TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
mattack

(Spelling Bee & Geography Bee) vs History Bee

I watched the Spelling Bee (ESPN and/or ESPN2), Geography Bee (PBS - though maybe not an official PBS show), History Bee (History) over the weekend. Funny thing is, I guess I wish they were spread out, but they were all clumped together, so I watched them over the weekend.

The Spelling Bee had impossible words as usual... The Geography Bee had impossible questions as usual.

The (first) History Bee was ridiculous. These were supposedly champion kids, and all of the questions were VERY easy. I knew the vast vast majority of them off the top of my head. They were basically all the kinds of questions you'd hear on game shows (Jeopardy, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, etc.), and towards the EASIER end of the scale for Jeopardy!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Jayjoans

We just flipped past the history bee, we were struck at how clueless Al Roker is.
Jayjoans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I watched the Spelling Bee (ESPN and/or ESPN2), Geography Bee (PBS - though maybe not an official PBS show), History Bee (History) over the weekend.
Originally, the National Geographic Bee (it was originally called the National Geography Bee but changed its name a few years ago) was produced by a PBS station, but I think National Geographic Channel (which also airs it) produces it now.

Speaking of the National Geographic Bee: I missed it, and heard that there were some changes to the format - something about "challenge questions" and earning points rather than the old "two-misses-and-out" method. Does anybody have any particulars on this?

Quote:
The (first) History Bee was ridiculous. These were supposedly champion kids, and all of the questions were VERY easy. I knew the vast vast majority of them off the top of my head. They were basically all the kinds of questions you'd hear on game shows (Jeopardy, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, etc.), and towards the EASIER end of the scale for Jeopardy!
Easy for adults, but remember, these are middle school students. How many kids (how many adults, for that matter) know who the third member of the Apollo XI crew was?

My two main problems with the History Bee were, there was a broad definition of history (a considerable number of questions were more "civics" or "political science" than history), and it came across as half history and half World Series of Pop Culture. (They're giving out a $50,000 scholarship in part on who knows something about the TV series M*A*S*H? Just because it ended before these kids were born doesn't make it "history".)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Speaking of the National Geographic Bee: I missed it, and heard that there were some changes to the format - something about "challenge questions" and earning points rather than the old "two-misses-and-out" method. Does anybody have any particulars on this?
Sorry, I don't remember the exact details, but this one was edited for time (they said that), though it didn't seem any worse than previous years -- fit in an hour timeslot, and the usual ~53-55ish minute length for PBS shows, IIRC.

But anyway.. Some questions had a way they could go for bonus points after the main question. But I don't remember the penalty, since sometimes they DIDN'T go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Easy for adults, but remember, these are middle school students. How many kids (how many adults, for that matter) know who the third member of the Apollo XI crew was?
But, like I implied, I'm an adult and didn't know ANY of the Spelling Bee nor Geographic Bee answers. Simply being alive (and admittedly being a trivia person), I knew the vast vast vast majority of the History Bee questions off the top of my head with no difficulty. It was way too easy. Even the kids' Jeopardy! week is harder.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote