Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #151
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
So do we have any idea just how many books total he plans on making this story? I'm wondering if he goes on forever, so can the show, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
He says he settled on doing 7 (two more).
Well, it's a trilogy, so at this point I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt...

Or as Douglas Adams once put on the jacket of one of his books, "Book Five In The Increasingly Inaccurately-Named Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy!"
Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #152
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Okay I think I want this show to go on forever at this point. Especially with only 10 episodes per season. So RR keep on writing!!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #153
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
^^ Just can't resist, huh?
I'm sorry, is that really a spoiler? They aren't much bigger now, than they were at the end of last season.

I thought about it a long time before I posted it. I decided it was safe. It wasn't a spur-of-the-moment/can't resist post, it was a "what can I say that will help without giving anything significant away".

If I was wrong, I apologize and I'll remove it. Do you think I went too far?

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #154
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I'm sorry, is that really a spoiler? They aren't much bigger now, than they were at the end of last season.

I thought about it a long time before I posted it. I decided it was safe. It wasn't a spur-of-the-moment/can't resist post, it was a "what can I say that will help without giving anything significant away".

NO.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #155
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Didn't Varys and Tyrion have a discussion about how dragons take a long time to grow up and end it with something like "that will be someone else's problem?"

I didn't view the comment here as a spoiler at all.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #156
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post

His remark was a total over-reaction. It was made clear in the show that it will take years for the dragons to grow.

Quote:
NO.
that's what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Didn't Varys and Tyrion have a discussion about how dragons take a long time to grow up and end it with something like "that will be someone else's problem?"

I didn't view the comment here as a spoiler at all.
Yes. They did. They also mentioned it when she was trying to negotiate with all the rulers of Qarth. It's only a spoiler if you're not paying attention, I guess.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #157
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Yes. They did. They also mentioned it when she was trying to negotiate with all the rulers of Qarth. It's only a spoiler if you're not paying attention, I guess.
What was a spoiler was the acknowledgment that these particular dragons will live long enough to take a long time to grow old.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #158
Aniketos

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
What was a spoiler was the acknowledgment that these particular dragons will live long enough to take a long time to grow old.
No he didn't. He said dragons take a long time to grow up, literally the exact same thing that was said in the show.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #159
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
I was thinking the exact opposite! I'm glad I don't know what's coming up so I will enjoy the show and the surprises!
Well it's not like I magically knew the entire plotline the minute I started the first page of the first book. I certainly had the same feeling of not knowing what was coming and enjoying the surprises... only with the book.

Now I get to amuse myself watching all of you try to guess what's coming... I do believe that might be even better. Being surprised is something I can do while I read. Gleefully hearing all the theories put forth here and being able to chuckle (or, very rarely, nod sagely) at their accuracy requires all of you to participate. You're doing a great job!

And of course I get to say "WTH?!?!" when they change it up and something I didn't expect happens.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #160
stellie93

The interview with GRRM is really interesting. Thanks. I'd seen his picture, but not heard him talk. For some reason I thought he was British. I like the question about who most personifies his character as from the books--of course it was Peter Dinklege (sp?). He said he was the only one who read for the part. But he also admitted that he is too good looking and too tall compared to Tyrion in the books.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #161
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
For all the Joffrey haters, here's an interview of the actor who plays him, Jack Gleeson, talking about a completely different role. It's funny to see him as not being a complete little sh*t.

The interview itself isn't that exciting but you can see what an actual nice kid he is (he's 20) and it's kind of weird to see him talk about something completely different.
This one will also blow your mind:

The GoT cast!

They must be actors or something.

There are a bunch more related on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jgwuSuAUPJg
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #162
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
They must be actors or something.
"Dude...that sucks!"
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #163
mostman

Quote:
So there was a gap of 6 years between the last books? Oh that would not have pleased me at all had I been reading them.
Edit: just realized I smeeked jakerock - sorry about that. But see! Martin is driving us ALL MAD!

Trust me. It sucked. He says the next one is "mostly done", but he said that about Dance, for three years. In fact, he even claims Dance and Feast were once one book and the publishers made him split them up (the timelines in each do indeed overlap a bit). Even still, 6 years. Sigh. I've already resigned to Winds coming out in 2018.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #164
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
He says the next one is "mostly done", but he said that about Dance, for three years.
He does? A few months after the last one was released, he was talking about how the only chapters he had written for the new book were ones that were bumped from Dance, and lamenting his inability to get into writing more.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #165
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

In that interview I posted, doesn't he say he has 200 pages of the next one?
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #166
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Well hopefully he'll have the next book done and out before the show catches up.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #167
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I honestly think that Martin will die before he ends the series similar to Robert Jordan and the WoT series. I hope Martin is keeping good notes!
I read an interview where he has said that he has officially designated someone to finish the writing of the saga should he become unable.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #168
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
I read an interview where he has said that he has officially designated someone to finish the writing of the saga should he become unable.
Is there a clause in that if he is just too freaking slow. "In the event the author dies or just sits on his ass for more than 2 years..."
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #169
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Oh and speaking of books a slight spoiler: The story (IMO) gets better too. I think this last book was perhaps the best of the bunch (of course part of that is since he writes each chapter from the view point of a specific character, I may just have liked the characters it focused on more).

I remember reading book one how good I thought it was but that book almost seems like a prologue for the rest of the series. It was so very uncomplicated and straightforward. It seemed like a book about the Starks of Winterfell. As we've seen since the Starks are just one part of the story.

Of course when he killed off what I assumed was the main protagonist (of the Stark story) it did come as a bit of a surprise. Much like the Series that was the moment when it hits home that this story was different than most. I love the fact that there is no single destined hero, that every character (well not Joffrey) is three dimensional. Though I am not sure the show is able to convey that. Since in the book you spend a each chapter in specific person's head you get to see motives and can understand why certain easy to dislike characters do what they do. It does wonders for making it hard to hate (or love) anyone completely. Except Tyrion. Dinklage does a WONDEFUL job of bringing to live one of my favorite characters.

[SPOILERThere is no spoiler so don't be upset at me.[/spoiler]

For some reason this morning I am having to fight the urge to write fake spoilers. The problem is that I can't think of anything so ridiculous (in that world) that it would be obviously fake, with the possible exception of referencing books that haven't been written. There is just enough supernatural/magic that anything could in theory happen though he uses it sparingly (which I like).

Disclaimer: The spoiler above is intentionally (and I thought obivously) FAKE . I thought would be funny because it is from a book that doesn't exist yet. Except that as an upset PM made me realize, non readers might not know that there is no book 8 so it wasn't obviously a joke. Though in my defense I did state that the only fake thing I could do is reference a book that hasn't been written. Sorry for the confusion. You the reader are not in anyway the only person who doesn't get my sense of humor.

Last edited by jakerock : 05-24-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added the disclaimer to say the spoiler is fake.
jakerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #170
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
For some reason this morning I am having to fight the urge to write fake spoilers.
I hope you don't mean here. That would be pointless (for me anyhow) and kind of a dick move for those that do actually want to know things.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #171
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I hope you don't mean here. That would be pointless (for me anyhow) and kind of a dick move for those that do actually want to know things.
To be honest, as soon as I read his first words "and speaking of books a slight spoiler", I just didn't read the rest of the post. I could not imagine any good coming out of it!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #172
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

You can't rush these things. If GRRM WANTS to take a long time, let him. The attention to detail is what makes this series compelling. Rushing something out would just turn it into <insert cr@ppy weekly cop show here> or any other procedural TV show!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #173
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
To be honest, as soon as I read his first words "and speaking of books a slight spoiler", I just didn't read the rest of the post. I could not imagine any good coming out of it!
The slight spoiler was simply me talking about the quality of the books as they go along (I did not talk about anything in the books). And that was in the line after I said that. If you don't want my opinion of how well the story holds up then don't read more.

Given how many of us are still reading it, it probably isn't really a spoiler, hence me describing it as "slight".

I LOVE these books and the show. I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Heck even the thing I put spoiler tags around isn't really a spoiler. I made a joke about something happening in a yet unwritten Book 8.

Last edited by jakerock : 05-24-2012 at 10:25 AM.
jakerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #174
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He does? A few months after the last one was released, he was talking about how the only chapters he had written for the new book were ones that were bumped from Dance, and lamenting his inability to get into writing more.
Yeah - I was thinking of the interview where he mentioned he had 200 pages done. Not sure why I figured that was "most" considering these books are 800 pages long.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #175
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
You can't rush these things. If GRRM WANTS to take a long time, let him. The attention to detail is what makes this series compelling. Rushing something out would just turn it into <insert cr@ppy weekly cop show here> or any other procedural TV show!!
I agree in theory. In practice he writes a lot of other stuff and this sits around untouched (as far as I can tell). So he isn't paying attention to detail, he's just not working on it. I don't need Stephen King like production but waiting the better part of a decade for the second half of "an almost finished" book is discouraging. Extrapolate that out and you're looking at 18 years for this to finish if there are three more books. I don't know how many more books there are but there seems to be a lot more story to tell.

So if asking for him to work harder and not take 18 years is rushing him...well we differ in opinion on that.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #176
jehma

Quote:
Yeah - I was thinking of the interview where he mentioned he had 200 pages done. Not sure why I figured that was "most" considering these books are 800 pages long.
Or he takes those 200 pages and decided they really belong in the next book after that.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #177
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
And he was probably talking manuscript pages, which would probably be about 100-120 pages of actual printed book.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #178
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
By fake I meant something so off the wall that it was funny. Like remarking about how Harry Potter dies at the end of Book 2 after the first movie came out. Sorry for the people that are still planning on reading or watching book/movie 2 of the Harry Potter series who thought he might live to the third book in that series of 7 titled Harry Potter and something...

My point was that it is nice that he writes in a way that you can't take anything for granted. It makes it interesting. Anything outlandish I might say like Eddard Stark dies at the end of season 1! Might actually happen and so can't be written as a joke.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #179
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Should we be spoilerizing how long it takes him to write the books?

That is the biggest way the show strays from the books!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #180
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

You all have it easy. Daniel Keys Moran's Tale of Continuing Time is supposed to be 33 books of which he has published 4 since 1988!

I have pretty much resigned myself to maybe reading 2 more books in my lifetime