TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
znel

Reactivating old TCD746320 - OTA

My wife and I have used TiVo since we bought our first in early 2008. The city we lived in from 2006-2013 allowed us to use whichever DVR we wanted as long as we rented a cable card from them for $2.50 per month. In 2010 we upgraded from the Series 2 to this one and used it for 3 years

We moved in October of 2013 and the new cable company would only allows us to use their DVR, but we were lucky and moved right as they were adding TiVo, and TiVo minis as their "in house" DVRs. Due to that in 2013 we ended our contract with TiVo.

Fast forward 2 years and we have decided that the $90 per month it cost for cable, on top of internet, just isn't worth it. We cut the cord in July, and have just been using a solid indoor RCA antenna in our living room. Sitting in my recliner tonight it dawned on me that we have both our Series 2 and Series 4 Premier sitting in our basement still and can actually record the 20 some OTA channels we get for free.

TL;DR - can I run the coax from my indoor antenna to my Series 4 Premier and still get the full TiVo "experience" with the guide, recording of multiple channels, etc... by paying the $14.99 fee? OR is that not possible with the TiVo I own?

znel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:51 AM   #2
Chris Gerhard

Yes, you can do that although I don't know what the monthly fee will be, it could be a little less than that. I would not do it, I would buy lifetime service. First try to get lifetime service for the TiVo Premiere, you might be able to get that for $99, call TiVo and ask.

If the answer is no, you can buy a TiVo Roamio refurbished with lifetime for $300 now, this deal is rumored to be available for a couple more days, could last longer or could end at any time as far as I know. Act fast.

Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
If its the 2 tuner Premiere, then it can be used with an antenna.
For the Series 2, it would need a digital converter box, but it will only be 1 tuner.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
If its the 2 tuner Premiere, then it can be used with an antenna.
For the Series 2, it would need a digital converter box, but it will only be 1 tuner.
Quote:
Reactivating old TCD746320 - OTA
It is a 2-tuner Premiere according to the thread title.

Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote