TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

American Idol "Top 2 performance finale show" 5/22/2012 *spoilers*

Jessica was pretty good in performance 1. Not her best performance by any means.
I'm not a Phillip fan by any stretch of the imagination but I thought he took round 1.

Even though the judges thought she won round 1, I thought this was MUCH better than her first song.
Quite a nice performance by Phillip.

Another craptacular Idol "winner" song. She sang it well but the song itself sucked rear end!
A better song and he did well.

I'd like Jessica to win but not sure she will with all the teenage girls going crazy for Phillip. In any event I don't care if he wins.

Last edited by Kamakzie : 05-22-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Nice seeing you start this thread!

Last edited by jay_man2 : 05-22-2012 at 07:44 PM.
jay_man2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
Nice seeing you start tho s thread!
Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

My thoughts:

Round 1
Jessica - I am just to the point that I cannot stand anyone singing that song Jessica sang but she did it as well as expected.
Phillip - Not at all what I'd pick for Phillip but I think he did what he could with it.
I'd call round 1 a tie if not for my bias for Phillip

Round 2
Jessica - She was much better on this one because she was more subdued. I hate it when they think they have to "diva" out every single performance.
Phillip - Sorry but he rocked this even better than when he sang it before. At first I was upset he didn't do Superstition but now I'm glad. (although WTF was that at the end? sounded like someone's instrument took a poo on that last note)
Round 2 goes to Phillip

Round 3
Jessica - I can hear this on the radio. It fit her. Not my cup of tea but I don't think I'd be her target audience anyhow. Strained her vocals a bit but with practice it could sound much better.
Phillip - Okay I think they really put some thought into this song. I'm quite frankly shocked. This is really good! And unique! And not pop! And a perfect fit for his voice and style! Crap now I want him to win, I think! LOL
Round 3 goes to Phillip.

Off I go to vote now when I wasn't originally planning to!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
nyny523
Oy

Wow, Jessica's last song was HORRIBLE!!!

Meanwhile, Phillip's last song was actually quite awesome - I agree with Steven and the Paul Simon comparison - I definitely got a folk/rock vibe that actually suited Phillip.

As for round one and two, I thought Jessica rushed her song round 1, but I really loved her round 2 song. Phillip sounded good round one, but I did not like his round 2 song (I didn't like it the first time he sang it, so at least I am consistent!).

The best part about this finale is that I genuinely have NO idea who is going to win. It really could be either one. My prediction from the very beginning was Jessica, so I guess I will stick with that, but I would not be shocked if Phillip won.

Should be interesting...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Who wrote Jessica's finale song? They should be fired!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Even I liked Phillip's last song
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Wow, this seems like such a mismatch to me (with Jessica being far superior) but the judges continually dismiss her and go on about what a genius Phil Phil is.

I think Jessica is the best singer to appear on Idol as a contestant. Ever. She's a better singer than most of their special guests who are established recording artists, for that matter. Phillip seems like a good kid but to me he's just a Dave Matthews impersonator. Nothing special about him.

But I think Phillip is going to win because he's cut from the same mold as the last several winners, and we know the voting history (Jessica is still around only because of the judges save and Phil has never been in the bottom three).
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Dial Idol has been pretty bad the last few years when multiple contestants are still in it, however when it comes to the top 2 and picking the winner they are 100%. With that being said this years prediction is pretty clear cut.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked Philip's last song, too, but I thought it was pretty easy for him. Much of his singing was accompanied by backing vocals.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #11
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
(although WTF was that at the end? sounded like someone's instrument took a poo on that last note)
It sounded like the guy on the piano just banged on it randomly.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Wow, this seems like such a mismatch to me (with Jessica being far superior) but the judges continually dismiss her and go on about what a genius Phil Phil is.

I think Jessica is the best singer to appear on Idol as a contestant. Ever. She's a better singer than most of their special guests who are established recording artists, for that matter. Phillip seems like a good kid but to me he's just a Dave Matthews impersonator. Nothing special about him.

But I think Phillip is going to win because he's cut from the same mold as the last several winners, and we know the voting history (Jessica is still around only because of the judges save and Phil has never been in the bottom three).
+1
My thoughts precisely. With all due respect to Phillip, he and Jessica are not even in the same class when it comes to singing ability.

I guess I'm in the VAST minority, but I just don't get this "vote as many times as you can" philosophy. How does that accurately portray the majority opinion? There should be a one vote per phone number / ip address limitation -- it's easy enough for the system to enforce.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Even I liked Phillip's last song
That had to be hard to type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Dial Idol has been pretty bad the last few years when multiple contestants are still in it, however when it comes to the top 2 and picking the winner they are 100%. With that being said this years prediction is pretty clear cut.
Wow, I didn't realize they were 100% on finale predictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
+1
With all due respect to Phillip, he and Jessica are not even in the same class when it comes to singing ability.
And if this were American Vocal Ability it would be a KO for Jessica but it's not and that's not just what people vote on. Is she a better vocalist who can belt out better notes? Sure. But as far as the entire package of uniqueness and performance, that IMO goes to Phillip. I realize he's a nice replication of Dave Matthews but who else sounds like that?? Nobody. I personally think SHE is the one that sounds like every other singer out there. There's nothing unique or special about her in any way (other than the fact that she's 16 and can sing that well). To each their own obviously.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post

I guess I'm in the VAST minority, but I just don't get this "vote as many times as you can" philosophy. How does that accurately portray the majority opinion? There should be a one vote per phone number / ip address limitation -- it's easy enough for the system to enforce.
You misunderstand the point of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
That had to be hard to type
It's true- credit where credit is due, LOL.
That might be the best Idol coronation song ever.

If it is true that the contestants chose their coronation song from a list of possibles, then Phillip wins the how to choose a song award. And Jessica screwed up her song choice... again.
It always comes back to song choices on this show.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
That might be the best Idol coronation song ever.
I would tend to agree. Usually the songs are horrid.... one of the reasons I didn't want him to win. BUT if they can help him do an entire album that sounds like that, I'm sold!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
ADG
Allan

Quote:
You misunderstand the point of the show.
Perhaps so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #17
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
I liked Philip's last song, too, but I thought it was pretty easy for him. Much of his singing was accompanied by backing vocals.
That has been the case on many songs where he was required to hit higher notes. Often times you could not even hear him through the background vocals.

Jessica is technically a far better singer and I want her to win but it is very, very rare it seems for the best singer to actually win the competition.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
tiams

Phil actually yawned slightly when he was standing next to Ryan while he was giving out the phone numbers.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Phil actually yawned slightly when he was standing next to Ryan while he was giving out the phone numbers.
By this point they are dead men walking- what with the rehearsals, blocking, wardrobe, press, and all the other assorted minutiae they are made to deal with I doubt they have slept well in months.
Never mind the stress.
If Phillip is as close to being wheeled into surgery as they say (as well as stuffed full of meds) he is probably exhausted beyond belief.
And it's not gonna stop any time soon.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

Meanwhile, Phillip's last song was actually quite awesome - I agree with Steven and the Paul Simon comparison - I definitely got a folk/rock vibe that actually suited Phillip.

As for round one and two, I thought Jessica rushed her song round 1, but I really loved her round 2 song. Phillip sounded good round one, but I did not like his round 2 song (I didn't like it the first time he sang it, so at least I am consistent!).

The best part about this finale is that I genuinely have NO idea who is going to win. It really could be either one. My prediction from the very beginning was Jessica, so I guess I will stick with that, but I would not be shocked if Phillip won.

Should be interesting...
We're totally on the same page. I said to Mrs. S. that PP's winner song sounded like it could have come from "Graceland", and then Steven Tyler said "Paul Simon" (who's music Jlo has probably never heard ) I said that's the first lucid thought he's had all year.

PP wins, even though I hated his Billy Joel cover, and his stupid facial contortions.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Jessica is a fine number 2. While her music and sound is too old timey for radio hits, I can see her on Broadway bursting out with the big song or part of a Vegas act where singers with big showy voices are popular. Like she said during the show, all she knows is how to do is sing.. She will have a long career making a living off that voice. I don't see her working the burger king drive-thru anytime soon - no offense to those of you that work the drive-thrus.

Phil won because he is the Idol type - cute white guy that plays guitar - so by default got most of the tween and middle age housewife votes. (I am keenly tuned into the Idol voting block as I have a tween girl and many tween nieces and while my wife won't admit it she is in the middle aged housewife demo).

It also doesn't hurt that his sound can be catchy and is something that might get occasional radio play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

How do they get their corny songs? If the show gives them to them Jessica got the short end of the stick. I thought Phil's song was more Mumford & Sons than Paul Simon.

Last edited by Johnny Dancing : 05-23-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added quote.
Johnny Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I immediately though Paul Simon when P2 started his second song and was just about to say something when my wife said "That sounds like something from Simon and Garfunkel", especially when the harmonies kicked in! I get the Mumford and Sons reference too, but it all added up to total P2 awesomeness!

I also liked the cheesy marching band a la Tusk!

If he doesn't win, I'll be a little surprised, but I'll be first in line for his album and I KNOW he'll be the bigger star.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
I thought Phil's song was more Mumford & Sons than Paul Simon.
Hell yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
If he doesn't win, I'll be a little surprised, but I'll be first in line for his album and I KNOW he'll be the bigger star.
Me too!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Phil got his song from songwriter Drew Pearson which was originally done by Greg Holden http://youtu.be/0xaUtd01Fyk

(don't watch if you liked P2s version)
Old 05-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
DLL66

I'm hoping for a Philip Philips win. Jessica is a great singer, but I was never moved by her.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
PP wins, even though I hated his Billy Joel cover, and his stupid facial contortions.
Ugh, did he do that slowed down version of Movin' Out again?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #27
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Yes and it was great!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Yes, and it was crap!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #29
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
Yes, and it was crap!
If by crap you mean it was awesome then yes, it was crap!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Lol