TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
talmania

Premiere upgrade itch...to scratch or not?

Been looking at the $49.95 Premiere refurb sale going on right now and have an upgrade itch that I'm considering scratching.

I have an S3 (on lifetime) that I use in my primary viewing area and an HD in my secondary viewing area that gets very rarely used (6.95 monthly--hacked due to Frontier FIOS and their crappy always on copy once flag).

I'm mostly content with both but with the sale running today have thought about upgrading to the Premiere and it's UI (which i like but is deathly slow on the S3/HD--it IS faster on the premiere right?).

So I've thought about buying a Premiere then trying to get lifetime on my HD and selling it. Also thought about just buying an XL4 and selling everything else as my HD is pretty rarely used (but it does get used).

I guess I'm asking advice from those that have been in my position before--did you upgrade and never look back? Any regrets? Thanks in advance for the advice!
talmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

Scratch it, baby!

I am 1 week into my XL4 upgrade from an original S3.

The Premier GUI was a prime concern for me. The XL4 handles the GUI elements very nicely, vast improvement over the S3's handling. The HD menus and new guide are quite excellent!

I had thought I'd take full advantage of the 30-day return option, but I'm not going back!

Hard to go wrong for the price, especially with lifetime resale value, unless you feel another itch to get the XL4 and all it's 4-tuner goodness.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
MJHoltorf

Thumbs up Do it!

I'm 10 days into an XL4 and Premiere. I have to say, I absolutely love it. Both are running 20.2.1.1, and I have no streaming problems or stability issues. I am using a wired network between them, and Cox cable with Motorola M-Cards and TA's. I like the HDUI, though I can see why some people still prefer the speed of the SDUI.

I switched from DirecTV (11 years) after, with no notice, they essentially bricked my Series 1 D-Tivo and made my Series 2 useless for a few weeks. Combine that with the artificially crippled THR22 they came out with in December, and I'd had enough.

I'm not looking back, and wishing I'd switched earlier!
MJHoltorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
pmiranda

The only thing I'd wait for is clarity on which Premiere boxes you can use a streaming accessory with. I didn't really need the extra tuners of the Elite but I may have screwed myself on that front by cheaping out with the plain premiere.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

upgrade

I just added a second Premier yesterday. You absolutely can call Tivo and say I will buy the Premier if you give me a $99 lifetime upgrade on my s3. I have done it twice and I now have my 2 s3's for sale with lifetime to pay for the Premiers and service for a year or so.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
The only thing I'd wait for is clarity on which Premiere boxes you can use a streaming accessory with. I didn't really need the extra tuners of the Elite but I may have screwed myself on that front by cheaping out with the plain premiere.
The Streaming Box has been cleared to work with any of the DVR's. The only questions it looks like are the IP-STB which was cleared up that it will only work with the XL4 at launch but will support all shortly after
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

But how long is "shortly after"?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
rick123

I replaced 2 lifetime 1 TB TiVo HDs this spring after waiting for the software update to roll out. You are still able to get over $300 (I got 380 and 330) on eBay for HD lifetimes.

Pros: HD interface, glow remote (I also got a slide remote but find it is not used that often...), iPad app, and an A+++ for multiroom viewing (pause in one room resume in another), stream option for viewing if you don't want to transfer, and deleting remotely. I'm in southern NH and hoping I am in the "Boston area" for the Comcast OD rollout. Also looking forward to the Stream and IP box.

Negatives:

Well worth the upgrade IMO. We really love the new units. If you have the cash I would get the XL4 as it seems to be getting abilities not available to the base units.

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote