TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
GoEagles

Wireless 802.11n Adpater - Netgear WNCE2001

Anyone have any experiences with this device? I have a TiVo Elite in one room and a Premiere in the other and sometimes the playback isn't as smooth as I want it to be. I am currently using it now with a TiVo Wireless G adapter.

The Netgear WNCE2001 seems like a good option. I am thinking about this for a coupe of reasons:

802.11n versus 802.11g speeds
USB Powered and doesn't have a power adapter like the Tivo Wireless N
Cheap $18-$25 on eBay versus $55 - $60

I guess the main reason is mostly not trying to have a lot of things plugged into the wall.

Anyone have any recent experiences with this? I saw this thread but that is back in 2007.

Thanks!
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo will only support their own branded Network adapters so, other brands will not work. The Tivo N adapter does not plug into the Premiere's USB port, it connects to the ethernet port after its setup on a PC. Its also a network bridge.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

MoCA is way better than any wireless, including N.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
mattack

Buy a WifI router and use it in bridge mode.. Some do this out of the box, some need ddwrt or another router software installed to do it.. (obviously check for compatibility before you buy something)

Cheaper and allows you to hook up multiple devices to it.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Buy a WifI router and use it in bridge mode.. Some do this out of the box, some need ddwrt or another router software installed to do it.. (obviously check for compatibility before you buy something)

Cheaper and allows you to hook up multiple devices to it.
+1
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Tivo will only support their own branded Network adapters so, other brands will not work. The Tivo N adapter does not plug into the Premiere's USB port, it connects to the ethernet port after its setup on a PC. Its also a network bridge.
Although no USB to Wireless N adapter will work with TiVo, any ethernet to Wireless-N adapter that works with the network should work. I have used the Linksys WGA600N with great results, of course it requires a power outlet. I don't see any speed differences between G and N in my network in any event and just use the TiVo Wireless-G adapters.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Dlink DAP1522 Bridges/APs work well. I can get identical speeds to the Premiere being connected to the wired portion of my network.
Of course you also need to have a wireless network setup properly which means enough APs so that nothing is saturated so you can get the proper bandwidth when needed. Otherwise you won't get identical speeds as a wired connection on the TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I think his issue is like mine not having enough AC outlets to plug the Tivo wireless N bridge in.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
I think his issue is like mine not having enough AC outlets to plug the Tivo wireless N bridge in.
It should be connected to a UPS just like the TiVo. Also you can always get a power strip. Or one of those 1x2 or 1x4 eight inch power cables. I use a bunch of them and they work very well to get multiple power connections for devices from a single outlet.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
GoEagles

True, I could get a power strip, I am just simply not interested in more cords running everywhere. The price of the adapter I think is a little high as well. I brought two Wireless G adapters for $15 and $20, so $60 was a little high even though it would be nice to have the official adapter. The fact that it's powered not by USB is disappointing.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
ajwees41

why doesn't Tivo come with a outlet on the back like most cable boxes have to plug the tv's in? great idea
Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
why doesn't Tivo come with a outlet on the back like most cable boxes have to plug the tv's in? great idea
I would think that is a bad idea. Plus it would needlessly increase the cost of a TiVo. I don't even think I ever used that outlet when I used cable boxes in the past. I've always had a power strip and for the past sixteen years a UPS to connect my components.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would think that is a bad idea. Plus it would needlessly increase the cost of a TiVo. I don't even think I ever used that outlet when I used cable boxes in the past. I've always had a power strip and for the past sixteen years a UPS to connect my components.
I don't since the the wireless n bridge needs power
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
GoEagles

As an update, just hooked up this adapter. Setup on my PC took 2 minutes. It saw my wireless network, added my security settings and it was set up. I hooked it up to my TiVo and streaming and transferring shows is so much faster than the G adapter (duh, I know, but). The best part, it's USB powered. You can find this for about $20 - $25 online used or refurbished.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #15
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
As an update, just hooked up this adapter. Setup on my PC took 2 minutes. It saw my wireless network, added my security settings and it was set up. I hooked it up to my TiVo and streaming and transferring shows is so much faster than the G adapter (duh, I know, but). The best part, it's USB powered. You can find this for about $20 - $25 online used or refurbished.
You are saying the Netgear WNCE2001 USB Wireless-N adapter works with your TiVo? This is the first I have ever seen of any USB Wireless-N adapter working with TiVo if that is true.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #16
loganasu
I'm a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
You are saying the Netgear WNCE2001 USB Wireless-N adapter works with your TiVo? This is the first I have ever seen of any USB Wireless-N adapter working with TiVo if that is true.
It is powered by USB, but you still need to plug the network cable in.
loganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
GoEagles

Let me make a clarification. It is is a small 802.11n adapter that has an Ethernet port that connects to the ethernet port on your TiVo of course. Instead of a power adapter, you can power it via USB. Sorry about that. It's not and small and compact and very speedy. I think the WNCE3001 is dual band, but I transfer shows pretty fast with the new adapter I have and I recommend it way over the TiVo N adapter which is double the price.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganasu View Post
It is powered by USB, but you still need to plug the network cable in.
OK, should have figured that out, but still beats using an AC powered ethernet to wireless adapter.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
OK, should have figured that out, but still beats using an AC powered ethernet to wireless adapter.
Definitely, I like it alot. The TiVo 802.11g adapater was so inconsistent. I would watch one show and not a single stutter or stop. Watch another show right after that and lots of issues. I think the WNCE3001 is dual band, I'll check and see, but this one was easy to set up and fast.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
ajwees41

Quote:
was the tivo you hooked it up to new or did it replace a different connection? the reason I ask is I am wondering if it will with a brand new tivo, or does the tivo need to be runing the latest software?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
GoEagles

Doesn't matter since it's essentially an wireless Ethernet bridge, much cheaper then the TiVo N adapter.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
ajwees41

Quote:
Doesn't matter since it's essentially an wireless Ethernet bridge, much cheaper then the TiVo N adapter.
thanks now waiting for my Tivo's to arrive?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #23
copwriter

RTFM first

I just installed one of these (refurb from Amazon) on a new Premiere and it works perfectly. There was a bump in the road when I didn't RTFM (it's only two pages) and plugged the device into the TiVo without setting up first. You need to plug it into a regular computer, allow it to access your local network, enter the passwords and such, and then disconnect and plug it in to the TiVo. Worked perfectly.
copwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #24
ajwees41

Netgear WNCE2001 is as fast as wired connection

streamed a recording from bedroom to living room no issues

Last edited by ajwees41 : 06-02-2012 at 07:14 PM.