TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
heg

Tivo desktop on OS X Lion - can't find it??

I'm a Mac rookie (long-time PC user) with a new Lion machine. I installed Tivo Desktop for Mac, v1.95a (shown to be for OS X v10.6 and later). The installation appeared to go well and I got the screen acknowledging the the installation was successful. So where is it? It's not in the dock. It's not in the Finder. There is a Tivo recordings folder in Documents, but I cannot find the program. I hope this is something simple, just my unfamiliarity with Mac. Someone please help this rookie.
heg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
nitrone

Tivo desktop on OS X Lion - can't find it??

Look in System Preferences - Other at the bottom
nitrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Don't expect the Mac version to do all that the PC version does. About the only thing they have in common is the name.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
heg

still having trouble with TiVo Desktop for Mac

Thanks for that info. I did find Tivo Desktop in System Prefs, but it seems to be the preferences only, like which photos and music on my Mac I want to publish to Tivo. The screen shows that TiVo Desktop is off, but does not give me an option to start it. That button is grayed out. About the only thing it will let me do is to enter a name, but even that is not being accepted. In the absence of any button to save that info I tried <Command>+<Q>. That closes the window, but does not save the name I entered.

Where is this intuitive OS on Mac I have been hearing about for so long? As for TiVo Desktop for Mac not doing as much as the PC version, that's for sure - it actually runs on my PC!

Any other ideas, friends?
heg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by heg View Post
Any other ideas, friends?
Switch to using one or more of the myriad free programs discussed in this forum.

Here is my rant to another user struggling with TiVo Desktop. I think he's on a PC, but the principle still holds: TD is garbage. Use the free programs discussed in this forum.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Jophan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heg View Post
Thanks for that info. I did find Tivo Desktop in System Prefs, but it seems to be the preferences only, like which photos and music on my Mac I want to publish to Tivo. The screen shows that TiVo Desktop is off, but does not give me an option to start it. That button is grayed out.
Hi, Heg, welcome to the Mac platform. Many people do find it intuitive in the sense that there's good consistency in behavior across the OS and all the apps, but "intuitive" doesn't mean "telepathic" as my girlfriend seems to think, so keep your expectations within reason.

I'm sorry you've had a problem. As the previous posters have implied, it has more to do with TiVo's weak support for the Mac than with the Mac itself.

In my experience, TiVo Desktop's "start" button will be greyed out until you've checked the box next to at least one item in the list on the right to make that item a shared one.
Jophan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
elh

TiVo Desktop for Mac 1.95a not Lion compatible

I installed TiVo Desktop 1.95a under Snow Leopard and it worked fine. I have now upgraded to OS 10.7.4 Lion. TiVo Desktop is still in the System Preferences, but will not start up. It tries to start but reverts back to stopped. I have checked the check boxes for all Music and all Photos.

A chat with TiVo Support revealed that there is no update to TiVo Desktop for Lion and no word on when there might be.
elh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That is because TiVo Desktop is basically 3rd party developed, and that 3rd party isn't going bother updating the app until TiVo compels them to do so.

I so wish the TiVo Desktop software was handled more like the TiVo DVR software. We need an avenue to report bugs and have them addressed.
Alas, I don't think it will happen because of the available alternative solutions that actually work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
allenkelson

I haven't seen any of those alternative programs listed in this forum. I'm running a Mac with Lion. Apparently those TiVo programs I've converted to m4v files were converted before I was using Lion.

Can you recommend an app to convert TiVo files to m4v's? And will simply putting them in iTunes' iTunesMedia folder assign Movies and TV shows where they belong? How can I control that?
allenkelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'm not familiar with Macs, but you might want to check out PyTivoX.

Thread is here.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=412802

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
javabird

Apps for Macs mentioned in this forum:

iTivo

kmttg/
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote