TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
JStew

Video Output Formats

I've spent the better part of this evening looking for an answer, but can't come up with anything. I need your help!

I've got my Series 3 hooked up via HDMI going into my receiver which goes via HDMI into my HDTV. The TV can handle anything I throw at it (480i/p/720p/1080i/p).

I've tried all the various formats on the Series 3 and think "native" works best. Here's the problem: I'll set the video out to "native", hit "thumbs up" 3 times to set it, and proceed to watching something. Everything works fine until the following day when I turn the TV back on. For some reason, it automatically reverts to "720p". I have to physically go back into the system and change it back to "native".

Any ideas?

I'll dance at your next wedding if you can figure this one out!
JStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
rvsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post
I've spent the better part of this evening looking for an answer, but can't come up with anything. I need your help!

I've got my Series 3 hooked up via HDMI going into my receiver which goes via HDMI into my HDTV. The TV can handle anything I throw at it (480i/p/720p/1080i/p).

I've tried all the various formats on the Series 3 and think "native" works best. Here's the problem: I'll set the video out to "native", hit "thumbs up" 3 times to set it, and proceed to watching something. Everything works fine until the following day when I turn the TV back on. For some reason, it automatically reverts to "720p". I have to physically go back into the system and change it back to "native".
When you turn the TV off are you also turning the receiver off?
There have been many reports of receivers not doing the HDMI handshake correctly. Try connecting the TiVo direct to the TV to see if your results are the same or different.

Do you have any small kids that might be pushing the button on the TiVo that cycles through the different formats?
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
JStew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsj View Post
When you turn the TV off are you also turning the receiver off?
There have been many reports of receivers not doing the HDMI handshake correctly. Try connecting the TiVo direct to the TV to see if your results are the same or different.

Do you have any small kids that might be pushing the button on the TiVo that cycles through the different formats?
I've done a direct connection to the TV and get the same results. The video output goes to 720p after it's been turned back on. The kids have all flown the coop, so there's no shananigans as far as that's concerned.

I've also checked to make sure the receiver is treating the signal correctly using passthrough instead of allowing it to do something to it. I think there's something wrong with the Tivo. It doesn't make sense to reset itself like that.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
btwyx
Substantive Member

Its a bug and I wish they'd fix it.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

Probably part of the HDMI negotiation, your TV is telling the TiVo it is only capable of 720p. Try component cables instead.
Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Wayno1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx View Post
Its a bug and I wish they'd fix it.
I have a Sony KDL-XBR5 connected to a Yamaha RX-V1800 and then 3 tivos connected to the RX-V1800.

I have the same problem but prefer to keep my output format set to 1080i which is supported by the RX-V1800. After setting it is is switched back to 720 as well.

I have noticed that if I turn on the TV and wait before turning on the receiver that the tivos will stay are 1080i. So it seems that tivos need to sense the ability of the tv before the receiver. A mater of timing.

Maybe I do not understand the setting but I took it to mean that it would stay at 1080i until I change it.

I just got my tivos S3HD s in June and it sucks to see that this issue has been around for almost a year or more.
Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver
Harmony 890 Remote
Wayno1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
JStew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno1965 View Post
I have a Sony KDL-XBR5 connected to a Yamaha RX-V1800 and then 3 tivos connected to the RX-V1800.

I have the same problem but prefer to keep my output format set to 1080i which is supported by the RX-V1800. After setting it is is switched back to 720 as well.

I have noticed that if I turn on the TV and wait before turning on the receiver that the tivos will stay are 1080i. So it seems that tivos need to sense the ability of the tv before the receiver. A mater of timing.

Maybe I do not understand the setting but I took it to mean that it would stay at 1080i until I change it.

I just got my tivos S3HD s in June and it sucks to see that this issue has been around for almost a year or more.
I agree. I've got a Yamaha RX-V863 and couldn't be any more happy with the exception of the Tivo. I can understand having bugs but I'd really hardly call this a bug. I'm beginning to have more and more issues and I'm not interested in wasting my time trying to figure out what's wrong.

I've tried all sorts of various scenerios from turning the TV on first to switching and turning the receiver on first but it's always the same thing. Using component, if that's a cure, defeats the purpose of having HDMI.

I understand that Tivos for the most part are a "works in progress" but is it unreasonable to request that the basic functions work before you press on to bigger and better things?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
bananaman

I'm seeing this problem too. My Series 3 reverts to 720p, even though my receiver and TV can handle 1080i or 1080p.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I'm seeing this problem too. My Series 3 reverts to 720p, even though my receiver and TV can handle 1080i or 1080p.
When you say it reverts to 720p, what content is it showing at that resolution?

When you're in 16:9 native mode, Tivo sends its own menus at 720p. It still sends your other programming in its native resolution (though, for 480i programming, it's not really "native," though it is still 480i).

When you're in 4:3 smart screen native mode, TiVo sends everything ("everything" for the purposes of this discussion meaning things recorded from TV, not things downloaded from the internet or created by the user) exactly as it is recorded on the drive. It sends its own menus at 480i, with the exception of the new beta TiVo Search menu, which is sent in 720p.

I think the TiVo menus look best in 480i. In widescreen, the text is all stretched out. There are old threads here about it.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
rusky26

I know this is an old thread but has anyone ever fixed this issue? I have a RX-V1800 and this issue still bugs me!
rusky26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
JStew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky26 View Post
I know this is an old thread but has anyone ever fixed this issue? I have a RX-V1800 and this issue still bugs me!
AFAIK nothing was ever done to correct the problem. I've changed receivers and now have one that upconverts everything to 1080p.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
jrm01

Old post, but new info. I had this problem for 5 years. I would set the TiVo output to fixed 1080i, but everytime I turned off the receiver it would revert to 720p fixed. It happened with my S3 and my THD/XL.

Now I have a TiVo Premier, but still the Yamaha V861 AVR and the problem has gone away. It now stays at whatever setting I put it on.

JStew - it will be the Chicken Dance!
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
aindik

My new receiver introduced a new problem. When the TV is turned off and then turned back on, with the receiver on the whole time, the result is a squished HD image in a 4:3 frame. Cycling through the TV's aspect ratio options fixes the problem, as does switching to 480i content (either by changing the channel or going out to the menus).

Annoying especially since my 2 year old has figured out how to turn off the TV. It's a 2007 Samsung LCD where the entire base is a giant lit-up power button.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
royfernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
The exact thing is happening to me
royfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote