TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
gloddy

Remote codes not working for Sylvania TV

I've tried all the remote code the tivo showed me, twice actually. Suggestions?
gloddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

What's your TV's model number? How old is it? Sylvania TVs are actually Philips, so try all of the Philips or Magnavox codes, too.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
juanian

I am having the same kind of problem trying to get the TiVo remote to control a Sylvania VCR/TV combo SRC2213. Based on some other posts, it seems like the TiVo remote doesn't deal with combo units very well, but I can hope! (I have also tried the Philips and both sets of Magnavox codes.)

Also, the code 0088 doesn't seem to work with the old and new TiVo peanut remotes I have. Entering the code doesn't give the three blinks like the other codes do.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

You should try using the Code Search functionality listed on the support site

How Do I Perform a Code Search If None of the Codes for My Manufacturer Work?
http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv1035.htm?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatraz
You should try using the Code Search functionality listed on the support site

How Do I Perform a Code Search If None of the Codes for My Manufacturer Work?
http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv1035.htm?
You know, that rings a bell -- thanks! (I thought that that code search functionality was for some other remote, but I guess I was wrong.) I'll give that a try tonight. (Now all I need to do is figure out how to determine which code set finally works (if any), so I will be able to directly set it in the future. (Some remotes have a way of determining which code set is currently in use -- I'll look around to see if there is one for TiVo peanut remotes.)
Old 09-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
Edmund
Remote Czar

There's no way of blinking back the code on peanut remote.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:38 AM   #7
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
There's no way of blinking back the code on peanut remote.
thanks for the info . . .
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 PM   #8
Jasoco

I'm in the same boat here. Except I have now tried every single thing with no results for my Input button.

I went through all the codes in the list for Sylvania, Philips and Magnavox.

I went through the entire code search.

I even tried entering every code manually.

I can't see why my TV wouldn't be supported. It's brand new, but it's a model that has remained virtually unchanged for 4 years. (We have an older model in the Living room and the newer one here.

It's a Sylvania flat 27". (Sylvania 6427FE)

I bought it based on its number of inputs and now find out the damn input codes don't even work! WTF? My RCA TV worked fine when I had it. And that one was at least 5 years old.

Could the remote have anything to do with it? It's from a Series 2 bought in February 2003. (Before the S2's got the silver facelift.)
Jasoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 AM   #9
Edmund
Remote Czar

Sure, a newer peanut might have codes that yours doesn't. But you can find out right now, are there codes in the menu that you don't get 3 blinks when tried? That means the codes aren't in your remote, but are in newer remotes. The on-screen list is upto date, the remote may not.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:14 AM   #10
Jasoco

Yes. Actually, a couple did do it. Darn. I guess the only way to fix it is to get a newer remote?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
festusMA

Are you guys sure it's not the TV?

My Sylvania has stopped accepting signals from both my TiVo remote AND my Sylvania remote. I've seen a bunch of threads around from people who have the same problem... it seems to be the TVs sensor that won't recognize the remotes... but no one seems to sure. And I haven't found any cures that work yet.
festusMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
Jasoco

Not me. Because mine still accepts the Sylvania remote, and works perfectly with TiVo's POWER button, but Input will not work at all. I don't know about volume (I think it works) because I use a 5.1 reciever surround system that ALSO won't accept the TiVo remote. (Mainly because it's a Venturer $50 budget thing. But hell, it works. Just without volume control from the TiVo remote.)

I really REALLY wish Logitech would give TiVo the royal Harmony treatment and create a remote specifically designed as a TiVo remote with the same universal automated features all the rest of the Harmonies have.

I'm talking about having Play/Pause in the correct centered position, being durable so if it's dropped it won't necessarily break right off the bat... You know? I mean they did it for the damn Xbox 360. Do it for TiVo, man! TiVo! (Every single universal remote I've seen has always had the Pause/Play button (The most used of ANY TiVo user aside from the direction arrows and select.) in the wrong place. Some remotes say "Works with TiVo!" but have the Play and Pause buttons DOWN AT THE BOTTOM! It's hard enough trying to hit Delete or Enter on this thing. I want it direct center. Prominently displayed. And if it's not too much to ask, bright shiny yellow.

Anyway, end rant. It would solve every remote problem ever had with TiVo's remote.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
nanette01

sylvania remote codes won't work

Hello, I have a Sylvania TV combo with DVD (model #6620LDF) and I talked with TIVO for about an hour and we could never get a code that works, so I have to use the TV remote for volume, must and power. I did a search twice for the codes and that did not work either.

I'm open to any ideas anyone has, would a new TIVO remote help?
nanette01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #14
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanette01
Hello, I have a Sylvania TV combo with DVD (model #6620LDF) and I talked with TIVO for about an hour and we could never get a code that works, so I have to use the TV remote for volume, must and power. I did a search twice for the codes and that did not work either.

I'm open to any ideas anyone has, would a new TIVO remote help?
Sorry, but you're out of luck. TV/dvd combo us the codeset of the dvd player, so searching TV codes fails. And you will only find TV CODES in the peanut remote.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #15
joe12

1251 & 3409 Remote Code for Sylvania TV/DVD Combo

1251 & 3409 Remote Code for Sylvania TV/DVD Combo. TV code is 1251, DVD code is 3409.

We bought a Sylvania LCD TV/DVD Combo, SSL15D6, $300 at Sam's. The combo's great, we'd buy it again, and in fact may yet buy a second one.

However, the Sylvania remote sucks, especially for a nearsighted 70-year-old household member. So we bought an RCA Universal Remote, RCR450, $13 at Home Depot. It came with a list of codes to try, the last codes listed worked. This remote has fewer and larger buttons than most remotes, and works fine. We're quite happy with it.

(This remote will control, it says, up to four devices. We also have a several-year-old Toshiba VCR; the remote works with this as well, although getting the button sequence figured out was tricky at first. Please note that this remote does not have an eject button.)
joe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #16
bruin90

Smile Sylvania TV - TIVO Code

After a while Directv was able to give a fix. For my remote they had me hold TV Pwr and Tivo button 5 seconds until the red light stayed solid. Then they had be enter 0999 (this will allow for an automatic search). Light will flash twice and stay red. Keep pushing channel up until tv turns off. At that point press the enter/jump key to lock code. Then hit power to test.
bruin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #17
excgtech

Sylvania TV Remote Code

My Radio Shack 3 in One remote control (an older one) uses code 171 for the
Sylvania TV Newer Model. That code is not given in the Radio Shack users manual.
excgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #18
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by excgtech
My Radio Shack 3 in One remote control (an older one) uses code 171 for the
Sylvania TV Newer Model. That code is not given in the Radio Shack users manual.
UEI code 171 matches tivo code 0008.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #19
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

and some newer Sylvania's are Funai's, I know my mom's new 20" 4:3 Sylvania LCD is Funai
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #20
Globular
No time to hack

Quote:
UEI code 171 matches tivo code 0008.
Is there a table somewhere that translates these UEI codes to TiVo codes? I have a "Polaroid" 46" LCD and can't find the tivo code for it, but I believe their manual has the UEI codes.
Globular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #21
Edmund
Remote Czar

Sorry but no. Its by trial and error.

Give the mitsubishi codes a try for the polaroid, along toshiba codes and code 0091.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #22
Globular
No time to hack

Quote:
Sorry but no. Its by trial and error.

Give the mitsubishi codes a try for the polaroid, along toshiba codes and code 0091.
No joy on any of those codes...

I'll probably pony up for one of the TiVo Glo remotes and just program everything in. I'm not crazy about it, but my right thumb is sore!

Thanks anyway,
-Matt
Globular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #23
amazin

And that's why I no longer purchase Sylvania. When my first remote died, Funai customer service said they were sorry universal remotes don't work. They know the problem. And now my second remote has died. By the way, the remote is made in China. Hmmmmm....
amazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #24
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin
And that's why I no longer purchase Sylvania. When my first remote died, Funai customer service said they were sorry universal remotes don't work. They know the problem. And now my second remote has died. By the way, the remote is made in China. Hmmmmm....
If you do get a third oem remote, buy a universal remote with a learning feature, teach it the commands and put tv remote away.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #25
CALJREICH

Tivo sells a remote that is a learning remote.

$49.99
Usually ships in 24 hours TiVo Glo Premium Remote (black)
The ultimate remote control for your TiVo® box

Backlit keys - Keys light up for readability in a darkened room
Learning capable - Programmable to control power, input, volume, and mute on your TV and A/V receiver using built-in database of commands, or learn these commands directly from your TV's and receiver's remote controls
DVR switch - Controls two TiVo boxes in the same room with the flick of a switch
Gloss black finish, with chrome rim
Controls most TiVo boxes - Works with TiVo Series2™, TiVo Series3™, Humax Series2, Philips Series1, and Philips, Hughes, Samsung, and RCA DIRECTV DVR boxes with TiVo service. Compatible with Pioneer, Toshiba, and Humax DVD recorder boxes with TiVo service (although lacks DVD-specific keys). Does not work with Sony boxes or the Toshiba DVD player with TiVo service (SD-H400).
Requires 4 AAA batteries (not included)
CALJREICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
allyson025

Question sylvania lc420ss8 remote code

Does anyone have a working remote code for this television. Nothing seems to work. I ahve done the 0999 thing multiple times. The TIVO is new the TV is new...whats the excuse?

HELP!!!!!!!!
allyson025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #27
Kevasaki

Any luck with the Sylvania code issue? My wife just bought a Sylvania TV and no joy with the remote codes.
Kevasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #28
Kevasaki

So I gotta get a GLO... Oh well.
Kevasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #29
Edmund
Remote Czar

You could get a aftermarket universal remote that now has a code for the current sylvania/emerson tv's, like the RCA RCRP05B for under $10 at walgreens or $20 at best buy, the sylvania code in the rca remote is TV 1864. Of course they work with tivos.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #30
Katt

Solved: Sylvania 6240FE video in (1&2)

I figured this out!

I tried 5 different "universal" remotes, I found that only the RCA Navilight8 remote control works for this TV - you need to use code 1075 (Philips).

The inputs include a S-Video in, which is nice.

Note: if you change to video in (1 or 2), you can't get back to tuner by powering off - you need to use the remote again. Or you can unplug the TV and let is sit for a while to clear all the settings.

I suspect this is a European remote control code - I have some universal remotes from when I lived in Europe and found that they put out IR codes that were not typically found on US universal remotes. Likely because the equipment wasn't sold in the US so there would be no reason to include the codes.

Either way, this works and the used remotes are widely available on Amazon and Ebay for less than $10.

Katt is offline   Reply With Quote