TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
stod

unencrypted digital channels

My cable system doesn't require a box or cablecard for digital channels. Is there a Tivo box that will receive the digital and analog channels? I am assuming the cable company does something on the pole to open the channels up.
stod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stod View Post
My cable system doesn't require a box or cablecard for digital channels. Is there a Tivo box that will receive the digital and analog channels? I am assuming the cable company does something on the pole to open the channels up.
My cable system doesn't require a box either for digital or for the local Clear-Qam channels and my TV can get them just fine. That being said, my Tivo cannot get those channels without a CableCard. I believe that is the case for most if not all cable systems.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
stod

My cable company will have filters at the pole, they don't do cable cards or boxes. Am I going to be out of luck?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
shwru980r

The S3 and the premiere will tune any analog or digital channel. The elite won't tune analog or OTA channels. The question is will you have guide information for the channels on the Tivo. Check zaptoit.com to see if the channel numbers in the listings for your area match the channel numbers you receive on your TV. If they don't match, then you won't have guide information on the Tivo.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
stod

How do I go about getting the listings updated?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
How do I go about getting the listings updated?
You have to either purchase a TiVo which already has a lifetime subscription to the TiVo service (which is both guide data and the license to use the TiVo software), or you have to get a non-subbed TiVo and buy a lifetime or sub it on a monthly basis (I don't think they offer yearly subs to new owners just now, but you can check with them to see).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
stod

Can the Tivo recognize 84.1 as say NICK, when the Zap2It page just shows the channel as 84? Or will I not be able to get guide data for that?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
classicsat
Astute User

There is no way to have guide data for clear QAM channels, on a TiVo. You need a cablecard from your provider. If your provider has no cablecards, you are SOL on getting full guide for your digital channels.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
stod

am out of luck? Does anybody make a decent hard drive recorder?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
am out of luck? Does anybody make a decent hard drive recorder?
Go to Wal-Mart's website (www.walmart.com) and in the search field enter "Magnavox DVD recorder" and when the results come up look for a model with the numbers 513 in it.

Currently the 513 (a combined hard drive and DVD recorder) runs about $210.

It will scan the digital channels and take note of all unscrambled ones.

It'll be up to you to channel surf after the scan and find out what's where.

There is no guide data, and all recordings will be manual.

For what it is, the machine is great. I've had three of the earlier versions and also have the next model that followed (the 515, no longer available).

Act fast. The manufacturer has stopped making them for now.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
There is no way to have guide data for clear QAM channels, on a TiVo. You need a cablecard from your provider. If your provider has no cablecards, you are SOL on getting full guide for your digital channels.
I question that being true.

If the cable system only offers unencrypted QAM channels, any device with a QAM tuner would be getting whatever channel ID is being carried on a channel's signal.

By rights wouldn't all devices come up with the same channel number after a scan?

If the cable system is only offering unscrambled QAM with appropriate channel numbers, then those channel numbers could be reported to TiVo and a lineup created.

Tribune would have to have SOME type of lineup for that cable system on their records, and it'd have to have the channel numbers required to tune the channels.

Am I wrong here?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
I question that being true.

If the cable system only offers unencrypted QAM channels, any device with a QAM tuner would be getting whatever channel ID is being carried on a channel's signal.

By rights wouldn't all devices come up with the same channel number after a scan?

If the cable system is only offering unscrambled QAM with appropriate channel numbers, then those channel numbers could be reported to TiVo and a lineup created.

Tribune would have to have SOME type of lineup for that cable system on their records, and it'd have to have the channel numbers required to tune the channels.

Am I wrong here?

I have finally run into this situation. I was hoping to save $4/month on a CableCard for a Tivo in a spare bedroom that gets used for occasional "overflow" recordings. The Guide Data shows for all of the encrypted versions of the cable channels but not for the Clear-QAM versions. As a for instance, channel 105-0 is the CBS HD channel and is available on the cable. I can get this channel directly on my TV with no converters and, after a channel scan, I can get this on my Tivo S3HD without a CableCard. But when I get Guide Data, it is for generic channel 105, and not for sub-channel 105-0. Yes, the Tivo has enough information to properly identify the channel as CBS-HD but refuses to apply the Guide Data that it collected for the encrypted version listed as generic 105. The same is true for the digital SD channels that show up (e.g.: 5-1). Guess I'll have to either record the analog versions or pony up the extra monthly fee for another CableCard.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
shwru980r

I think you could set up manual recordings.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
I think you could set up manual recordings.
I suppose, but I'd like to set up a couple of Season Passes. They sure make it difficult to be cheapskate these days.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I have finally run into this situation.....
No. You haven't.

The matter being discussed was a cable system that offers only unscrambled QAM channels.

Your situation is very different.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
No. You haven't.

The matter being discussed was a cable system that offers only unscrambled QAM channels.

Your situation is very different.
You read it one way and I read it another way. In any case, I have the same issue with the unscrambled digital channels that he has.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
lew

Quote:
You read it one way and I read it another way. In any case, I have the same issue with the unscrambled digital channels that he has.
Tivo is designed to work with cable cards. You can rent a cable card and use your tivo as it was designed to work.

The OPs cable system doesn't use cable cards. He can't rent a cable card. His tivo can only be used for manual recordings.

Your situations are different.

The Moxi unit worked fine with clear QAM stations. The unit is no longer being sold. You could try Ebay. No idea how long Moi will continue offering guide data.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Tivo is designed to work with cable cards...
Now if only cable cards had really been designed to work with TiVos and other things the cable company doesn't rent to you.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Tivo is designed to work with cable cards. You can rent a cable card and use your tivo as it was designed to work.
Yes, but my point is that the Tivo Guide Data selectively covers the channels broadcast by a cable company. That, in effect, forces one to use a CableCard where one is not necessarily needed. I understand that there is no way I can get my higher level HD channels without a CableCard but, on this box, I would be willing to live with that. All I'm really griping about is the fact that the unscrambled Basic level channels are not covered by Guide Data.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Yes, but my point is that the Tivo Guide Data selectively covers the channels broadcast by a cable company. That, in effect, forces one to use a CableCard where one is not necessarily needed. I understand that there is no way I can get my higher level HD channels without a CableCard but, on this box, I would be willing to live with that. All I'm really griping about is the fact that the unscrambled Basic level channels are not covered by Guide Data.
In other words you're saying that you don't like the fact that ClearQAM channels aren't supported in the guide like all the other posts on the same subject?

Of all the ClearQAM discussions I really am somewhat surprised you wound up in this discussion thread which is uniquely about a user that has a cableco that doesn't support CableCARDs at all and not one of the many ClearQAM discussions.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #21
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
In other words you're saying that you don't like the fact that ClearQAM channels aren't supported in the guide like all the other posts on the same subject?

Of all the ClearQAM discussions I really am somewhat surprised you wound up in this discussion thread which is uniquely about a user that has a cableco that doesn't support CableCARDs at all and not one of the many ClearQAM discussions.
This thread is what popped up when I searched the Community. I didn't use the search word "ClearQAM" otherwise I probably would have ended up finding those other discussions. Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, I did not read the OP as saying that his cable company ONLY provided unscrambled channels. Sorry I wasted your valuable time.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
This thread is what popped up when I searched the Community. I didn't use the search word "ClearQAM" otherwise I probably would have ended up finding those other discussions. Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, I did not read the OP as saying that his cable company ONLY provided unscrambled channels. Sorry I wasted your valuable time.
I only commented in that manner because the ClearQAM discussion has been beaten to death over the years and while it's something I'd expect a new user to be unfamiliar with, it's not someone I'd expect from a user that's been around here for a while.

Thus my surprise at the interest in rehashing the ClearQAM issues in a thread that's not about ClearQAM after it was pointed out.