TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Carleen

cTivo Downloading/Encoding VERY slowly

I just started using cTivo on my Premiere XL (is that right?), and the download rates are nowhere near what my WiFi supports. What can I do to speed it up? Also, it's currently encoding 2 shows, and not downloading anything at all. Is there anything I can do to get the encoding and downloading to run simultaneously?

Also, I'm using the H.264 High Quality encoder (this is for my iPad 3). Is it possible I can use a faster encoder?

Thanks,
Carleen

Carleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Carleen

188 views and no one had a response?? Gee. Well, I gave up and ended up just buying a bunch of shows from iTunes.

Carleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I just started using it, too, and haven't had any problems. I'm downloading a one hour HD show in about 15 minutes, so I don't know if that's good or bad. But I'm using a different encoder....just the one for an iPad I believe.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
mackworth

Hi, sorry for delay in responding. What you're seeing is not a download issue, but s conversion speed issue. So, cTiVo will download 1 show at a time (a TiVo restriction) and will also simultaneously encode up to 2 shows at a time. But once you're converting two shows, no point in downloading the next one until one of those two finished.

You should try different encoders. The one you're using is very slow. I personally use the AppleTV one primarily.

mackworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 AM   #5
telemark

Without numbers, it's impossible for us to know if it's expected behavior.

Sounds like you're waiting on encoding though, and the main thing that speeds that up is a newer processor, assuming nothing is wrong with your current setup and your processor is older. Which profile you chose also makes a speed different especially if one pass vs two pass.

Since you're using it for mobile+iOS, you might consider getting a Tivo Stream which is one of the faster encoding implementations.

This question is better suited for the TivoToGo forums, if you want more notice/comment.

Last edited by telemark; 05-21-2015 at 01:07 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote