TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
atomarchio

Moca solution recommended/supported by Tivo?

After experiencing issues with slow MRS on my Premieres with Wireless N adapter, I have decided to purchase the Moca Coax-Ethernet solution.

Just based on what I've read here and realizing wireless is not going to work to my satisfaction.

Is there a particular brand/model recommended for Premiere? I do have an Amplifier in my setup from Time Warner Cable because of high number of cable TV connections in my home. I also have a DLINK DIR-655 router with Digital Cable/Home Telephone bundle.

If there's a particular brand/model you could suggest it would be helpful.

Please let me know. Thanks.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
moyekj

Well TiVo is selling an Actiontec MoCA bridge @tivo.com so that would be a safe bet (and I'm sure you could buy the same model elsewhere cheaper):
https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessor...ng.do#ECB2500C
But like 802.11* stuff there are specific standards to be followed so pretty much any model should work. I've been using discontinued Moto NIM100 units purchased from Ebay for years without issue (though they are bridging each other not communicating with Elite/XL4).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
atomarchio

Just called Tivo, they said I have to purchase a MOCA service from Time Warner and have them install. Is that correct?

Can someone help me understand what needs to be done with Time Warner before the equipment arrives?

And do I need 1 or 2 of these adapters?

Please help. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
moyekj

No, that's bull you don't need cable company to get involved. Setup depends on exactly what you want to do and what TiVo units you have that you want to network together. For example Elite/XL4 has built in MoCA capability where Regular or XL Premiere units do not. So you will need to supply more details about your setup. Also important to know is if 1 of your Premiere unit resides beside your router or not.

In my example I have 1 Premiere upstairs in office right next to a router, 1 Premiere in Living Room and 1 S3 OLED unit in a bedroom and a total of 3 MoCA units bridging them all together. 1 MoCA unit has to connect to your router.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
atomarchio

I have a DIR655 router in basement with Cable Modem from Time Warner. Then I have a Tivo Premiere XL in bedroom.

So the Premiere unit is not in the same room as router. So I would need to purchase one of the MOCA adapters and place by router with second unit in the bedroom by the Premiere, right?

Is there anything else I need to know or add't equipment to purchase?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
RoanokeHokie
"Lucky" 200 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
I have a DIR655 router in basement with Cable Modem from Time Warner. Then I have a Tivo Premiere XL in bedroom.

So the Premiere unit is not in the same room as router. So I would need to purchase one of the MOCA adapters and place by router with second unit in the bedroom by the Premiere, right?

I think you should also purchase and install a MoCA Point of Entry (PoE) Filter where the cable drop first enters your home. Without installing a filter, it's possible that other subscribers on your node (e.g. your neighbors) could also pick up your MoCA signal & gain access to your network.
TiVo Premier XL 04/07/12
RoanokeHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post

Correct, 2 units bridging together is all you need. As mentioned above a POE filter would be an optional thing to add as well though it is not required (I don't have one but I have an 8-way amplified splitter at POE which effectively kills return path to outside anyway). But it's cheap enough where you can throw one in the cart from wherever you buy your MoCA units from.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Go MoCA!!! You will love it. My MRS and transfers are crazy fast.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
news4me2

If you need to hook up more networked devices than your TiVo in each remote room, you can use this Channel Master 4 Port Moca Device:

http://www.channelmaster.com/CM6004_...pter_s/285.htm

It's about $100 on Amazon or directly from Channel Master.

I have been using one of these along with a couple of NetGear Moca devices non-stop for the last 4 months without flaw...
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
atomarchio

The only question for me at this point is whether I should purchase NetGear or ActionTec Moca's solution.

Does anyone has comments/preferences between these two? Anything in particular I should pay attention to when comparing?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by news4me2 View Post
If you need to hook up more networked devices than your TiVo in each remote room, you can use this Channel Master 4 Port Moca Device:

http://www.channelmaster.com/CM6004_...pter_s/285.htm

It's about $100 on Amazon or directly from Channel Master.

I have been using one of these along with a couple of NetGear Moca devices non-stop for the last 4 months without flaw...
Or you could just buy this for less than $15 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Fios...item19d0efc599

I bought several of these for my house and they work perfectly. You can connect multiple devices and you can use them as a wireless access point if you need to.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Or you could just buy this for less than $15 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Fios...item19d0efc599

I bought several of these for my house and they work perfectly. You can connect multiple devices and you can use them as a wireless access point if you need to.
There should be a notation with these... You will need at least some knowledge of networking as you are turning this router into a MOCA bridge.. Not that this is hard to do but it is not just plug and play

And they have not been going with everything included for less then 15 dollars on ebay for quite awhile. They will still run about 25-35 bucks with power adaptor and antenna included
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
There should be a notation with these... You will need at least some knowledge of networking as you are turning this router into a MOCA bridge.. Not that this is hard to do but it is not just plug and play

And they have not been going with everything included for less then 15 dollars on ebay for quite awhile. They will still run about 25-35 bucks with power adaptor and antenna included
The instructions are online and are VERY simple. You don't need any knowledge of networking. You just need the ability to follow simple instructions.

Most people don't even know what MoCa is. People who do know should be able to handle the instructions.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

If it hasn't been mentioned, the amp's placement should come before the point of entry splitter, as it most likely won't pass the moca signal through it.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
DonaldBurns65144

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
No, that's bull you don't need cable company to get involved. Setup depends on exactly what you want to do and what TiVo units you have that you want to network together. For example Elite/XL4 has built in MoCA capability where Regular or XL Premiere units do not. So you will need to supply more details about your setup. Also important to know is if 1 of your Premiere unit resides beside your router or not.

In my example I have 1 Premiere upstairs in office right next to a router, 1 Premiere in Living Room and 1 S3 OLED unit in a bedroom and a total of 3 MoCA units bridging them all together. 1 MoCA unit has to connect to your router.
True, but only if you don't have Verizon FIOS. FIOS network router also does MOCA and so you don't need a MOCA adapter with it.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
fyodor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
The instructions are online and are VERY simple. You don't need any knowledge of networking. You just need the ability to follow simple instructions.

Most people don't even know what MoCa is. People who do know should be able to handle the instructions.
Here are the instructions in case the OP wants to decide. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1145636

Regarding connecting multiple devices, you can also get a pair of dedicated bridges and plug one into a switch. Then anything connected to the switch will automatically have access to the coax network.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I have the Netgear and it works better than anything I've ever used. Just dive into this people because it really works. MoCA is an awesome solution.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I agree about the Netgear MoCA boxes. So much better than WiFi (even N) and I can even use the Elite as a bridge to connect a PS3, BluRay Player, another TiVo (HD) and a PC. This leaves my wireless network for things that really need it, like laptops and phone.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #19
MichaelK

I bought the POE filter- seemed like cheap insurance to be sure- but seems to me you can enable a pin/password for moca and then you don't even need that? I've read it helps keep the signal stronger but I'm not even sure if that's true either?

Aside from TiVo it doesn't seem anyone besides a couple oddball sellers even bother selling them. If netgear doesn't sell them, include them in the boxes, or recommend them then are they really needed?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I bought the POE filter- seemed like cheap insurance to be sure- but seems to me you can enable a pin/password for moca and then you don't even need that? I've read it helps keep the signal stronger but I'm not even sure if that's true either?

Aside from TiVo it doesn't seem anyone besides a couple oddball sellers even bother selling them. If netgear doesn't sell them, include them in the boxes, or recommend them then are they really needed?
Belt + suspenders = better protection. And a hardware solution is generally better than a software solution.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #21
BigJimOutlaw

I don't know how much more secure POE filters make a network, but they do prevent signal interference between any adjacent homes sharing the same cable tap that also use moca. RCN installs them as a standard part of their Tivo installations for this reason.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #22
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I don't know how much more secure POE filters make a network, but they do prevent signal interference between any adjacent homes sharing the same cable tap that also use moca. RCN installs them as a standard part of their Tivo installations for this reason.
so does Cox with their whole home dvr.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #23
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
so does Cox with their whole home dvr.
Bright House Networks installs them for their WHDVR as well.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Are POE filters unidirectional, the one I have doesn't indicate which way it should be installed.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Are POE filters unidirectional, the one I have doesn't indicate which way it should be installed.
POE should be one directional at point of entry
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #26
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
POE should be one directional at point of entry
Physically though, is there a difference in the direction the filter is installed. There is no arrow indicating the direction of signal. I can only assume that since it isn't marked that it doesn't matter.

Depending on exactly where the POE is filter is installed, on the first splitter or on a cable leading to the first splitter, the direction may be different.

Also, Cox recommends using one on any DOCSIS device on the network, (cable model and tuning adapters) Depending on if the filter is installed on the device itself or on the splitter the direction may be reversed.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Physically though, is there a difference in the direction the filter is installed. There is no arrow indicating the direction of signal. I can only assume that since it isn't marked that it doesn't matter.

Depending on exactly where the POE is filter is installed, on the first splitter or on a cable leading to the first splitter, the direction may be different.

Also, Cox recommends using one on any DOCSIS device on the network, (cable model and tuning adapters) Depending on if the filter is installed on the device itself or on the splitter the direction may be reversed.

good question- mine has a tape band on one end but i couldn't figure if that was the end that blocked or passed- lol. So i hooked it on how it was easiest at the splitter and went with it.

from reading the writing on them it looks like just a filter that blocks the frequencies that moca uses so i figured such a device probably would be omnidirectional. But again- I'm just guessing.

it is good to hear that the cable companies installs the filters- sounds like it's wise to have then.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post

Go MoCA!!! You will love it. My MRS and transfers are crazy fast.
How does it compare against hardwired ethernet speeds?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
How does it compare against hardwired ethernet speeds?
You are limited by the Ethernet limitation of the equation but i believe it maxes out at 270Mbps
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post

You are limited by the Ethernet limitation of the equation but i believe it maxes out at 270Mbps
Wait, I'm confused by this. I though MoCA uses coax only?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote