TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
Infamous XTC

Just got my first TiVo ever, few questions.

I just got my first TiVo ever off eBay, thats right Im a complete newbie, and while I wait for it to ship I have a few questions for you experts.

TiVo Premiere
Model #: tcd746320
45 hour DVR

1) Does this TiVo stream from online sites? (Hulu+, Netflix, Etc.)

2) Is this TiVo able to stream video files from a PC? If yes, is there a SMALL distro of linux that is compatible with tivo to do this? I want to be able to have a dedicated server to keep all my dvd backups on so I can just browse through them on my tivo and play them with a single interface.
I want to use a server and not have to physically have them on the tivo .

3) The tivo I bought says it has 2 tuners, am I able to connect a Cable Card for my cable AND an antenna for over the air channels? or will I have to constantly unhook my cable and hook up my antenna?

4) Does the tivo work as a digital converter box for my antenna?

5) Am I able to put the recordings my tivo records onto a flash drive and transfer them anywhere?

6) Does it have a normal RCA input to record anything else? (xbox, a dvd player, etc)

Thats all I need for now, I've been reading up trying to gather as much info about tivo as possible. I see that they are pretty open to modifications to tivo so if you know any cool hacks / tricks I can do to this let me know!

-Joey
Infamous XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous XTC View Post
1) Does this TiVo stream from online sites? (Hulu+, Netflix, Etc.)
AFAIK Netflix and Hulu+ are the only two online streaming options at this time.

Quote:
2) Is this TiVo able to stream video files from a PC? If yes, is there a SMALL distro of linux that is compatible with tivo to do this? I want to be able to have a dedicated server to keep all my dvd backups on so I can just browse through them on my tivo and play them with a single interface.
I want to use a server and not have to physically have them on the tivo .
Yes. Check the TiVo Home Media Features & TivoToGo forum here.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=35

Quote:
3) The tivo I bought says it has 2 tuners, am I able to connect a Cable Card for my cable AND an antenna for over the air channels? or will I have to constantly unhook my cable and hook up my antenna?
There are two dedicated inputs. One for cable and one for OTA (antenna).
The Tivo combines them internally.

Quote:
4) Does the tivo work as a digital converter box for my antenna?
Yes. It also works as a cable converter box.

Quote:
5) Am I able to put the recordings my tivo records onto a flash drive and transfer them anywhere?
See the answer to question 2. You can transfer shows to your PC and convert them for portable devices or put them on a flash drive to play anywhere.
But here is where it gets tricky. Most cable companies put a copy restriction on programming that prevents this.
You can check this thread
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=451107
and see what the cable companies in your area do.
Programming via OTA (antenna) will always be able to be transferred.
Quote:
6) Does it have a normal RCA input to record anything else? (xbox, a dvd player, etc)
No. The only inputs are coax antenna and coax cable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Infamous XTC

Awesome steve, thanks for the info. I cant wait to get my tivo in the mail and get everything setup.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Wingershute

Did you get lifetime service or monthly service? How much did u pay?

Roamio Plus Lifetime
Mini Lifetime
2 Premieres Lifetime
TiVo S2 doa
8tb server
Wingershute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
Infamous XTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingershute View Post
Did you get lifetime service or monthly service? How much did u pay?
From what I understand you dont HAVE to pay to actually be able to use tivo, you can still record just by hitting the record button, you just cant schedule recordings. In the future I might go month to month, but I don't think I'll be paying for anything when I first get it.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
ajwees41

Quote:
From what I understand you dont HAVE to pay to actually be able to use tivo, you can still record just by hitting the record button, you just cant schedule recordings. In the future I might go month to month, but I don't think I'll be paying for anything when I first get it.
nope you have to pay
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I don't know where you got that idea, it sure didn't come from here (TCF). Any Tivo requires a subscription, whether it be monthly or lifetime.

IF the Tivo is new out of the box and has never been plugged in, you will get a free trial period of 7 days where you will get guide data and be able to schedule recordings.

After that 7 days, the Tivo becomes a "brick". All you will be able to do is manually tune channels and watch live TV. No more networking functions, no more guide data, no more 30 minute buffer for live TV, and you lose the trick play functions for any shows you manage to record in that 7 days.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-29-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Infamous XTC

Well salt on my life, I dont remember where I read it at, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere... Unless I dreamt it haha. But I guess Im just gunna get a lifetime sub then... Anyone wanna trade an iPad 2 for a lifetime sub?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
markp99
TakoKichi

As I recall, an unsub'd Series 2 units could be used as a dumb recorder. Correct?

Maybe that's where you got that impression...
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
Infamous XTC

Probably, Are you able to pay for the entire year up front? or you can only pay month to month? If you can only pay month to month, can you have it automatically taken out of a debit account?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

If you can swing it, go with lifetime. Some benefits include a quick payback and substantial resale value.

They will want to charge monthly, from a credit card. Not sure about a bank withdrawl.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
compnurd

Quote:
Probably, Are you able to pay for the entire year up front? or you can only pay month to month? If you can only pay month to month, can you have it automatically taken out of a debit account?
i believe the only options are MTM or Lifetime

and yes MTM auto debits or charges
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Well salt on my life, I dont remember where I read it at, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere... Unless I dreamt it haha.
There was at one time, some Tivos with DVD that came with a 'Tivo Basic' sub.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25

Those had 3 days of guide data (instead of 14) and VCR like recording functions.
Maybe you read something like that.

Quote:
Are you able to pay for the entire year up front? or you can only pay month to month? If you can only pay month to month, can you have it automatically taken out of a debit account?
If you can swing it, get lifetime service for it and put it on a credit card. Then make your monthly payment to the credit card co. instead of TiVo.
This gives you immediate resale value, and once you pay off the CC, no more monthly payments!

F*CK CANCER!