TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #61
kettledrum

Did anyone else notice that the lyrics were on the monitors during Aerosmith's new song? I guess Steven Tyler didn't want to forget the lyrics on live national TV. Then during "Walk This Way" The monitors were showing a big countdown so that the band wouldn't run over. I didn't notice either of these things with any of the other performances, although I did FF through a good portion of the others.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #62
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I can't beleive Ace added a product placement in his proposal. Shameless!!
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #63
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
On a related note, I cannot BELIEVE that people are making fun of Jennifer Holliday's weird faces after an entire season of Phil Philips's "I just ate a rancid piece of meat" and "I just stepped on an electrified skunk" faces and body contortions.
Why not? If they made fun of P2, then of course they'd make fun of JH. Her faces were very bizarre. For a few minutes I was wondering if she was doing it on purpose just to weird people out, but then I realized she was serious. Sometimes it looked as if she was angry at Jessica for trying to steal her spotlight and was trying to scare her off the stage.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #64
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I LOVE Jennifer Holiday!!!
I think I just enjoy OTT performances.

If you noticed, Jessica started out that duet singing as Jessica Sanchez but over the course of the song she began to mimic Jennifer.
By the end of the song Jessica had morphed into mini Jennifer- she couldn't help herself.
It was a bit bizarre to watch.
I thought it was pretty cool. It shows that Jessica will be great on Broadway one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH View Post
Jennifer Hudson looked like a stark raving mad lunatic singing that song with Jessica (she was dressed nice though ). She looked really different to me though - much older that I thought she should.
You're not serious right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Dial Idol nails the winner again..
Who needs Dial Idol when you have Johnny Dancing to predict the winner and runner up after the first live show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Reba and Skylar looked like siblings.
Yeah, if Skylar was the Joker on Batman. One too many facelifts for Reba forces her face into a creepy smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
Maybe because he was more entertaining than Jessica.
And most serial texters are young white girls who love a cute guy and his guitar.

Quote:
All Joshua does is scream. When he tries to sing with emotion he falters badly.
Back when I was a teen my parents would say why do you listen to that rock and roll, all they do is scream...

Bahhh stay of my lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
Ha! I totally forgot about Lee Dewwize (or however you spell it). Man - season 9 was a STINKER:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ni_album_sales
That season tried to bring in a lot of singer song writer artists and had a few of my favorites who got kicked off way to soon:
Lilly Scott
Siobhan Magnus
Didi Benami
Alex Lambert

====================
And my personal favorite quote from last week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I'm gonna quote this so I can laugh when you're wrong.
Crickets.....

See you all in next year's AI threads!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #65
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Did anyone else notice that the lyrics were on the monitors during Aerosmith's new song? I guess Steven Tyler didn't want to forget the lyrics on live national TV. Then during "Walk This Way" The monitors were showing a big countdown so that the band wouldn't run over. I didn't notice either of these things with any of the other performances, although I did FF through a good portion of the others.
J-Lo lip-synched. I'd bet the farm on it, if I were a betting man. And if I had a farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
They've already "conquered Broadway," and now they are probably desperate for their own reality show. A product placement is a small price to pay to get on national TV for the most drawn out proposal ever (to maximize air-time, no doubt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
Why not? If they made fun of P2, then of course they'd make fun of JH. Her faces were very bizarre. For a few minutes I was wondering if she was doing it on purpose just to weird people out, but then I realized she was serious. Sometimes it looked as if she was angry at Jessica for trying to steal her spotlight.
I think Jennifer has Bell's palsy or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
I thought it was pretty cool. It shows that Jessica will be great on Broadway one day.
Jessica will not be on Broadway. She'll be making albums and doing concerts. She is not the theatrical type. Worst case for her is being a huge seller in the Filipino market, and I think she'll do a lot better than that.

Quote:
That season tried to bring in a lot of singer song writer artists and had a few of my favorites who got kicked off way to soon:
Lilly Scott
Siobhan Magnus
Didi Benami
Alex Lambert
I really liked Siobhan. I thought she had a much better shot at making it than Dewyze.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #66
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
Ha! I totally forgot about Lee Dewwize (or however you spell it). Man - season 9 was a STINKER:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ni_album_sales
There was some good talent on that season. I loved Crystal Bowersox.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #67
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
There was some good talent on that season. I loved Crystal Bowersox.
Measuring by who won - it was bad. Crystal was good though. And, as always, the people in fifth or sixth place are often robbed.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #68
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarnay02
Chaka Khan can be no more dead meat
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #69
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC
Why not? If they made fun of P2, then of course they'd make fun of JH. Her faces were very bizarre. For a few minutes I was wondering if she was doing it on purpose just to weird people out, but then I realized she was serious. Sometimes it looked as if she was angry at Jessica for trying to steal her spotlight and was trying to scare her off the stage.
I never really noticed anybody making fun of Phil's faces or body tics.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #70
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
A lot of people compare them to what Dave Matthews does. Not sure if that's making fun of him, though.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #71
Dnamertz

Quote:
All Joshua does is scream. When he tries to sing with emotion he falters badly.
Sining loudly is not the same as "screaming". He sang with emotion very well. Some of his performances in the style of James Brown or Little Richard were completely amazing. Even though he sang excellent, I think the style of music he sang was too old for the AI audience and that is why he got voted off. But saying "all he does is scream" is not accurate.
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #72
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
There were several comments about them.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #73
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnamertz View Post
Sining loudly is not the same as "screaming". He sang with emotion very well. Some of his performances in the style of James Brown or Little Richard were completely amazing. Even though he sang excellent, I think the style of music he sang was too old for the AI audience and that is why he got voted off. But saying "all he does is scream" is not accurate.
There's something about the tone of Joshua's voice that can be grating. Maybe it's not "screaming" but I understand the complaints. Fantasia's voice is that x100.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #74
Dnamertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
There's something about the tone of Joshua's voice that can be grating.
Even though I don't find it grating, I can understand how people hear it that way...because I feel the same way about Philip's voice.
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #75
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
Isn't it obvious, David? He's saying "I need a few more posts before I can spam with links"!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #76
SNJpage1

I guess next year the females should just forget about trying out for the show. The WGWG will be the winner.
I still think the producers rigged the voting. They gave Jess an original song to sing that wasn't her style. Even Randy pointed that out. They gave Phil a song that was a perfect match to his voice and style. That alone is what I think rigged the votes in his favour. I don't see Phil selling a lot of albums. I do see a great future for Jessica.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #77
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know if anybody else caught it, but when responding to the judges' criticism about the last song, Jessica said she wanted to *pick* a song that would fit her. I wonder if that was a slip-up, or if there still is some degree of choice? Maybe they're given three or four songs to choose from and that was the best of the worst, so to speak.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #78
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I guess next year the females should just forget about trying out for the show. The WGWG will be the winner.
I still think the producers rigged the voting. They gave Jess an original song to sing that wasn't her style. Even Randy pointed that out. They gave Phil a song that was a perfect match to his voice and style. That alone is what I think rigged the votes in his favour. I don't see Phil selling a lot of albums. I do see a great future for Jessica.
No voter changed how they were going to vote after hearing the final two sing the last time. The final performance show had nothing to do with who won.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #79
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
And my personal favorite quote from last week:
Quote:
I'm gonna quote this so I can laugh when you're wrong.
Crickets.....

See you all in next year's AI threads!
Drats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
A lot of people compare them to what Dave Matthews does. Not sure if that's making fun of him, though.
Because making fun of Dave Matthews would make me reach through the screen and cut a bitch.

Quote:
And this is exactly why I know the "fix is in!" post is BS because there's no way they want this to continue. If anything the fix will be in to make sure all the girls that make the top 24 are far better than any of the guys next year. That's really the only thing they can do unless they start rigging votes.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #80
SNJpage1

According to a news bit on AOL Phillip had 8 surgeries for kidney stones since the competition started. He has to have one more that will lay him up for about 3 weeks. From the way it sounded he may be in the hospital right now having it.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #81
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Dave Matthews is a terrible vocalist, great musician. Phil is a better vocalist and a very good musician. Phil will do well IF he avoids being "handled" by those 19E/Interscope vultures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #82
Magister
Fat, Dumb and Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday
I laughed at the plug and very rehersed moment. Wouldn't be surprised to find out it was part of dress rehearsal.

JFRIDAY - Lets vote off Joe, then eat him.
XBOX - DemanoRock
Magister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #83
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
And this is exactly why I know the "fix is in!" post is BS because there's no way they want this to continue. If anything the fix will be in to make sure all the girls that make the top 24 are far better than any of the guys next year. That's really the only thing they can do unless they start rigging votes.
Why would they decide that now? It's now been 5 years in a row. The judges have some sway but not enough to reverse the trend. If they could change the trend then Joshua would have won.

And looking at the top 24 this year, I already thought the girls group was much, much stronger than the guys.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #84
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Never underestimate the power of the teeny bopper vote.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #85
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Dave Matthews is a terrible vocalist, great musician. Phil is a better vocalist and a very good musician. Phil will do well IF he avoids being "handled" by those 19E/Interscope vultures.
I can agree Dave isn't the greatest vocalist but his voice is unique and when he's on, he's really on. Add that with him being a fantastic musician, performer and damn charismatic on stage and yeah.
Phillip is a better vocalist now but he hasn't been touring non stop every year for 20+ years. I think Dave at 21 and Phillip are pretty comparable in the talent department. Another reason I love Phillip so much. He's like my future Dave replacement when Dave can no longer do this.... that is, like you said, if Phillip doesn't let 19 handle him.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #86
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
I still think the producers rigged the voting. They gave Jess an original song to sing that wasn't her style. Even Randy pointed that out. They gave Phil a song that was a perfect match to his voice and style. That alone is what I think rigged the votes in his favour.
Quote:
I don't know if anybody else caught it, but when responding to the judges' criticism about the last song, Jessica said she wanted to *pick* a song that would fit her. I wonder if that was a slip-up, or if there still is some degree of choice? Maybe they're given three or four songs to choose from and that was the best of the worst, so to speak.
Jessica chose her song from a group of possibles as did Phillip.
Choosing the wrong songs was her downfall all season long.

"As for Sanchez’s power ballad “Nothing Changes"? “It did bomb, didn’t it?” Iovine remarked. “The song didn’t work well live.” Sanchez had her choice of “three or four different songs,” he added. “We don’t force the kids to do anything.”"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ido...medium=twitter
Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #87
tiams

Quote:
According to a news bit on AOL Phillip had 8 surgeries for kidney stones since the competition started. He has to have one more that will lay him up for about 3 weeks. From the way it sounded he may be in the hospital right now having it.
Phil was on Leno last night.

Last edited by tiams : 05-25-2012 at 12:00 PM.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #88
andyw715

The best part of the show was them singing the telephone book. The rest...meh.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #89
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
I can agree Dave isn't the greatest vocalist but his voice is unique and when he's on, he's really on. Add that with him being a fantastic musician, performer and damn charismatic on stage and yeah.
Phillip is a better vocalist now but he hasn't been touring non stop every year for 20+ years. I think Dave at 21 and Phillip are pretty comparable in the talent department. Another reason I love Phillip so much. He's like my future Dave replacement when Dave can no longer do this.... that is, like you said, if Phillip doesn't let 19 handle him.
I can agree with that. When Dave gets right in the pocket, he's quite good, and it's usually in a way that's very difficult for others to duplicate. I couldn't imagine anyone being able to cover his music. Even Phil struggled to convey DM despite being a much more capable vocalist.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #90
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
How is he supposed to avoid them?
He is signed, sealed, and delivered.

Maybe you mean "how tight a leash will they keep him on?"