TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
jlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 62
Retention deal within the 30-day return period?

I am half way through my 30-day trial period... undecided if I should keep the unit for the $15 monthly fee or the $499 lifetime fee.

Does anyone know that if I try to cancel within the 30 day trial period, would I be offered any kind of retention or discounted deal to keep me as a customer?
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
cubsinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
I have about a week to go. Originally picked up a series 2 with lifetime from ebay that had freezing issues. Thought I could replace HD/power supply and fix problem. Before that, called Tivo to switch the Series 2 into my name. Was able to pick up another Series 2 and Series 3 with wireless stuff for cheap from Craigslist. Called back Tivo and asked if I could transfer the lifetime to a new Premier but they said no and it would be $399. Asked them about the $99 transfer and they let me add lifetime to the Series 3 for the $99. Bought the Premier and monthly subscription figuring I could return it in 30 days.

When I called Monday, and asked when was the last day I could return it (May 21st) service rep didn't offer any "deals" at that time, will see when I call and actually return. But unless I can get lifetime on the Premier for $99, I'll return it and just buy other lifetime units.

From what I've read, not a huge difference between the Premier and HD 3's.
cubsinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
ncted
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsinaz View Post
I have about a week to go. Originally picked up a series 2 with lifetime from ebay that had freezing issues. Thought I could replace HD/power supply and fix problem. Before that, called Tivo to switch the Series 2 into my name. Was able to pick up another Series 2 and Series 3 with wireless stuff for cheap from Craigslist. Called back Tivo and asked if I could transfer the lifetime to a new Premier but they said no and it would be $399. Asked them about the $99 transfer and they let me add lifetime to the Series 3 for the $99. Bought the Premier and monthly subscription figuring I could return it in 30 days.

When I called Monday, and asked when was the last day I could return it (May 21st) service rep didn't offer any "deals" at that time, will see when I call and actually return. But unless I can get lifetime on the Premier for $99, I'll return it and just buy other lifetime units.

From what I've read, not a huge difference between the Premier and HD 3's.
The biggest difference is probably MRS, but if you don't watch cable shows, it probably doesn't matter so much.
__________________
Slogging along with Dish Hopper for now.
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
cubsinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
On a secondary note, after replacing the hard drive and power supply on the freezing unit with parts from other Tivos I've bought, it still freezes after a short time. I put the freezing units HD and PS in another series two and it runs fine with no freezing. Looks like it might be the motherboard.
cubsinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Joe01880
I love my TiVo
 
Joe01880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
I am half way through my 30-day trial period... undecided if I should keep the unit for the $15 monthly fee or the $499 lifetime fee.

Does anyone know that if I try to cancel within the 30 day trial period, would I be offered any kind of retention or discounted deal to keep me as a customer?
Call TiVo and tell them you want to cancel before you get to the end of the 30 trial, see what deal they offer you if any then come back and tell us what they say.
You can always change your mind and decide not to cancel mid call and just say, never mind, do nothing right now please.

Just a hint, you might not want to wait until day 30 to cancel if thats what your thinking..just in case there is a hitch or miscomunication.
__________________

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
cubsinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Called yesterday to cancel (because I really did want to cancel) Rep was polite asked why I was canceling and I told him I had a chance to buy a premiere w/ PLS for $200 from a "friend", but if they could make me a deal on the PLS on their premier I would keep it. No Go. Said they can't offer a reduced PLS on Premiere's (except multi discount $399). I do have two other Tivo's w/PLS with them, so don't know if that made a difference, didn't sound like it did.
cubsinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsinaz View Post
Called yesterday to cancel (because I really did want to cancel) Rep was polite asked why I was canceling and I told him I had a chance to buy a premiere w/ PLS for $200 from a "friend", but if they could make me a deal on the PLS on their premier I would keep it. No Go. Said they can't offer a reduced PLS on Premiere's (except multi discount $399). I do have two other Tivo's w/PLS with them, so don't know if that made a difference, didn't sound like it did.
Apparently having that Premiere, even temporarily, let you get the $99 lifetime deal on the S3, even though you'd only recently bought the S3.

Without the Premiere you'd probably have had to have owned that S3 and had it subscribed for the last 3 years or so.

So I don't think you can complain too much.

What's the model number on that lifetimed S2?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |