TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
audiodane

Reran Guided Setup, but cannot tune free HD stations??

Hello. I'm not a newbie, but I'm stumped by this one.

Quick background; I have an S3, tried to go down the cable-card route for the channel mapping of the free HD network channels (cbs, nbc, etc) but they wanted to charge me for an entire digital cable package (they claimed they could not offer cablecards on the analog cable package). This was after I had the cards for about a month and got the first bill. So fine, I took the cards out, reran guided setup, and that's when I realized that I could run guided setup with "use digital lineup, will get cablecards later" option and the Tivo could successfully see channels 901-905 which were the free broadcast HD channels (nbc, cbs, etc).

Now for the current situation. I just bought an HD unit, upgraded the HDD from stock, and have been trying to get it setup to replace an older S2 unit in the bedroom. I'm working to copy over shows, etc. I have it hooked up in the family room next to my S3 unit, both hooked up to a 2-way coax splitter (5-2400MHz). Coming into the house is also another of the exact same splitter. Anyway, I have rerun GUided Setup several times to tell the TivoHD "use digital lineup, will get cablecard later" but I cannot tune channels 901-905 when it's complete. At this point I'm scared to try and re-run it on the S3 "just to see what happens" in case I loose the channels there too.

To be clear; these are cable-TV rebroadcasts of OTA unencrypted digital channels that I'm talking about. I'm not trying to steal cable or anything else.

So what's going on? Why could I re-run guided setup on the S3 after the cablecards were removed and still see the 901-905 channels, but when I rerun guided setup on the HD I cannot?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
audiodane

Update- I did a channel scan, and all these xx-yyy channels came up. Scanning through several of them, I did find several that I could watch.. So it seems apparent that the tuner digital tuner itself is working. Of course scanning does not add 901-905 though. The digital cable lineup itself has those channels in the listing..

still stumped..
..dane
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Update- I did a channel scan, and all these xx-yyy channels came up. Scanning through several of them, I did find several that I could watch.. So it seems apparent that the tuner digital tuner itself is working. Of course scanning does not add 901-905 though. The digital cable lineup itself has those channels in the listing..

still stumped..
..dane
I've found that Tivo will not find the "free" digitial channels when it runs Guided Setup because Guide Data is generally not provided for them. Yes, like you, I found that running a channel scan found most of them but generally just for the Extended Basic level tier of my cable package. For me that includes all channel from 2-99 and the ClearQAM HD channels 103, 105, 110, 112, and 113. Anything other than that is encrypted by the cable company. In any case, you can watch them but Tivo does not provide Guide Data so any recordings would need to be set up manually.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
audiodane

For our area (zip 35758), digital channel lineup does include guide data for the 901-905 channels as well as the rest of the digital channels, though only the 901-905 channels are actually mapped to 901-905. All the others are on the xx-yyy format channels, so no guide data. 901-905 however, are mapped as 901-905, and guide data exists for 901-905. So the standard broadcast stations are available that way without an antenna. My S3 is getting them just fine. My HD, not so much.

..dane
Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
audiodane

When I try to go into "Signal Strength - Cable" the Tivo says, "Signal Strength is unavailable because your cable channel lineup has no digital channels." However, I selected "digital cable (get cablecard later)" on the Guided Setup; AND I can clearly see all the digital channels in the "Channel List" lineup. The 901-905 as well as all the other digital channel offerings from Knology.

I will re-run channel scan again, but I don't think that it's going to have any impact on anything..

What's going on here?

..dane

EDIT- this thread has been continued here

Last edited by audiodane : 03-26-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added reference to more recent thread