TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
leiff

tivo remote hidden functions I've found. Any more?

Iv'e had my tivo for years and I'm stll discovering new functions. I just figured out if you hit 30 sec. skip button from my recordings menu, you move from newest recorded to oldest recorded. Not to long ago I discovered you could press play on a folder to play entire folder content and channel up or down while playing to quickly start playing next or previous show within folder. Before that I stumbled upon the shortcut to quickly delete by pressing clear button. Any other time saving shortcuts out there?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
lrhorer

Tons of them. There are a lot of powerful and subtle things one can do with the various search filters, and tons of recording tricks for things like automated conflict avoidance.

I would start your search here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=122090
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I just figured out if you hit 30 sec. skip button from my recordings menu, you move from newest recorded to oldest recorded.
Yeah, that works in most menus. Press it again (when you're on the last item) to jump back to the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
leiff

Thanks, In thread linked I think I read something about changing x3 speed FF jump back when pressing play but didn't understand directions. Could someone post directions for this please? I hate it after x3 speed fast forwarding play resume throws back placement about 15 seconds or so.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That thread is outdated and not relevant to modern Tivos. The only hacks still available are most of the SPS remote codes.

Depending on what model Tivo you have, it may be possible to do a "prom mod" (hardware hack that involves SMD soldering skills) that allows you to delve deeper into the software code, but that is a taboo subject here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
WO312

Are you aware that you can toggle through a recording quickly by hitting the 30 second skip while the recording is fast forwarding? It will skip to the next tick mark each time you press it. I don't use it a lot but sometimes it is convenient when I want to go forward or backwards a good amount.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
leiff

Too bad, I was hoping to change the x3 fast forward resume placement.
Another use of 30 sec skip button that took me awhile to learn was if you press it while on guide you will move guide 24 hrs ahead. Also if you press channel up or down while on highlighting a show on the right while in guide you can move the selected channel on left column up or down. All these functions I wish I knew from day one. Would have saved a lot of time.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
wedenton

Quote:
Thanks, In thread linked I think I read something about changing x3 speed FF jump back when pressing play but didn't understand directions. Could someone post directions for this please? I hate it after x3 speed fast forwarding play resume throws back placement about 15 seconds or so.
You can eliminate the jump back by pressing 'Pause' twice. Works at 2X and 3X with no modifications needed.
wedenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
MacBrian

Quote:
I just figured out if you hit 30 sec. skip button from my recordings menu, you move from newest recorded to oldest recorded.
Awesome! My 2nd TiVo is listed clear down at the bottom of my very long list of recordings -- this is a great way to get to it quickly!
2011 Slingbox Solo
Series 2 Humax DRT800 (Still in use for VHS->DVD)
Series 1 Philips (Retired)
MacBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
leiff

Tell me about it. Since 2 years ago when I installed a 1.5 TB harddrive Iv'e been wasting allot of time scrolling my long list unnecessarily until I stumbled upon this function accidentally.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Are these are hidden functions? they've been documented time and again in these forums for years.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
leiff

My fault for not finding these listed functions then. Or pherhaps they could be be more prominently displayed.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
jrtroo
User

I'm pretty sure many of these are in the manual. I could not find it online, but did find this remote guide right on the TiVo website.

http://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/prod...Remote_map.pdf
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
swerver

How about this. I've typed something into the search page and a list of shows pops up on the right. But my cursor is all the way over on the left, on the ouija board... is there a way to jump straight to the show list, without clicking right several times to get over there instead?

Edit: nevermind, just found it on the pdf posted... answer is advance.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote