Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #121
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Even if Tyrion dies at this point in the books (which I seriously doubt) there's no way they're killing him off in the TV show. He's the reason many (most?) people watch.

I don't have the trademark on that. I saw it somewhere and it cracked me up and stuck with me. Glad you like it, too.

I grew to like Dany in season one, but this season she's all "I want a ship!" and "I want my dragons!" and not much else. Qarth seems very Qartoonish to me so that hasn't been a very compelling storyline, either.

I also have to admit that I'm one of those people who doesn't like to see too much "magic" and such on the show. That's the one thing that could cause me to tune out. So far, the balance has been just right, but the dragons could change that. I see this show as a medieval version of The Sopranos and like it that way. If it's dueling wizards, witches and dragons, I'll lose interest really fast. So from that perspective, I'm OK with the dragons staying lost - though I am sure they will be found.
I agree with all of this. I can deal with a little magic and that sort of thing, but when it turns into being MOSTLY about that, I'm gone. So far, it's been a great balance.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #122
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Like Sean Bean?
Different. Killing off Ned was brilliant, and speaking for myself, it was so jarring that it drew me in to the show even more.

I think killing off Tyrion would cause a lot of people to watch something else instead of GOT. Tyrion is by far the most interesting character, and the only comic relief on a show that needs some comic relief now and then. Ned was a good guy, but not very interesting.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #123
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Having read the books it is sometimes painful not responding to some of the things said on this forum. Arg.

I think of an inside joke about every third post.

I guess I only have to behave for another 5 years or so...
Old 05-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #124
markb

Robb has got to lose a battle at some point. Makes for a better story.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #125
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
really? I think Theon is fully aware of the ruse and did it himself. The boys would have been captured alive (it's not like they had weapons) and brought before Theon. There is no doubt in my mind that Theon killed the farmer boys to save face.
But didn't he have a conversation with his sister about them being dead? Wouldn't he let her in on the ruse if there was one?
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #126
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I think killing off Tyrion would cause a lot of people to watch something else instead of GOT. Tyrion is by far the most interesting character, and the only comic relief on a show that needs some comic relief now and then. Ned was a good guy, but not very interesting.
I would still watch but I don't think I'd be as in love with the show as I currently am.... but I probably don't even need to state that since every single thread I start my first post undoubtedly talks about how amazing Dinklage is or how much fun Tyrion is. Now you're making me sad just thinking about it.

And I agree, Ned was a total shock because I didn't realize they would have the balls to kill off the main character before season 1 even ends! I'm not sure I got to know him as more than a father of a bastard son, friend to the King and seeker of truth. There was nothing to get invested in him personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
Robb has got to lose a battle at some point. Makes for a better story.
You expect that he will have to lose eventually. That's why I don't think he should.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #127
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
But didn't he have a conversation with his sister about them being dead? Wouldn't he let her in on the ruse if there was one?
HELL NO. She's one of the main people he's trying to impress with this entire thing. Her and his dad.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #128
Ereth

To the concern about too much magic I just want to say that dragons take a really long time to grow up.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #129
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

^^ Just can't resist, huh?

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #130
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Well, I don't think it's much of a secret. As a non-book reader who is merely aware that books exist, I'm going to guess dragons take about 4 books to mature (though I suppose I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover).
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #131
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
pipe down skippy
Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #132
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
pipe down skippy
I think I won't.

/Yoren

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #133
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Well, I don't think it's much of a secret. As a non-book reader who is merely aware that books exist, I'm going to guess dragons take about 4 books to mature (though I suppose I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover).
Maybe they've gotten a better formula for Purina Dragon Chow than they had 1000 years ago.

----

I think a great rock band name would be Ducksauce and the Warlocks.

----

How about Caitlin and Brienne having witnessed a king being killed by a shadow, "Ho hum. Let's went, B," and never tell the rival king, even if it is her son?

----

I'd have to check, but I think the 8th episode of season 1 was also a dragger. King Robert dies and Ned is betrayed in episode 7/10.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 05-23-2012 at 03:07 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #134
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Yeah, considering they're the size of small cats right now it's not a huge leap to make that assumption.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #135
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Unfortunately 4 books is about 20 years the way things are going...and that isn't a story spoiler that is a real life spoiler. G.R.R. Martin is spoiling my real life by taking so freaking long to write these things.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #136
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Jon Snow is an idiot, and he's beginning to annoy me. He's been impulsive since the first season, and it's not any different. I knew he'd do something that would get others killed.
It's easy to forget, tho, that all the Stark kids are just that--kids. In the books even younger than the show, but young in both. They should mature and get wiser as time goes on--if they get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

However, I'm not sad that I read the books first. There's much fun to be had this way as well and I'm not sure I could take it (certainly right now when work is absolutely crushing me, the last thing I need is to be daydreaming about next week's GoT!)
Me too. You can only have the suspense once, and I had that reading the books. Now I enjoy every minute of watching this awesome story be acted out. You guys who don't know what's going to happen are impatient with a set-up episode, but I enjoy every second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Unfortunately 4 books is about 20 years the way things are going...and that isn't a story spoiler that is a real life spoiler. G.R.R. Martin is spoiling my real life by taking so freaking long to write these things.
You mean it will take 20 years to write 4 more books, or 20 years will pass in Westeros?

I'm wondering what they're going to do about the younger kids aging if they only do 1 book/season--which is all they can do with 10 episodes. I don't think that much time is passing in Westeros, although it's hard to tell when winters and summers go on for "years." Not sure exactly what that word means here.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #137
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
It's easy to forget, tho, that all the Stark kids are just that--kids. In the books even younger than the show, but young in both. They should mature and get wiser as time goes on--if they get the chance.
I read the first book so far, and yes, I realize they are younger in the books. That said, when you contrast Snow to his brothers and to even Arya, he's a lot more impulsive than any of them, even Bran. He would make a very reckless leader. So while he's young, he's not like the other Starks in that regard.

(I'm going by what I see in the TV show, not anything in the books).
Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #138
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I honestly think that Martin will die before he ends the series similar to Robert Jordan and the WoT series. I hope Martin is keeping good notes!

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #139
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I honestly think that Martin will die before he ends the series similar to Robert Jordan and the WoT series. I hope Martin is keeping good notes!
I think I saw an interview where he says he's told the EPs of the show how the story ends in case something happens to him.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #140
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
You mean it will take 20 years to write 4 more books, or 20 years will pass in Westeros?
He means in real life, to write it. There are 7 books total. The first was published in 1996, then the next 4 in 1998, 2000, 2005, and 2011. Book 6 is still being written.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #141
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
I think I saw an interview where he says he's told the EPs of the show how the story ends in case something happens to him.
EPs?

Oh, executive producers...I'd really hate to see the end of the story come from TV.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #142
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
He means in real life, to write it. There are 7 books total. The first was published in 1996, then the next 4 in 1998, 2000, 2005, and 2011. Book 6 is still being written.
So there was a gap of 6 years between the last books? Oh that would not have pleased me at all had I been reading them.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #143
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
Quote:
HELL NO. She's one of the main people he's trying to impress with this entire thing. Her and his dad.
And doing it only serves to show them both that Theon has no idea how his family thinks. He' thinking like a Stark. Take the enemy's capitol and make teh Lord bend the knee. Bot going so far inland makes that capitol all but impossible for the Iron Islanders to defend as their supply chain is days away at best.

He's hunting on land like a wolf, not across the sea like a kraken.

If memory serves, didn't Theon's sister also tear him down for killing "Bran" and "Rickon" saying that he's made all of the Northmen hate him for killing two little boys? Really, thinking more about it, none of the options Theon were given would have won him the respect he wants to badly. He doesn't think like a kraken and doesn't know how to start.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #144
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
So there was a gap of 6 years between the last books? Oh that would not have pleased me at all had I been reading them.
IT DIDN'T BOTHER ME AT ALL. NOT AT ALL.

Further complicating things is that the plot lines get a LOT more complicated as the books go on. Book (Season) 1 was pretty straight forward. But it seems like every character you meet ends up with a plot line moving forward. Book 4 which took forever for him to write ended up being split into Book 4 and 5. Because he couldn't fit it all i none volume. Supposedly when Book 4 came out the second half (5) was close to being done. Supposedly because it took 6 years (and help from another author) to get it out.

The book was great! But sheesh. By the time a book comes out I've forgetten what the heck was happening in the last book. Luckily I found a great website that summarizes each chapter of each book and I read that ahead of time to refresh my memory of who was where with whom.

Oh and further complicating things: Book 4 and 5 take place at the same time. So when you start Book 5 (6 years after finishing Book 4) you get confused because you've gone back in time from the stand point that things that you read happened haven't happened yet. (Above and beyond the good job GRRM does of keeping straight what character's know, think they know, and what they don't know due to geography, rumors, and lies etc.) Like mom thinking that both girls are being held hostage though we know Arya has escaped.

It is confusing and frustrating. If the dang things weren't so dang good I'd stop reading them.

GRRM also writes a lot of other stuff and edits books in Sci Fi etc. I want to thump him upside the head and say "FOCUS! You're killing me." I had hoped that Jordan dying would motivate the bugger to get it done before it is too late.

Oh my I'm ranting like a crazy man. Sure I can wait another 5 years for the next book. Noooo problem.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #145
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

So do we have any idea just how many books total he plans on making this story? I'm wondering if he goes on forever, so can the show, no?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #146
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
another reason why I'm perfectly happy to pile the books up on my Kindle and wait until the show is over to start reading them.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #147
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

For all the Joffrey haters, here's an interview of the actor who plays him, Jack Gleeson, talking about a completely different role. It's funny to see him as not being a complete little sh*t.

The interview itself isn't that exciting but you can see what an actual nice kid he is (he's 20) and it's kind of weird to see him talk about something completely different.

Joffrey

Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #148
DUDE_NJX

I wonder when the Wheel of Time movies will come out. I thought the first one was supposed to be out by now.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #149
stellie93

Quote:
Yeah, I read them all last year and at first I was thinking that book 5 was the end. Then I found out it's nowhere near the end.

I'm hoping that now that they're so popular with the show and all, he'll write a little faster. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of him dying before they are done. Now I'm going to be worrying about his health.

Poor Theon--I would have bet killing the boys was the way to make them pay the iron price. In fact didn't his Kracken advisor guy tell him to do it? Now his sister is unhappy. No way for Theon to win. It was nice to see that his sister at least has some affection for him, although she hides it pretty well.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #150
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
So do we have any idea just how many books total he plans on making this story? I'm wondering if he goes on forever, so can the show, no?
He says he settled on doing 7 (two more). Check out this interview at around 18:08. The entire interview is great...I don't think there are spoilers but just in case viewer beware.

[Edit: although he does go on to say nothing is written in blood and the main thing is to tell the story. ]

GRRM Interview