TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
robla64

Comcast Cablecard fees

I know this has been covered before, but I have only the most basic cable package that gives you the locals and Spanish/Portuguese channels.
I have had a cable card in a TivoHD lifetime at no charge for a while.

A few weeks ago we had a 100% digital conversion.

Now if I get a second cable card for a TV with a cablecard slot and they want to charge me 7.45 for an additional outlet. 9.95 - 2.50 for customer owned equipment. They said I could get 2 digital adapters at no cost (only in SD)

I can't see how people will own more than one Tivo with this additional $80 a year fee per outlet.

Even if I get a second Tivo think I'll just use an antenna for the second outlet.
robla64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by robla64 View Post
I know this has been covered before, but I have only the most basic cable package that gives you the locals and Spanish/Portuguese channels.
I have had a cable card in a TivoHD lifetime at no charge for a while.

A few weeks ago we had a 100% digital conversion.

Now if I get a second cable card for a TV with a cablecard slot and they want to charge me 7.45 for an additional outlet. 9.95 - 2.50 for customer owned equipment. They said I could get 2 digital adapters at no cost (only in SD)

I can't see how people will own more than one Tivo with this additional $80 a year fee per outlet.

Even if I get a second Tivo think I'll just use an antenna for the second outlet.
I have a Comcast package (triple play) that only charges me $1.50/month per cable card and no outlet fee (AO fee =$0). I have four TiVos so I have 4 cable cards at a total of $6/month + some taxes I guess.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

CableCard prices vary greatly by provider. I have Suddenlink and it is $3.95/month each with no outlet fee. The digital/HD set top box that does the same thing as the CableCard is only $4.95/month so there isn't much discount for the card.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by robla64 View Post

if you aren't that into it anyway it's worth just getting a cablecard and seeing what your bill is.

Every Comcast rep gives a different story. Every Comcast bill seems to have a different fee.

I get PAID to have tivo's with cablecards. (my TOTAL bill is $5.20 less then the bundle fee each month)

I have a triple play bundle. - one package price for bundled services but says it includes one digital converter @$2.15 and 1 remote at 0.20. (I don't complain about the box and remote fee not being credited as i make out on cablecards I THINK- see below)

I have 3 tivo's (one S3 with 2 cards and two S4 each with 1 card- total 4 cards).

For "additional TV services" my bill says:
"cable card promotion ....$0.00"
"customer owned equipment 4 @ 2.50 each ..... -10.00"

besides the line items- the only fees on my bill are:
Under xfinity voice- "universal connectivity charge" of 1.29 for my phone (might be an FCC fee).

under taxes searchearges and fees:
local franchise fee 0.30
state monthly assessment 0.13
FCC regulatory fee 0.08
internet monthly state 0.08
NJ sales tax -0.54 (yes that's correct some how I pay negative sales tax each month.....)

My bill makes pretty much no sense.

So you might as well try picking up a card and trying it out- maybe you too will get paid for having it.

Worst case you give the card back and go to antenna.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
robla64

I had picked up the cablecard at the local office, and it wasn't working, so when I contacted Comcast via online chat, they said it was not setup for any fees, and that's why it wasn't working... That's when they said it would cost 7.45 even after the local office had said it was free.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Unless you need to access encrypted channels, you shouldn't need the CableCARD for the TV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

If you have a package that ordinarily requires a set-top box there's a $8 or $9 fee for the second outlet ("additional outlet fee"); this normally is the fee for the second box. The cablecard is free for your first outlet since the subscription normally includes one set-top box (but again you have to subscribe to a tier that normally includes a box, such as "Digital Starter" or above).

If you have a TiVo the basic sub as well as the additional outlet fee is discounted by a couple of dollars for "customer-owned equipment." The FCC requires any set-top box fee to be split into the fee for the box plus the fee for the card inside the box & a TiVo owner only pays the fee for the card and the COE discount is Comcast's implementation of this requirement.

If you want a programming tier that doesn't require a set-top box and Comcast is all-digital in your market, but your TV doesn't receive digital cable, you can get one or two "Digital Transport Adapters" for free. They can only handle SD; a Series 2 TiVo can control one of these (but not two, in the case of a 2-tuner S2).

If you don't have a subscription that normally includes a set-top box and you want or need a cablecard (to make your S3/HD/Premiere TiVo decode the channel lineup correctly) Comcast may feel justified to charge you the additional outlet fee, less the customer owned equipment discount, for each cablecard including the first one.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Unless you need to access encrypted channels, you shouldn't need the CableCARD for the TV.
A TiVo can't correlate a digital channel to the programming lineup without the cablecard, even if the channel is unencrypted, because the cable co. can assign "channel 242" to whatever available frequency they want and may change it as their needs require.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
A TiVo can't correlate a digital channel to the programming lineup without the cablecard, even if the channel is unencrypted, because the cable co. can assign "channel 242" to whatever available frequency they want and may change it as their needs require.
I said "for the TV".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
robla64

I do have a "limited basic plan" but my area has gone 100% digital.
This reminds me of when I was a kid and people had an "extra" phone in the house that the phone company didn't know about.
If I have my own equipment, I should be able to have it hooked up to as many devices as I please. 7.45 on a 10.45 plan seems a bit much.