TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

The Walking Dead - "Beside The Dying Fire" - OAD 3/18/12 *Season Finale*

Wow. I don't even know what to make of all that.
WTF was that with Andrea at the end?? Were those armless walkers chained to that person/thing??
And WTF Rick. Dude just lost his mind. "This is no longer a democracy."
Then pan out to ..... what was that, a prison?? I vaguely recollect someone saying
Spoiler:
something about a prison in the books so my mind just immediately went there

I have to go to bed. More thoughts tomorrow.
Mind = blown.

Last edited by photoshopgrl : 03-18-2012 at 10:31 PM.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

The reveal of both was for fans of the comic, of course. Hooded figure is

Spoiler:
Mechonne

and yes, that was a prison. If you Google the name, you'll find out more. I'd put in a link, but I'm not sure if the forum still unspoils spoilers when they're embedded links.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
SoBelle0
What's next?

Wow! That was great!!

I hated to see Lori get in the truck and Andrea be left behind.
Yeah! Rick lost it there! Wowser.

The caped figure with prisoners/pets took me completely, and awesomely, by surprise! Just fantastic!!

Prison would be full of even more walkers, right? Crazy!
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
caslu

Wow... way to put down the whining, Rick!
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
More walkers, but locked up

Can't wait for next season, great episode!

Hooded guy was sweet at the end.

You would think they would refuel on the highway and have a full tank. Unless they drove THAT far.

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Beryl

Walking and Talking Dead were good tonight.

Twitter was blown up with people wanting Lori dead.

I never wanted to slap anyone more that Lori -- then Carol and then Carl (but a little less so).

I'm looking forward to the 'hooded figure'.

Last edited by Beryl : 03-18-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I was glad on Talking Dead when somebody called Lori on her hypocrisy freaking out when she found out Rick had done what she frikkin' manipulated him into doing (although Mazzara and Kirkman kind of blew the notion off, which I think is another example of them not always understanding what's going on on their own show).

I notice when Lori was freaking out and flinching away from Rick, they gave him the same zombie breathing sounds they gave Shane last week...
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Billyh1026
Randal Graves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
Prison's are secure enough to keep people out as much as it is to keep them in. I'd bet that final scene was a set up for the set of next season's version of 'The Farm'. Only a prison is much more effective at keeping walkers out than a wooden fence and some barb wire.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Awesome episode! I don't even know where to begin!

Rick is like the show's audience. He's sick of the whining and complaining. He's sick of them making stupid decisions. And he's sick of being treated like a bad guy for doing the right thing. He has finally become the character I've been waiting for since I started watching the show.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Beryl

Also, I'm falling in love with Daryl. (Never thought that would happen.) I wanted to kick Carol off that bike and mount up.

Spoiler:
Helicopter? Whats up with that?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Rick is like the show's audience. He's sick of the whining and complaining. He's sick of them making stupid decisions. And he's sick of being treated like a bad guy for doing the right thing. He has finally become the character I've been waiting for since I started watching the show.
But he could do all that and still be more of a Rick, and less of a dick...

One hopes he will pull back somewhat early next season. The lead being a complete ass isn't going to improve the viewing experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Helicopter? Whats up with that?
(Unspoiled because it was in the episode) There was also a helicopter in Atlanta last season.

One thing that I forgot I was going to mention...at the beginning, the Atlanta zombies looked like they were suddenly drawn...all the way to the farm. What's up with that?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
vikingguy

The season finale was flat out amazing. I admit I was on the edge of my seat most of the episode. Best episode of the show since they were in atlanta in season 1. The new creative staff has really saved this show. I thought andrea was a finished. That new character was completely bad ass just wow. Can't wait for the start of season 3.
vikingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
One thing that I forgot I was going to mention...at the beginning, the Atlanta zombies looked like they were suddenly drawn...all the way to the farm. What's up with that?
They were just showing how a herd forms. All it takes is a few walkers focus on something and they pick up stragglers as they go. Presumably, they had been walking for weeks, and it just happened to be in the direction of the farm.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
But he could do all that and still be more of a Rick, and less of a dick...
I really just want Rick to be Jack Bauer. There, I said it.

If he needs to be a dick to get his Bauer on, I'm totally cool with that.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #15
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I don't know what to think about this episode. I'm glad they finally left the farm. The zombie horde was cool, but I never can help but to nit pick whenever there is a shooting scene. Nobody seems to miss, ammunition is rarely accounted for, and guns (especially a 12ga shotgun) have NO recoil.

At least now we know what Connor said to Rick at the CDC. Although, I'm not particularly pleased with Rick's character turn. He has become a lot more like Shane now. And why did Lori freak out so much when Rick told her about killing Shane, Walker Shane, and Carl dropping Walker Shane? Isn't that basically what she wanted? Was she just betting that Rick would be the one to die so she and Shane could be together? Or was she counting on neither one of them going as far as killing the other and hoping to just keep playing them against each other? If so, to what end? I'm guessing that part of her reaction was a mother realizing that her boy lost his innocence by having to kill a father figure. Plus, maybe she thinks that Rick let (or maybe even encouraged) Carl kill Walker Shane just to earn his Man Card?

The hooded figure with the pet walkers... sooo cool! Definitely tapping into the comic book realm by introducing a mysterious and completely out of the ordinary character. But I don't get why the pet walkers don't try to get her.
Spoiler:
I read the wiki about Michonne and know some of the background of her and the walkers. Even though the walkers have no arms or lower jaw, wouldn't they still constantly try to kill her? If anyone that's read the comics can explain that to me I'd appreciate it.

I like the teaser of the prison. I wonder if that may not be where Randall's friends are living or will the place be abandoned and full of walkers? Maybe even Merle?

Personally, I think a prison would be one of the best places to make a stand and try to start a new life. It's pretty much walker proof from the outside. There are laundry, kitchen and other "amenities". There is enough ground to plant a decent sized garden and maybe raise some livestock. If I came across one, I'd definitely consider staying there for a long time.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
mrdazzo7

Excellent finale. They had mentioned getting a lot of flack for not having as much zombies this season (a complaint I never understood, since the show isn't JUST about zombies), but man did that shut people up... The entire first half was probably one of the craziest things I've seen on TV... Very well shot, well acted, and well edited--couldn't have been easy coordinating all those components in one sequence.

Man Andrea got screwed... for a second I thought she was saved by Randall's people but when they showed the dude he looked way too serious to be a regular survivor. whoever that was, they were ****ing around with no one.

I don't get Lori's hypocrisy either. I really feel like even the writers hate her and want to make us hate her more because the way she's written is just horrible sometimes. She practically begged Rick to kill Shane a few weeks (days) ago and then acts absolutely horrified when he does, even after he explains that Shane lured him into the jungle to kill him. She really only freaked out when she found out Carl had witnessed it but that still doesn't explain her reaction towards Rick.

Even though Lori sucks, at least we got Shane out of the way... My god was he annoying. I "get" where they went with him, but Jon Bernthal did too good of a job because I've wanted Shane off my TV for a while now. I would be ok with keeping Lori around if they wouldn't go out of their way to make her an absolute idiot all the time.

Lots of good set up for next year. The finale reminded me of Lost a bit, with several characters at odds, one character separated from everyone else meets up with a previously unknown group, a big hint of what's to come (the prison). Good stuff.

Last edited by mrdazzo7 : 03-18-2012 at 11:45 PM.
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
They were just showing how a herd forms. All it takes is a few walkers focus on something and they pick up stragglers as they go. Presumably, they had been walking for weeks, and it just happened to be in the direction of the farm.
I suppose that's what they were going for. Too bad that's not what they showed...
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #18
mrdazzo7

Quote:
I suppose that's what they were going for. Too bad that's not what they showed...
How so? that was how I took it... The helicopter was a clue that that scene was a while ago, and all the cut scenes after that were just showing the progression of the herd over time. And unfortunately Shane's gunshot caught their ear as they were nearby (heading in a different direction).
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

But the way it was blocked, it showed them moving in a very determined fashion. Otherwise, why not change direction at the fence instead of piling up against it until it collapsed?

And I agree that your interpretation is almost certainly what they meant. I just think they did a very, very bad job of showing it. It didn't seem at all like a mindless, wandering horde that just happened to stumble across the farm. If I was going to show a horde of zombies being mind-controlled into going to and attacking the farm, that's pretty much exactly how I would do it. And the only reason I was pretty sure that's not what they were up to is that there was nothing to establish that such a thing could happen.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #20
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

The look Rick had on his face after Lori walked away (after learning Shane's fate and Carl's involvement) was interesting. It was like Rick finally has Lori's number. He saw what's she's really become.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #21
Beryl

The audience knows that the farm would have been lost even if Rick and gang never showed up. Too bad Hershel doesn't know about the helicopter and fortunately, he isn't blaming them in this episode for the farm being lost. I'm glad they are keeping him alive. I like older people being among the survivors.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #22
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
But the way it was blocked, it showed them moving in a very determined fashion. Otherwise, why not change direction at the fence instead of piling up against it until it collapsed?
I'm guessing that problem solving skills aren't very common among your average walker. Once the walkers in front hit the fence the ones behind them would just keep piling up. I'm sure that sooner or later the herd stopped piling up but the ones pinned against the fence were already stuck. I just wonder if that was Hershel's sign on the fence?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #23
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
The very end of this really bugged me. There's a herd of 50 or more walkers on the edge of the field and none of those guys noticed while they were searching? Where the hell did those walkers come from?
Well, I guess THAT question was answered within the first 2 minutes.

So I guess Walkers are easily distracted. Something gets their attention and they walk until something else gets their attention. No matter how far.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #24
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

The thing that annoyed me was the reveal of the CDC secret. I thought after last week we eliminated the fact that everyone was infected. If they wanted that to happen then Rick should have never turned his back on Shane after killing or would have pulled a "double tap" and taken Shane out with a stab to the head. Usually I am ok with some sloppiness in storytelling but this one bugs me.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #25
Hcour

I liked the way Rick kind of lost it at the end, ironically coming across a lot like Shane. Nice touch.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #26
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

So yesterday I got Walking Dead Compendium 1 (issues 1-48) from the library (it was out and I had to wait for it!) and read it in basically one day. Today the season finale was awesome, and I already know what some of the mysteries are... yay! Very interesting to see the differences between the comic and the TV show, as well as the similarities.

Don't have too much to add here. Lori is insufferable. Carl is a PITA. Andrea will be seriously pissed off if/when she gets back, no doubt. Carol seems to have gotten a bit too big for her britches: she's not adding enough to the group to warrant suggesting they split up.

Even though I just read the book yesterday I was still surprised when Andrea was saved. I did not expect that at all.

On Talking Dead, Kirkman says that season 3 will pick up with the pace of the ending of season 2 and go beyond it. They've apparently been writing season 3 since January. Who's to say but I do hope they don't have a somewhat unfocused beginning to season 3 like they did for season 2. Although, it was worth it in the end.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #27
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
The thing that annoyed me was the reveal of the CDC secret. I thought after last week we eliminated the fact that everyone was infected. If they wanted that to happen then Rick should have never turned his back on Shane after killing or would have pulled a "double tap" and taken Shane out with a stab to the head. Usually I am ok with some sloppiness in storytelling but this one bugs me.
Rick said he wasn't sure if what he was told was true or not; he didn't know if he should believe it. Then he saw Carl and I guess he was worried enough about what Carl saw and how he would react that he forgot to be concerned.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #28
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Rick said he wasn't sure if what he was told was true or not; he didn't know if he should believe it. Then he saw Carl and I guess he was worried enough about what Carl saw and how he would react that he forgot to be concerned.
Don't buy it. Rick had his back to him and was walking away to leave Shane out there. It was not like Carl surprised him and made him lose focus for a short time to miss the turn. If I was not sure the scientist was correct I would probably watch, preferable from a distance, or just for safe measure pull a double tap. Also if he was not sure seeing the guards had to reinforce the theory thus making it less likely he would turn his back to Shane.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #29
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

I like the fact that the prison has been introduced. Having started reading the comic series, it's fun making all these connections between the comic and the TV show, even the show has taken departures from the comic. To that end, I think it's safe to say that no matter what happens, I'd expect us to be in for some kind of conflict inside that prison, be it from other survivors, walkers, or both.

I noticed once again a huge transition from night time to daytime. Fleeing the farm, it's either night time, or the middle of the night. By the time the gang reunites on the road, it's clearly daytime. I guess we could presume that the battle took place pre-sunrise and the fleeing portion took some time after that. Not sure how much time elapsed, but this group clearly needs fuel for the cars, food, and they've got to be running out of ammo. Perhaps this is where the prison comes in to acquire most or all of those things. I can't help but wonder, though, how long they were driving and how far they got. If there was a HUGE prison anywhere nearby them, how come nobody ever remembered it and thought to go look for it?

If the prison becomes "Farm Part II" for a while, which I assume it does, I hope it moves along a little faster than life on the farm. After awhile, being in one place too long kills the adventure of the show for me a little bit. To me, this group needs to be going somewhere, moving, preferably to find answers and maybe even a cure. I know Rick talked about settling down to build a life, but wouldn't they want to venture out to find help?
TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #30
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
So, Rick also was worried that Carl would turn into a Walker when he was shot. And maybe figured that Sophia was already one and it was his fault for leaving her alone.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote