TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
mikeb33
Hanger Arounder

Anybody have a "Smart TV"?

Looking at a Samsung 65" smart tv. I'm not exactly sure what smart tv means. I mostly want it for more on demand than TiVo offers. I also considered the Xfinity X1, but I like my Tivos and I hear there are issues with them.
Would there be any conflict with my Series 3 HD TiVo? They kind of make it sound so you need no cable box of any kind, but then all of your viewing is on demand, right?
mikeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
atmuscarella

Smart TV = connected to the Internet and provides access to some streaming services. Most new TVs qualify as smart TVs but honestly you can buy a Ruko or Apple TV and have the best possible streaming device available for less than $100 so if I were going to buy a expensive 65 inch TV I would worry about the picture and not about what it can stream. Smart TVs don't replace your cable box, if you have cable you will still need a cable box or something that does replace it like a TiVo.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have two Samsung Smart TVs and a Vizio Smart TV. Basically they have a built in interface for apps that allow you to access services like Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, VUDU, HBOGo, etc... all from the TV itself. (they have an ARM CPU built in, like a smart phone)

The Samsung TVs have a much wider variety of apps then the Vizio. They have a whole app store type thing where you can pick which apps to install.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I have a Samsung 65" Smart TV.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
mikeb33
Hanger Arounder

Well my current TV is a Samsung 58" plasma 1080P that is only a few years old and looks really good.
I just ran out and bought a Roku 3 and am in the middle of setting up my Harmony One remote for it. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
davezatz
Funkadelic

I have a 23" Vizio Smart TV running Yahoo Widgets and they're pretty bad. I have a 50" Panasonic smart plasma will less bad apps, but still unpleasant. I'd take a $50 Roku over either TV's "smart" apps any day.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I have a 23" Vizio Smart TV running Yahoo Widgets and they're pretty bad. I have a 50" Panasonic smart plasma will less bad apps, but still unpleasant. I'd take a $50 Roku over either TV's "smart" apps any day.
My Vizio TV works OK. At least for Netflix which is pretty much all I've ever used it for.

The apps on the Samsung are a lot nicer and there are apps for a lot more services.

But if you already have a TV you like then a Roku is a good way to add those features without having to replace the whole TV.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
mikeb33
Hanger Arounder

Disappointed!

OK after running to Best Buy, buying a Roku 3 and spending a while setting it all up, I find HBO GO is not supported on Roku by Comcast/Xfinity. There's a whole 2 year long thread about it at their website forums: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...O/td-p/1100271

I read much of it and it seems nobody from Comcast could explain, only apologize and quote some company BS. It also doesn't work on Samsung Smart TV. I damn near spent $1,700 on one of those today.
They do say it works on Apple TV and Xbox though? I'm kind of an anti apple guy so this wasn't my first choice.
Damn... I wanted to watch Game of Thrones tonight.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's weird. I didn't realize they could limit HBOGo support to specific devices. I thought if you had access to HBOGo through your cable company then it would work on any device that had an HBOGo app. I wonder why they do that?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
mikeb33
Hanger Arounder

They had many other providers listed: WOW, Time Warner, Cox, Fios, etc, just not Comcast. I can plug in my laptop and watch it, and I can watch on my Nexus 10, but I can't use HDMI out on it and now this. It's enough to make me look for another TV provider.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
OK after running to Best Buy, buying a Roku 3 and spending a while setting it all up, I find HBO GO is not supported on Roku by Comcast/Xfinity. There's a whole 2 year long thread about it at their website forums: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...O/td-p/1100271

I read much of it and it seems nobody from Comcast could explain, only apologize and quote some company BS. It also doesn't work on Samsung Smart TV. I damn near spent $1,700 on one of those today.
They do say it works on Apple TV and Xbox though? I'm kind of an anti apple guy so this wasn't my first choice.
Damn... I wanted to watch Game of Thrones tonight.
It's supposed to work with the Apple, Apple TV and Roku together do complement each other. Also Apple Tv's do play nice with Windows PC's.
Comcast may come around with Roku but as I understand the ball is in Comcast's court.
Some cable companies have a lot HBO on demand content something else to look into as another option.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
SugarBowl

Can a smart TV's power and volume be controlled with your phone ?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's weird. I didn't realize they could limit HBOGo support to specific devices. I thought if you had access to HBOGo through your cable company then it would work on any device that had an HBOGo app. I wonder why they do that?
HBOGo is available on the AppleTV
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I have a 50" Panasonic smart plasma will less bad apps, but still unpleasant. I'd take a $50 Roku over either TV's "smart" apps any day.
I don't have a Roku but I do have a Panasonic GT30 and I'd agree with the comment above. If I have to I'll use the GT30's apps but that's generally only the case with Amazon streaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Depends on the specific TV. Mine cannot.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
I believe the technical answer is yes. However you would have to see if the TV manufacture has an app for your phone and what it can do.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I believe the technical answer is yes. However you would have to see if the TV manufacture has an app for your phone and what it can do.
My older Vizio doesn't have an app, but my new Panasonic does. I haven't looked at it in awhile but I'm pretty sure I can adjust volume and channel. I may also be able to power it off, but not on. Can't recall and use my TiVo peanut 85% of the time.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Certain ones, I suppose. I have a remote app that works from my phone to my Samsung TV while they're on the same network...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...te.phone&hl=en

Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
mikeb33
Hanger Arounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
HBOGo is available on the AppleTV
With Comcast?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
jmoline

[quote=hefe;9760135]Certain ones, I suppose. I have a remote app that works from my phone to my Samsung TV while they're on the same network...

I have the new Panasonic and their free Iphone app VIERAremote2 which gives me complete remote control access. Power On is enabled if you have a wired connection. With Wireless you only have Power Off.
jmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
buscuitboy

Arrow

Quote:
I sort of thought the same thing, but these days it seems like Comcast can do WHATEVER they want. Too bad as I was looking to get a Roku since it supports HBOGO only to learn from a co-worker that Comcast doesn't allow it.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
With Comcast?
Yes.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
mikeb33
Hanger Arounder

I ended up putting Xbox 360 on my big screen and have been watching HGBgo that way. I pay Comcast/Xfinity and TiVo and now Xbox to watch TV
I see some of the new TiVos have an Xfinity app, but not in my Chicago market. Anybody know about this?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

The TiVo and XBox implementations of Xfinity are different. The XBox version is a subset of the videos offered via pure IP distribution. The TiVo one works the same way as a real cable box. The selection portion happens via the internet, rather then using bidirectional communication over the coax, but once a selection is made the cable company starts streaming the video via an actual QAM channel and simply tells the TiVo which frequency to tune. That's why the TiVo version is only available in some markets because it requires an upgrade to the VOD server so that it exposes the selection stuff to the internet.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
mikeb33
Hanger Arounder

Quote:
The TiVo and XBox implementations of Xfinity are different. The XBox version is a subset of the videos offered via pure IP distribution. The TiVo one works the same way as a real cable box. The selection portion happens via the internet, rather then using bidirectional communication over the coax, but once a selection is made the cable company starts streaming the video via an actual QAM channel and simply tells the TiVo which frequency to tune. That's why the TiVo version is only available in some markets because it requires an upgrade to the VOD server so that it exposes the selection stuff to the internet.
Thank you for the concise explanation. Sadly, Chicago is not considered one of their "larger markets".
Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
zalusky

I have a receiver that flows multiple components through it and it makes the smart TVs messy when they themselves are creating the content.

In my bedroom I have a sound bar that drives the sound from the Tivo Elite and once again I would have to mess around with more complexities if the sound originated from multiple sources.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I have a receiver that flows multiple components through it and it makes the smart TVs messy when they themselves are creating the content.
How old is it? If it's made within the last 3 years or so it probably supports HDMI Audio Return Channel. Basically the TV can send the audio back to the receiver through the same HDMI cable that the receiver uses to send it video. Works great on my Samsung TV and Onkyo receiver.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #27
mattack

Quote:
The XBox version is a subset of the videos offered via pure IP distribution.
Also, just for clarification, the pure IP distribution (i.e. via the Xfinity app) has a mostly different amount of content than the regular Tivo/Comcast On Demand stuff... which I think is a shame.

For example, you can get a decent amount of shows from various networks (including the main broadcast networks) on the real On Demand, but not via the Xfinity app.

Yeah, I know, just Tivo it then use the Stream to get it to an iPad. I do that, but once in a while, I wish I could watch on the iPad the same exact stuff I could get via the On Demand menu. (Yes, grudgingly, even with the commercials.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
Beryl

Quote:

My Vizio TV works OK. At least for Netflix which is pretty much all I've ever used it for.

The apps on the Samsung are a lot nicer and there are apps for a lot more services.

But if you already have a TV you like then a Roku is a good way to add those features without having to replace the whole TV.
Yeppy. Netflix is good on my Vizio TV. I like the way Netflix episodes automatically play in sequence. It is minor but nice. I don't like its Amazon interface as compared to other devices -- even the Sony BluRay Player's app is better. It is a pain to find content and it doesn't support watchlists.

I have Rokus on my dumb TVs but I don't recommend any model except the XS or 3.

Quote:

With Comcast?
And some of us have it working on our ATVs and haven't subscribed to HBO!! It think it authenticates based on Internet provider. I expect that hole to be closed eventually.

Last edited by Beryl : 08-13-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Beryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

My TV is dumb as a sack of rocks, and that's the way I like it. Basically, I want it to show me what's on TV.

Then again, a few years ago I just wanted my phone to make phone calls and now I have a One. So who knows what the future will hold?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #30
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
My TV is dumb as a sack of rocks, and that's the way I like it. Basically, I want it to show me what's on TV.

Then again, a few years ago I just wanted my phone to make phone calls and now I have a One. So who knows what the future will hold?
I do.