TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #31
Boston Fan
Registered User
 
Boston Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
So did Paul Revere.
He was a Westerner to the Brits.
Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #32
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,370
I doubt if Paul Revere had six shooters. Looks like 1818 for the first six shooter.
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #33
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Is it one episode per week or 3 nights in a row?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #34
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I doubt if Paul Revere had six shooters. Looks like 1818 for the first six shooter.
Never underestimate American ingenuity!
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #35
nyny523
Oy
 
nyny523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 27,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Is it one episode per week or 3 nights in a row?
3 nights in a row. 2 hours each night.
__________________
LET'S GO METS!!!
nyny523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,492
You might want to manually set the recordings -- I set up an SP (first run) and, initially, all three were scheduled. Then I checked today, and the the second was missing. Only reason given was that it was within the 28 day period....which is nuts because each ep is singularly named with a 1, 2 or 3.
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #37
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,477
When I first set it up, it was six one-hour episodes. Now, it's three two-hour episodes. So you might want to be sure that it's not just two ones being replaced by a two...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde
I doubt if Paul Revere had six shooters. Looks like 1818 for the first six shooter.
Hatfields and McCoys mostly used rifles but did have handguns. Six shooters? Maybe. Not sure.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #39
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
You might want to manually set the recordings -- I set up an SP (first run) and, initially, all three were scheduled. Then I checked today, and the the second was missing. Only reason given was that it was within the 28 day period....which is nuts because each ep is singularly named with a 1, 2 or 3.
I'll be watching it at history.com
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #40
DanB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 339
well, since its on History Channel I guess it will be entertaining but not historically correct
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #41
uncdrew
Annie 2.0
 
uncdrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Down South
Posts: 50,912
This is gonna be awesome.

Not knowing many details, I'm starting out as a McCoy fan. Huge on the McCoy's. Those Hatfields are a bunch of yellow-bellied, good fur nuthin', lyin' and stealin'...
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #42
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,477
But the McCoys are Communists!
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #43
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
This is gonna be awesome.

Not knowing many details, I'm starting out as a McCoy fan. Huge on the McCoy's. Those Hatfields are a bunch of yellow-bellied, good fur nuthin', lyin' and stealin'...


The Hatfields were pure trash.
And MEAN.
__________________
Hoop diddy do!
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #44
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 22,420
TC CLUB MEMBER
It looks a little cruel for my normal tastes, but this one looks particularly good, and I like the cast, so I'm in. SP set. Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to do it.
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by human error
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #45
Graymalkin
Style and Panache
 
Graymalkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 48,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But the McCoys are Communists!
Given that one of their descendants, Jack McCoy, became the most liberal activist district attorney in New York City history, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were Marxists!
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #46
tiellv
Pluviophile
 
tiellv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,740
Thanks for the heads-up!
__________________
Patricia
tiellv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #47
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Tavis Smiley on PBS had Kevin Costner on last night and tonight.
Last night focused mainly on Costner, tonight is supposed to be about the movie.
I have recorded it. Will watch later.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #48
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
When I first saw this thread, I figured it was something that already aired and I had missed it. Just so happened to see a commercial for it today. I'm in.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #49
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn
 
Queue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,034
I saw the preview for this in front of Avengers. I immediately set myself a reminder on my phone and then set the SP when I got home.

I think this will be a good mini series.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #50
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
well, since its on History Channel I guess it will be entertaining but not historically correct
As long as they don't have the guy with the goofy, poofy hair telling me aliens had something to do with this feud, I'm ok with it.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #51
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha
 
omnibus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lost in Wyoming
Posts: 7,445
On first glance at the TV magazine in sundays paper, I thought Walton's west.
__________________
Steve
omnibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #52
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,356
Well, I enjoyed night #1! Looking forward to the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Hatfields and McCoys mostly used rifles but did have handguns. Six shooters? Maybe. Not sure.
Yes, they had 6 shooters. They even referred to a Navy revolver at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
well, since its on History Channel I guess it will be entertaining but not historically correct
It followed along with the entry on Wikipedia pretty closely so far. Of course either one could have gotten the story from the other.
__________________
- Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #53
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,219
The very first thing I noticed was that the topography was ALL wrong- the hills were wrong and the trees were wrong.

I don't know where this was filmed but it is not representative of those hills at all. We have TREES, tons of 'em, everywhere. Enormous oaks, ancient hickories, and understory trees enough that you can't walk two feet.
That clearing where the McCoy's house sat?
No flat space that big even exists in the hills of that region. And those wide cart paths? No. I have trudged up and down the hills in Pike Co. KY and Mingo Co. WV and every inch is thick with undergrowth.
Not right!

I know this is irrelevant to the story being told and I know it's not discussion worthy but I could not get past it. I understand production costs and the need to go where ever to film. It's just me and my extreme love of the area plus a bit of a tree obsession.
The harder I tried to let it go the more I became fixated on it to the point I kept having to rewind to follow the story.

I'll watch it again tonight with hub and try my best to overcome my ridiculousness, but it took me too far out of the story. The topography of the region contributed greatly to the nature of the people living within it, especially during Civil War times when fear and distrust and clannishness was at its height.
Damn me and my southeastern Kentucky childhood!
__________________
Hoop diddy do!
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #54
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,477
I believe it was filmed in Eastern Europe, which is where a lot of period stuff is filmed (in part because it's a place where you can do long shots without having to CG out evidence of modern life).

Hardly anything is filmed where it's set, unless it's set in New York, LA, or Vancouver. I don't cringe, I just laugh at stuff that is set in Minnesota, for many of the same reasons you have...clearly, these people have never been here, and photographs can be so deceiving!
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #55
RonDawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,629
According to its IMDB entry, Hatfields & McCoys was filmed in Romania.

So if not a spaghetti western, what should it be called? I'm not familiar with any Romanian dishes
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #56
RonDawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
The very first thing I noticed was that the topography was ALL wrong- the hills were wrong and the trees were wrong.

I don't know where this was filmed but it is not representative of those hills at all. We have TREES, tons of 'em, everywhere. Enormous oaks, ancient hickories, and understory trees enough that you can't walk two feet.
That clearing where the McCoy's house sat?
No flat space that big even exists in the hills of that region. And those wide cart paths? No. I have trudged up and down the hills in Pike Co. KY and Mingo Co. WV and every inch is thick with undergrowth.
Not right!

I know this is irrelevant to the story being told and I know it's not discussion worthy but I could not get past it. I understand production costs and the need to go where ever to film. It's just me and my extreme love of the area plus a bit of a tree obsession.
The harder I tried to let it go the more I became fixated on it to the point I kept having to rewind to follow the story.

I'll watch it again tonight with hub and try my best to overcome my ridiculousness, but it took me too far out of the story. The topography of the region contributed greatly to the nature of the people living within it, especially during Civil War times when fear and distrust and clannishness was at its height.
Damn me and my southeastern Kentucky childhood!
And people reading the Southland threads thought *I* was weird for nit-picking the technical details
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #57
sicnarf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,273
Hatfields and McCoys

Watched part 1 last night. Very entertaining and well done.
sicnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #58
dtivouser
Tivoless
 
dtivouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,742
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
So if not a spaghetti western, what should it be called? I'm not familiar with any Romanian dishes
Challenge accepted, but I can't find anything like romanian spaghetti. Ostropel is at least meat in a tomato sauce. Hoever the best name I found is:
urs de mămăligă western

dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #59
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,135
Not a western!

Hatfield and McCoy feud gave us the Hillbilly stereotype. That is not western.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #60
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 2,001
The ratings were huge. The first airing is the most watched non-sports telecast in ad supported cable history.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...istory/136055/
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |