TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Game of Thrones - "The Prince of Winterfell" - S02E08 5/20/12

As usual, so much happened this episode, I know I've already forgotten some of it! Why does the hour go so damn fast??

Robb.... saw that coming a mile away. I knew they'd get it on. But Cat letting Jaimie go was STUPID. WTF was she thinking?? How did she think Robb would be okay with that? Ugh.

Tyrion's face when he saw Ros instead of Shae was masterclass acting. God I love Dinklage so much I can't even take it. So I assume Ros realized she was some kind of replacement for who Cersei was really after. That's some dedication right there for her to keep her trap shut. I don't fully understand why she would do that for him. And I guess he and Varys have reached some kind of friendship? I wanted to wipe that smile off Cercei's face. Great acting on Tyrion's part to her to sell the fact that Ros was his "whore".

Oh Jon Snow... I'm really fearful for him at this point. I don't know what else to say. I hope they don't go the route of the wildling chick falling for him.

Arya and Gendry get out of Harrenhal! Dude is really creepy though. I cannot ever remember his name without looking it up.. it's too odd. You know who I mean. His way of speaking is odd even for this show/time. He was freaked when she named him though, liked that. Wasn't surprised though, she's a smart smart girl.

So Stannis names Davos as his hand. I kinda thought that was a given. Apparently not to Davos. Is there anyone more loyal to Stannis than him??

Lastly, Dany Dany. She's a bit full of herself. I hope she isn't leading Jorah to his death here. I will be rightly pissed if he dies because she's so convinced of her own uber specialness and demands they go to the house of the undead.

Is it next Sunday yet?? Only 2 episodes remain this season. That is so depressing!!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl
Is it next Sunday yet?? Only 2 episodes remain this season. That is so depressing!!!!
+1

Starting to think I will need to read the books while we wait for next season.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

It was one of the more unsatisfying episodes so far.

I (mostly) didn't believe for a moment the tar babies were Bran and his brother. especially with no Hodor, too.

Bran/Hodor are Master/Blaster. Maybe Tyrion can mount his Sellsword.

I had remembered but Dany pointed it out. She is a dragon. All they have to do is burn down the House of the Undying so they will ber the House of Dying by Burning except for Dany and her dragons.

I would have been happier if they had cut off Lord Jamie's jewels. Maybe Brienne still has a mission on how he's supposed to be delivered.

"Yeah, Jeffy, THAT will scare them."
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
But Cat letting Jaimie go was STUPID. WTF was she thinking??
She's a mother who has lost her husband, her daughters and two of her sons. Her sister is crazy. Her ancestral home doesn't welcome her and her husbands home has fallen to Theon Greyjoy of all people. Her entire world is falling apart. She believes that sending Jamie back to the Lannisters to trade for her daughters is the only way she's ever going to see them again. Right or wrong, she believes it with every fiber of her being. And she believed that Jamie would not survive the night with men who wanted to kill him, and that news of his death would be followed with news of Sansa and Aryas death as well.

What would you do if you believed that?

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
She's a mother who has lost her husband, her daughters and two of her sons. Her sister is crazy. Her ancestral home doesn't welcome her and her husbands home has fallen to Theon Greyjoy of all people. Her entire world is falling apart. She believes that sending Jamie back to the Lannisters to trade for her daughters is the only way she's ever going to see them again. Right or wrong, she believes it with every fiber of her being. And she believed that Jamie would not survive the night with men who wanted to kill him, and that news of his death would be followed with news of Sansa and Aryas death as well.

I wouldn't have sent him back without confirmation from Kings Landing of two things.
1. My daughters were still alive
2. They were willing to trade them
And I certainly would not have sent just one person back with him hoping the "kings slayer" doesn't get the best of that person along the way. Because if anything at all goes wrong, her or Robb have nothing to bargain with.

I know you've read the books so you have more insight on such things but this is how I see it strictly from a show viewers POV.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The problem is it would take weeks to get that information, and Robb's men wanted Jaime dead NOW. She figured, given the mood in camp, that she had hours to save Jaime's life (and thus hopefully save her daughters' lives), and under the circumstances I'd say she acted rashly but not insanely.

I loved the romantic rowboat scene, with the pretty one lounging in the prow of the boat and the big burly one rowing them down the river...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The problem is it would take weeks to get that information, and Robb's men wanted Jaime dead NOW. She figured, given the mood in camp, that she had hours to save Jaime's life (and thus hopefully save her daughters' lives), and under the circumstances I'd say she acted rashly but not insanely.
So what you're saying is she doesn't feel she can control Robb's men. I wonder if Robb would have those same concerns if he had been there instead.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
So what you're saying is she doesn't feel she can control Robb's men. I wonder if Robb would have those same concerns if he had been there instead.
That's a good question. So far, he's been playing the Romantic Young King card quite skillfully, but this had the potential to really blow up in his face...it's in the best interest of the kingdom to keep Jaime alive, so what happens when he has to weigh that against the insistent demands of his subjects to kill him? Would he even have had the chance to make that decision, and if his men killed Jaime behind his back, how would that affect his authority?

Ironically, Mom's rash actions spared him that dilemma, although of course caused another (what to do about Mom?).
Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Ereth

I agree with Rob. She was acting emotionally, not logically. Robb would have (and did) act differently.

In this regard, the book doesn't change anything, but because it allows inner dialog, and infinite time, you get more of Caitlyns thoughts (as well as everybody else. We have a much better idea of who Brienne of Tarth is by now in the books, for instance).

But to respond to the points specifically...

Littlefinger told her while at Renlys camp that both girls were alive and held by the Lannisters. WE know that Arya is not there, but Caitlyn does not.

Highborn prisoners are traditionally kept specifically TO be traded for highborn prisoners that the other side captures. It's the entire world that Caitlyn has grown up with. The peasants are killed, the highborn are captured and traded back to their homes. Caitlyn trusts in the traditions of the highborn (remember her insistence upon "bread and salt" at the Twins?). They are the foundation of her world, and while they are broken upon occasion (the mad king comes to mind), they are so fundamental that she doesn't question them.

As for feeling she can control Robbs men... no, she doesn't, especially given the mood at the time. She barely stopped them from killing Jamie outright. She didn't think she would succeed a second time. Were the Kingslayer to have an "accident" in the night and be found dead in the morning, the girls would be lost to her (she believes) and what could Robb do about it? He might be angry, but the deed would be done.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
LordKronos

I too thought this was one of the less exciting episodes.

I'm confused about what's going on with Jon Snow and the others. I thought the leader (not sure of his name...was it Crow?) said everyone else was killed. Then later we see everyone else just fine. So what's going on? Why did he lie to Jon about everyone being dead?

The Ros scene was funny. I had recognized her, but it didn't actually click at the moment that she wasn't Tyrion's girl. Then he gets back to his room and I was like "wait, what just happened"
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Ereth

Quorin Halfhand. The small splinter group that he and Jon Snow went off with, everyone was killed.

The other people you saw were the main force that Lord Commander Mormont kept with him.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
LordKronos

Quote:
Quorin Halfhand. The small splinter group that he and Jon Snow went off with, everyone was killed.

The other people you saw were the main force that Lord Commander Mormont kept with him.
Oh yeah, thanks. I forgot that the group had split up to take out the lookouts.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
allan
I survived the Mayan

I loved this exchange between Tyrion and Varys:

"You're an intelligent man, and I'd like to think I am"
"Too bad we can't talk as honest, intelligent men"

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
As usual, so much happened this episode, I know I've already forgotten some of it! Why does the hour go so damn fast??

Robb.... saw that coming a mile away. I knew they'd get it on. But Cat letting Jaimie go was STUPID. WTF was she thinking?? How did she think Robb would be okay with that? Ugh.
She knew he wouldn't be okay with it, that's why she did it.

Quote:
Tyrion's face when he saw Ros instead of Shae was masterclass acting. God I love Dinklage so much I can't even take it. So I assume Ros realized she was some kind of replacement for who Cersei was really after. That's some dedication right there for her to keep her trap shut. I don't fully understand why she would do that for him. And I guess he and Varys have reached some kind of friendship? I wanted to wipe that smile off Cercei's face. Great acting on Tyrion's part to her to sell the fact that Ros was his "whore".
His acting through that whole scene was amazing, even before Roz came out. His look of "how the f*ck do you know?" was masterful. Loved it.

Quote:
Arya and Gendry get out of Harrenhal! Dude is really creepy though. I cannot ever remember his name without looking it up.. it's too odd. You know who I mean. His way of speaking is odd even for this show/time. He was freaked when she named him though, liked that. Wasn't surprised though, she's a smart smart girl.
His name is Jaqen H'agar. I know, hard to remember unless you've read it. Anyway, he's not from Westeros which is why he speaks so strangely.
Quote:
So Stannis names Davos as his hand. I kinda thought that was a given. Apparently not to Davos. Is there anyone more loyal to Stannis than him??
Nope!

Quote:
Lastly, Dany Dany. She's a bit full of herself. I hope she isn't leading Jorah to his death here. I will be rightly pissed if he dies because she's so convinced of her own uber specialness and demands they go to the house of the undead.
Who is she, or what is she if she doesn't have her dragons?

Quote:
Is it next Sunday yet?? Only 2 episodes remain this season. That is so
depressing!!!!
Yeah that sucks. While I agree that this episode didn't have anything exciting really happen, there was a lot of good story telling going on. I think (hope) the next two episodes are going to be chock-full of craziness.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth

I would know just shipping him back is not the way to go about it. Why does she think her daughters will be released.

I agree with your explanation of her decision making but just letting her protector take him down there does not seem like a way to get her daughters free. Especially since she doesn't even know their real status.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
marksman
ID-10-T

I don't know all these kings moms overstepping their bounds is messing things up. I guess the only people who can show up kings are their mommies.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
I don't know all these kings moms overstepping their bounds is messing things up. I guess the only people who can show up kings are their mommies.
Though, occasionally, uncles are allowed to slap kings.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
tiassa
Me --Avatar

for once somebody got the best of Tyrion in the "line of the show" category

Tyrion: Imagine Stannis' terror
Varys: I am trying
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post

They do make a great couple pair. It's fun watching them try to unpack each other's comments. And when they talk, they both have this "I'm pretty sure I'm smarter than you, but I'm not yet entirely convinced" thing going on.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
hbtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post

It was good. I'm not sure that was the best. The exchange with Bronn when he said they rounded up all the known thieves, and now just have to worry about the unknown thieves made me laugh/rewind/rewatch! Basically, "You rounded them up for questioning?", followed by Bronn's delivery of "No" was priceless.
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
mwhip
All better

What was with the exchange between Theon and his sister? Was she mad he took Winterfell and was upstaging her? Obviously what she said about their dad being mad about it can't be right, he tried to take Winterfell 20 years ago! Obviously he wants to possess it no matter how far it is from the sea.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
What was with the exchange between Theon and his sister? Was she mad he took Winterfell and was upstaging her? Obviously what she said about their dad being mad about it can't be right, he tried to take Winterfell 20 years ago! Obviously he wants to possess it no matter how far it is from the sea.
He didn't try to take Winterfell, he rebelled against King Robert (he wanted to be King of the Isles or some such). Ned was sent to put down the rebellion, and Theon was given to Ned as ward/hostage as part of the peace settlement.

Theon is trying to please Daddy, but he's wandered so far from his roots he's walking his own path without even realizing it. His sister was trying to talk him back, but he is too far gone.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Obviously he wants to possess it no matter how far it is from the sea.
Not possess, but destroy. He would destroy Winterfell and leave back to the sea.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #24
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Okay sorry for what's about to be a multiquote from hell. I got busy at work and couldn't reply until now. I will snip as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
it's in the best interest of the kingdom to keep Jaime alive, so what happens when he has to weigh that against the insistent demands of his subjects to kill him? Would he even have had the chance to make that decision, and if his men killed Jaime behind his back, how would that affect his authority?
Well considering these men made him King of the North, I'd assume he would have a much better chance of controlling them than mom. At least I would hope. He's a good man, a fair King and he's winning his young butt off at this war game.

Quote:
In this regard, the book doesn't change anything, but because it allows inner dialog, and infinite time, you get more of Caitlyns thoughts (as well as everybody else.
And this is why I made the book comment in my post. I realize that having not read them, I don't have as much background and thought process that you all have so I'm never sure if what I'm saying is in character or if I've misinterpreted something.

Quote:
Littlefinger told her while at Renlys camp that both girls were alive and held by the Lannisters. WE know that Arya is not there, but Caitlyn does not.
I had forgotten that... but then again, Cat isn't trusting his word on anything, is she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
I too thought this was one of the less exciting episodes.<snip>
I'm confused about what's going on with Jon Snow and the others. <snip>
Then he gets back to his room and I was like "wait, what just happened"
So maybe before you say it wasn't an exciting episode, you should figure out what you've just watched, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
His acting through that whole scene was amazing, even before Roz came out. His look of "how the f*ck do you know?" was masterful. Loved it.
First let me tell you how awesome I think you are for always replying to my posts with such detail without spoiling anything.
And yes, he rocks every scene he's in, doesn't he? The Rolling Stones cover title couldn't be more accurate - "The Triumph of Peter Dinklage". I would have never known he was this fantastic of an actor until someone gave him the shot to do so. I seriously am in awe of him week after week.

Quote:
His name is Jaqen H'agar. I know, hard to remember unless you've read it. Anyway, he's not from Westeros which is why he speaks so strangely.
I hear it and I read it every week and yet: gun to my head, I still could not say it correctly right now. Do we know where he's from? (non book readers I mean.... as I don't recall they've given us much info on him yet)

Quote:
Yeah that sucks. While I agree that this episode didn't have anything exciting really happen, there was a lot of good story telling going on. I think (hope) the next two episodes are going to be chock-full of craziness.
I disagree that it wasn't exciting. To me, the worst episode of this show is like saying "I rode the slowest roller coaster at the park".

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Why does she think her daughters will be released. I agree with your explanation of her decision making but just letting her protector take him down there does not seem like a way to get her daughters free.
This! It's what I was trying to say. Something could go wrong along the way, they could be ambushed by Lannister army on the way or they could just spear Brienne in the neck the second she crosses the castle walls with him to bargain. I just can't see how this is anyone's best option. I would have just held him in my tent with Brienne standing guard over him all night until Robb returned to get his men in check.

Oh and for fear of bringing up the whole pirating argument (please don't) I just have to point out how crazy this is!
Game of Thrones S02E08 720p HDTV x264-IMMERSE [eztv]
Uploaded Today 05:55
Seeders: 31001
Leechers: 26264

Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
mostman

Quote:
I hear it and I read it every week and yet: gun to my head, I still could not say it correctly right now. Do we know where he's from? (non book readers I mean.... as I don't recall they've given us much info on him yet)
Not yet.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl

Oh and for fear of bringing up the whole pirating argument (please don't) I just have to point out how crazy this is!

Game of Thrones S02E08 720p HDTV x264-IMMERSE [eztv]
Uploaded Today 05:55
Seeders: 31001
Leechers: 26264
http://torrentfreak.com/whos-piratin...nd-why-120520/

Quote:
With over 3 million downloads per episode, the HBO hit series Game of Thrones is without doubt the most pirated TV-show of the season. Data gathered by TorrentFreak shows that most of the pirates come from Australia, while London tops the list of pirate cities. But why have these people turned to BitTorrent?
They don't factor in usenet along with bittorrent.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #27
Rickvz
TiVoholic

" I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid." -- Tyrion to Cersei

The delivery of this short passage (pretty much straight from the original) gave me chills.
Rickvz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
stellie93

Also cool that Tyrion was smart enough not to give away any info on Shae when Cercei said she had her.

Brienne was a good person to send Jamie with because she is totally honorable. Probably the only person in Westeros who is since Ned lost his head. She will die rather than fail to get him there, and when she gets there and they offer her a bribe instead of Sansa and Arya she's going to hold a knife to Jamie's throat and say no way. (no, I'm just speculating, not talking about anything from the books.)

Would it be a spoiler to say that when I read the books, I thought sure Bran and Rickon were dead, and thought so for what seemed like a very long time? You guys got off easy as they made it a little more obvious and brought them back way sooner.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
cheesesteak
Meh.

Why are Rob Snow and his merry band of crows attacking the snow people? I know why everybody is waging war against everybody else but I must have snoozed during that explanation.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
stellie93

The wildlings are massing in huge numbers just north of the wall. I think they're the ones planning an attack. (it's John Snow) Remember, winter is coming, and nobody wants to be too far north then.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote