 (dual tuner) Tivo. Got it from a friend who no longer wanted it, but wasn't sure of its functionality. I plan to just simply stick it in the basement and connect it to a Comcast cable box. Then use it to tape shows and MRV to my other TiVos on the main floor.

Got it home and plugged it in and nothing. It doesn't appear to be working. No green power light on the front, no welcome screen, etc. The fan doesn't appear to be spinning either. I'm assuming the power supply is shot. I opened it up to see how involved it would be to take the power supply out and it doesn't seem to hard (2 screws, 4 plastic clips, motherboard connector and hard drive connector). Does the power supply sound about right or could it be something else?

I also actually have another perfectly fine & fully functional Series 2 DT (w/ lifetime) in our bedroom. Basically, the same model & I'm wondering if I could pull its power supply and try it in this newer non-working unit. Or is that kind of too risky (especially since its a lifetime unit)?

Other than the power supply, just wondering what else it could be. If worse comes to worse, I guess I could just use its 80GB hard drive for something else and the extra remote.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Have you verified that the outlet it is plugged into is functional? Have you checked the seating of the power cord into the TiVo and seating of cable from PS to MB? You might try the power cord from the working TiVo.

If the newly acquired TiVo doesn't have lifetime, it may not be worth repairing.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I recently obtained a Series 2 (dual tuner) Tivo. Got it from a friend who no longer wanted it, but wasn't sure of its functionality. I plan to just simply stick it in the basement and connect it to a Comcast cable box. Then use it to tape shows and MRV to my other TiVos on the main floor.

Got it home and plugged it in and nothing. It doesn't appear to be working. No green power light on the front, no welcome screen, etc. The fan doesn't appear to be spinning either. I'm assuming the power supply is shot. I opened it up to see how involved it would be to take the power supply out and it doesn't seem to hard (2 screws, 4 plastic clips, motherboard connector and hard drive connector). Does the power supply sound about right or could it be something else?

I also actually have another perfectly fine & fully functional Series 2 DT (w/ lifetime) in our bedroom. Basically, the same model & I'm wondering if I could pull its power supply and try it in this newer non-working unit. Or is that kind of too risky (especially since its a lifetime unit)?

Other than the power supply, just wondering what else it could be. If worse comes to worse, I guess I could just use its 80GB hard drive for something else and the extra remote.
Don't swap power supplies in either direction. Unplug the power supply from the drive and the MB and check to see if there are any DC voltages. The drive connector should have +5 and +12 so that would be a quick check. If there are good voltages then try plugging in just the hard drive to see if it spins up. You could also plug in just the MB to see if any lights come on. The MB should at least start the boot process without the hard drive connected.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Don't swap power supplies in either direction. Unplug the power supply from the drive and the MB and check to see if there are any DC voltages. The drive connector should have +5 and +12 so that would be a quick check. If there are good voltages then try plugging in just the hard drive to see if it spins up. You could also plug in just the MB to see if any lights come on. The MB should at least start the boot process without the hard drive connected.
If you unplug both the drive and the motherboard, the power supply will have no load. Switching supplies don't like that.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you unplug both the drive and the motherboard, the power supply will have no load. Switching supplies don't like that.
Depends on the design. If the supply was cheaply designed without protection circuitry then it could run away and maybe burn up. Some with protection circuitry will just shut down with no load. Modern IC-regulated supplies should not have either of those problems, but then we are talking about older technology in the Tivo. Just for grins I did a sample of one test on a TCD24004a. No problem disconnecting everything from the supply for a brief period. Voltages at the hard drive connector were within a couple of tenths of the numbers when the MB was connected or disconnected. And it does display the "Welcome. Powering up" screen without a hard drive attached. Hopefully the newer S2DT has at least as good of a design.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Depends on the design. If the supply was cheaply designed without protection circuitry then it could run away and maybe burn up. Some with protection circuitry will just shut down with no load. Modern IC-regulated supplies should not have either of those problems, but then we are talking about older technology in the Tivo. Just for grins I did a sample of one test on a TCD24004a. No problem disconnecting everything from the supply for a brief period. Voltages at the hard drive connector were within a couple of tenths of the numbers when the MB was connected or disconnected. And it does display the "Welcome. Powering up" screen without a hard drive attached. Hopefully the newer S2DT has at least as good of a design.
Still, better to test it with just the motherboard or just the drive connected to see if can meet voltage specs under load.

I'd start by trying it with just the motherboard connected.

If no lights, no fan, it's probably a bad supply and not a motherboard fault pulling it down, but you can then disconnect the motherboard and connect the hard drive, and see if you can feel the vibration of the drive spinning up.

If not, hook the drive to a computer supply (but not the data cable) and see if it spins up then.

If it does, then it's time to troubleshoot the power supply.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #7
Wil
Senile Member

I've seen a lot of bad Tivos in my time, at least a couple of dozen (I try to be helpful to a local user community) and I've never seen a _completely_ dead power supply. Maybe that's just random and untypical experience, but I like the advice of making real sure of cables and connectors.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
buscuitboy

OK, I'll have to try another cable. Maybe that is it. I'm at work now, but I thought I remember seeing and hearing NOTHING going. No hard drive spinning and/or fan turning. I'm hoping it simple something mentioned here.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
OK, I'll have to try another cable. Maybe that is it. I'm at work now, but I thought I remember seeing and hearing NOTHING going. No hard drive spinning and/or fan turning. I'm hoping it simple something mentioned here.
Well, of course the first thing to do is check the TSN with TiVo to find out if it's lifetimed.

Agree totally dead power supply means suspect power cord first, but...

If all TCD649x80 (where x=0 or 1) power supplies are the same. there's a component which is almost certainly a fuse.

It's right in front of the AC socket into which the power cord plugs, it's just under an inch long, it has heat shrink tubing on it and

T2AL/250V

is silkscreened on the board right below it.

If you have an ohmmeter, put it on the lowest scale, unplug the AC cord and stick a lead in each end of that heat shrink where the wire leads come out. You should read zero ohms, or just about. On an inexpensive digital meter I get 0.3 ohms

If it's open, no power.

Which raises the question of what made it blow.

That's where life gets interesting.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
buscuitboy

OK, I finally found some time and further investigated this unit. I pulled the hard drive out and connected it directly to another PC's power supply. Nothing. I didn't hear it spin up or anything. Could this affect the whole TiVo S2 not powering up?

I have some spare hard drives & I'm trying to see if I can located a similar 80GB one to throw in instead. I realize I would also have to located a S2 image for it and install it with WinMFS. Trying to get one & will eventually move forward with that, but until then, will a dead hard drive affect a S2 from not powering up at all?

Last edited by buscuitboy : 05-27-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
OK, I finally found some time and further investigated this unit. I pulled the hard drive out and connected it directly to another PC's power supply. Nothing. I didn't hear it spin up or anything. Could this affect the whole TiVo S2 not powering up?
No. But whatever the basic problem is (a short, a surge?) it likely trashed the drive when it happened.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:

I have some spare hard drives & I'm trying to see if I can located a similar 80GB one to throw in instead. I realize I would also have to located a S2 image for it and install it with WinMFS. Trying to get one & will eventually move forward with that, but until then, will a dead hard drive affect a S2 from not powering up at all?
Do you know for sure that power is actually getting to the TiVo?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:

If you have the power supply, the motherboard with the plug from the power supply properly inserted, and the cable from the front panel properly seated in the socket on the motherboard, and no hard drive connected to the power supply and also not connected to the motherboard, and you plug in the power cord to the wall socket, what do you get? Anything on the screen at all? Any flicker of light on the front panel?