TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Hichhiker
Just me.

Thinking of switching to Premiere XL4 - some Q's

OK, it sounds like DTV blew up (or about to blow up) my pair of long ignored workhorse DTV S2's - so pretty soon I may need to upgrade. I am considering my options, and XL4 sounds like not a bad idea as I need 4 tuners, but given my home setup - I had a few questions before taking the plunge

First of all, I've read that Premiere's SD and HD outputs are active at same time - is this still true and is it true for XL4? I was hoping to use my SD video distribution system while still using HDMI for my living room TV. And does SD output work for non-TV content (youtube, netflix, etc?)? Are there any wierd DRM issues with SD output?

Second, someone once said that secret to marital bliss is his and hers Tivos. I want some MRV option to be able to watch two things at once. Is there still no subscription-free/recorder-free MRV option for the Tivo? I want to have ability to watch two separate things at same time, and would really like to have no fans/hard drives in the bedroom while having an HD option. I suppose I could get two non-XL4's, but it does not solve the bedroom problem and it will mean two subscriptions instead of one.

Last question is - is there a way to playback local video content on the new Tivo's? I.e. either UP&P/DNLP or better yet play media directly from a local a computer share? And if it can, does the media have to be converted for compatibility ahead of time?

Thanks,

-HH
Hichhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
compnurd

If i am reading this right you have Direct TV? The XL4 is cable only
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
If i am reading this right you have Direct TV? The XL4 is cable only
You are allowed to switch from one to the other, you know...

-HH
Hichhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

Yes all video outputs are active. I haven't tested it but I've never heard of any DRM or "app" issues with the SD output.

To answer the second q, Tivo's expected to release 2 accessory boxes this year. One is a transcoder that will let Tivo stream recorded and live tv to portable devices (to devices on your home network. Not cross-country or anything like that.)

The second is an extender box that will stream content (also including live tv) to other TVs in the house. It's unknown if there will be a sub fee for this extender, but most folks are GUESSING not. We may know more about either/both of these on Monday.

I use PyTivo for playback of local video. Converts video as it transfers, if needed.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Let it be known, if you rely on OTA reception for any programming, the XL4 is not for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Yes all video outputs are active. I haven't tested it but I've never heard of any DRM or "app" issues with the SD output.

To answer the second q, Tivo's expected to release 2 accessory boxes this year. One is a transcoder that will let Tivo stream recorded and live tv to portable devices (to devices on your home network. Not cross-country or anything like that.)

The second is an extender box that will stream content (also including live tv) to other TVs in the house. It's unknown if there will be a sub fee for this extender, but most folks are GUESSING not. We may know more about either/both of these on Monday.

I use PyTivo for playback of local video. Converts video as it transfers, if needed.
I've always had issues on the SD outputs since I got my S3 boxes in 2006. Even when off, if my TV is not on the HDMI input of the TiVo, it won't output a signal to the SD outputs, it throws some message on the blank screen. I got around it by using a manual HDMI switcher and switching it to an empty HDMI input so the TiVo thinks the HDMI port is not connected. Although I hear that people have been able to use a active HDMI switch and that works too without having to switch inputs. Oneday I'll dust off one my old active HDMI switches and try it out, but I've really never bothered with it since I only have one TiVo still connected to the analog outputs now. For burning to disc my GFs Lifetime movies she has me record and for my HAva Platium for remote watching.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've always had issues on the SD outputs since I got my S3 boxes in 2006. Even when off, if my TV is not on the HDMI input of the TiVo, it won't output a signal to the SD outputs, it throws some message on the blank screen.
Yes, I was going to bring up the same thing. For those of us who use multiple TV inputs, this actually is a pain.

I usually route my video sources through my XS32.. (yeah, SD). But when I'm recording something on it, I want to switch to another input usually. So I have to currently manually plug/unplug the HDMI cable, or else I get the HDMI not permitted message most of the time. I haven't yet gotten a manual HDMI switch to deal with this, though with a cheap enough one (couple of bucks), I'd probably do it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote