TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
mwhip
All better

Mad Men S05E10 "Christmas Waltz" 5/20/2012

How long until the embezzlement blows up in Lane's face? Will they resolve it this year or will it be next? Will it take his marriage down with him?

Great to see Don and Joan have a little time together, I don't think we have ever really gotten them interacting before. Love that Joan really knows the level of charm Don has and that Don really has no idea how charming he is. Loved the line, "I guess you can tell them I struck out." "No one will believe that".

Joan, who would want a single mother with an infant? Roger.

Was Peggy in this episode at all?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Peggy was briefly in the episode, discussing the Star Trek script with Harry.

We've seen Don/Joan time before, but Sepinwall says it perfectly in his writeup of Christmas Waltz.

Quote:
Matt Weiner has been incredibly stingy with Don/Joan scenes — though they've interacted plenty of times, this episode and "Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency" are the only ones I can think of where a significant amount of time is devoted to just letting them talk to each other about their lives — and it feels like he does so because the chemistry between Jon Hamm and Christina Hendricks is so explosive that if he did it more regularly, we wouldn't care about any other relationship on the show.
This was a pretty great, layered episode with several mentions into the past. I love things like that, in real life you reference past events all the time.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

What's sad about the Lane thing is that all he'd probably have to do instead of embezzling was to come clean with Don or Roger. We saw that Don wasn't afraid to write a $6k check to cover his test drive.

Joan is probably going to get fleeced in the divorce, since I'm sure Dr Harris has figured out that the kid isn't his.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
What's sad about the Lane thing is that all he'd probably have to do instead of embezzling was to come clean with Don or Roger. We saw that Don wasn't afraid to write a $6k check to cover his test drive.
And I'm really curious where the money problems have come from. I would assume Lane is a decent manager of money, since that's his role at SCDP, so what has caused him to be trapped behind the 8-ball on his taxes?

My feeling is he doesn't have some vice like gambling that's put him in this position, it may simply be a handful of unfortunate circumstances. In which case he'd probably be totally covered with a loan from at least Don and/or Roger. Heck, we've seen Roger hand out almost half that amount in cash from his pocket this season alone.

I was on board with Lane's pride causing him to do some book trickery with the credit line and bonuses, but forging Don's name seems like way over the line without some kind of life or death or money shark type noose around his neck. I see no good end for Lane and that's too bad, I really like his character.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
And I'm really curious where the money problems have come from. I would assume Lane is a decent manager of money, since that's his role at SCDP, so what has caused him to be trapped behind the 8-ball on his taxes?
It's a wild guess, but the late 60s (the Harold Wilson years) had notoriously high income (income rates up to 83%, plus in some cases a 15% unearned income penalty on top of that) and capital gains taxes, the latter of which generally still applied to expats. I suspect Lane somehow found himself with a rather large tax liability and penalties. I think that he thought he could escape the taxes by staying in the US, but was incorrect?
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
It's a wild guess, but the late 60s (the Harold Wilson years) had notoriously high income (income rates up to 83%, plus in some cases a 15% unearned income penalty on top of that) and capital gains taxes, the latter of which generally still applied to expats. I suspect Lane somehow found himself with a rather large tax liability and penalties. I think that he thought he could escape the taxes by staying in the US, but was incorrect?
"It's one for you, 19 for me." -- The Beatles, Taxman, side 1 track 1 of Revolver.

Incomprehensible why Lane wouldn't simply approach the other partners. I guess it's Sterling Cooper Draper Campbell as soon as they land Jaguar.

In other news, Mother Lakshmi's sexual bribery techniques need some work.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
DeDondeEs

So were the flowers that Joan got from Don or that other guy at the bar? I couldn't interpret the card.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
So were the flowers that Joan got from Don or that other guy at the bar? I couldn't interpret the card.
Don.

The card referenced their bar conversation:

Don: referring to Joan when he first came to the agency - "You got so many flowers I thought you were dating Ali Khan."

Joan: "My mother raised me to be admired."

Card: "Your mother raised you well. - Ali Khan"
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Joan is probably going to get fleeced in the divorce, since I'm sure Dr Harris has figured out that the kid isn't his.
I was thinking the loner sitting at the bar looking at Joan was a P.I. trying to get some dirt on Joan.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

The Lakshmi sexual bribery angle was stupid.

Lane wasn't so bright either.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
We've seen Don/Joan time before, but Sepinwall says it perfectly in his writeup of Christmas Waltz.

This was a pretty great, layered episode with several mentions into the past. I love things like that, in real life you reference past events all the time.
Fantastic scene -- one of my favorites of the season so far. Sepinwall called Hamm's and Hendricks' chemistry together "explosive", which is the perfect word. Just an electric performance together by the two of them.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
kar74
hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco

Don.

The card referenced their bar conversation:

Don: referring to Joan when he first came to the agency - "You got so many flowers I thought you were dating Ali Khan."

Joan: "My mother raised me to be admired."

Card: "Your mother raised you well. - Ali Khan"
Thank you. I could not remember where in the episode I'd heard the name Ali Kahn. I really liked the Don/Joan interaction. And Roger...well, I just love him in every episode anymore. He always seems drunk and therefore sarcastically hilarious. :-)
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I was LOLing at Paul as hare krishna. Cracked me up. And Harry getting all into it.

Poor Lane.. Didn't think a guy like him would do what he did. While he isn't perfect, he is one of the most stand up guys at SCDP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
ncsercs
DirecTivo fan.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I was LOLing at Paul as hare krishna. Cracked me up. And Harry getting all into it.

Poor Lane.. Didn't think a guy like him would do what he did. While he isn't perfect, he is one of the most stand up guys at SCDP.
+1

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

1 TiVo Series3 / 1 DTV H24 / 2 DTV HR24
ncsercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
I was thinking the loner sitting at the bar looking at Joan was a P.I. trying to get some dirt on Joan.
That was my first thought too and it would have to be Greg that arranged that. If the guy at the bar was in fact, keeping tabs on Joan, I'd be more inclined to think he's an army buddy of Greg's who returned to the US and is now just doing the doctor a favor. Can't imagine how it wouldn't be a financial problem for Greg to swing that on his own.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Pretty sure you guys are overthinking it. Sometimes a cigar is a cigar, and a guyinabar is a guyinabar.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
DougF

Quote:
...forging Don's name seems like way over the line without some kind of life or death or money shark type noose around his neck.
The opening with his lawyer talked about keeping him out of prison, IIRC. That would be enough of a noose, I'd think.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
Idearat

Lane's issue isn't just with the forged check. The $50K surplus didn't really exist, it only looked like it because he got the extra $50k line of credit.

If he was going to get away with the faux surplus he might be able to get away with the forged check, it suggests no one else looks at the books all that closely. Right now SCDP is ahead of the game, being out only the money Lane got (plus bonuses to employees), and not giving money to all the other partners that they didn't really have.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
The opening with his lawyer talked about keeping him out of prison, IIRC. That would be enough of a noose, I'd think.
I'd forgotten about that, yes I guess that would be incentive. Didn't the lawyer also mention the crown was looking for someone to make an example of?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #20
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I startled the dog asleep on the couch with my laughing at him. Excellent. I kept thinking I couldn't wait for Don to run into him at an airport.
I liked Harry helping him.

The whole Joan and Don scene from the reception area to the flowers was great. Don writing a check for $6k so they could test it was a nice touch.

Megan being angry at him seemed a bit Betty like, but any wife would be mad if she made dinner and didn't know where her husband went to all afternoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I'd say it was the opposite. Betty was forever making fingers Don didn't come home to eat. This was a first with Megan.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I'd say it was the opposite. Betty was forever making fingers Don didn't come home to eat. This was a first with Megan.
That's what I meant. It seemed like this was a first for him and Megan, but it was an old habit he had with Betty. Even to her slamming the plate on the table.

He did react differently to Megan than he did with Betty - he sat down.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

The Lane plotline was bizarre. I know that in 1966 8 grand was a fair amount of money, but he could (and should easily) have gone to his partners, told them the truth and got an advance on his draw. Roger has enough free cash to buy his ex a new apartment, and Don plonked down $6K for an E-type (the bastard!), as well as covering Pete's capital call of $50K.

I guess that Don hard-driving the Jag after leaving Joan at the bar was some kind of release.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
In other news, Mother Lakshmi's sexual bribery techniques need some work.
I lol'ed at that scene. It's a sad state of affairs when Don is the most happily married on the show. IIRC, Harry was unfaithful with Hildy, Peter's secretary at the old Sterling Cooper.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
stellie93

So did Don take the Jag back or keep it? And it cost $5600? I know nothing about cars, but I'm assuming this is a high end foreign import? I'm trying to remember what I paid for my first car in the early 70's, but I have no idea.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

I'm sure he took it back.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
...and Don plonked down $6K for an E-type (the bastard!)...
He wrote a check, didn't he? That doesn't necessarily mean he was flush with cash. (Presumably he got the check back from the salesman, and tore it up, when he brought the car back.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93
So did Don take the Jag back or keep it? And it cost $5600? I know nothing about cars, but I'm assuming this is a high end foreign import? I'm trying to remember what I paid for my first car in the early 70's, but I have no idea.
He took it back, as he told Megan later.

Yes, a Jaguar was a "high-end foreign import." $5,600 in 1966 is, due to inflation, about $37,000 today -- although cars have really gone up in price more than inflation for various reasons. The top-of-the-line Jaguar in 2012 has a retail price starting at $83,000.

By comparison, if Don had gone to a Chevrolet dealer for a family sedan, the 1967 Chevy Bel Air 4-door retailed for $2,689.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Mmmm. Fingers.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #29
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it. My 3 month old thinks his are amazing.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #30
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

So did Lane have to pay both US income tax AND give her majesty her share, too? If so, no wonder Lane put off paying for his kid's school tuition. Everybody's getting money except the person who earned it! US income taxes at Lane's income level were insane back then.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote