TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
GarKar

How long will 1TB drive last?

I have a 3.5 year old S3 that I manually upgraded to a 1TB Western Digital drive 3 years ago using WinMFS. I'm still running without noticeable problems, but how long should I expect this to last? I still have the original 3 year old image, but should I make another system image currently in case of problems? Since HD shows cannot be transferred and I have some archived, should I copy the shows too? Should I use any of the kickstart diagnostics to evaluate the drive or is there a better way? Thanks in advance. I haven't been on this forum much since I have been trouble-free for a long time.
GarKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I have a 1 TB drive on my DirecTV dvr that started its life in my Series 3. It is now 5 years old.

I never had good luck with DVR drives before that, but I bought the same model that was in the TiVo HD (can't remember the exact model.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
MeInDallas

You can always try the kickstart 54 code which is the S.M.A.R.T. test for the drive and see if there are any issues with it. Since its a 1TB drive you might wanna start it when you leave for work in the morning or when you go to sleep at night because it will take quite a few hours to do.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Chris Gerhard

My experience based on IDE drives in DVRs, about 5 years on average, but I don't have any failures yet with SATA drives. I have 4 drives running constantly now, 2 160GB, 1 500GB and 1 1TB drive, no failures with 3-4 years on the drives.

It doesn't matter what anybody says in any event, the drive will last a long time or it won't, failures can't be predicted ahead of time. I haven't read anything that makes me believe modern drives will last longer but it is too early to know for sure.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
GarKar

Thank you for the responses. It seemed like I never had an ide drive in my S2 last more than 2-3 years. So far, so good on this 1TB sata. I may try the kickstart 54 test to see if any issues are reported. Would it be a good idea to get a current system image with Winmfs in case of future problems?
GarKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
blacknoi

This topic is very timely. I have a HD and an original Series3 with upgraded 1TB drives. They will be 4 and 3 years old respectively relative to when I did their drive upgrade.

No issues so far knock on wood. I have their original hard drives in storage, but might want to make a more recent backup (for season passes etc) from the currently installed drives.

How large is a backup of just the system partitions on an HD and S3 unit (no shows)?

Last edited by blacknoi : 04-06-2012 at 10:35 AM.
blacknoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarKar View Post
I have a 3.5 year old S3 that I manually upgraded to a 1TB Western Digital drive 3 years ago using WinMFS. I'm still running without noticeable problems, but how long should I expect this to last? I still have the original 3 year old image, but should I make another system image currently in case of problems? Since HD shows cannot be transferred and I have some archived, should I copy the shows too? Should I use any of the kickstart diagnostics to evaluate the drive or is there a better way? Thanks in advance. I haven't been on this forum much since I have been trouble-free for a long time.
Hard to tell how long it will last. I've had S1 boxes with the original drives still working just fine. As for images, there are ones available if you search the thread in the Upgrade Forum. Any shows you want to save can be copied to your PC (if the copyright flag is not set) using TIvo Desktop, kmttg, or pyTivo. All are free programs.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
S3-2501

FWIW, yesterday I had a WD10EVDS die on me after almost exactly two years. I had to unplug my TivoHD, and when I plugged it back in the drive made a strange sound like it was struggling to spin up. The Tivo never made it past the powering up screen. Sure enough, after removing the drive and plugging it into a separate power supply, the drive makes strange electronic sounds, but those eventually stop and the drive never manages to spin up. Thankfully, it's still under warranty and I've already arranged for an RMA replacement via WD's website. When the replacement process is complete I will be posting the details of my experience over in the upgrade thread.

Last edited by S3-2501 : 04-08-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Corrected the time in use before drive failure
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I have a five-year-old S3 with the original drive, and it just died a couple days ago. That's a 250 GB drive, of course, for whatever difference it might make.

It's just old enough to make it tricky to find a replacement drive. Everything's SATA now. I'm looking at a refurbished 250 GB from Newegg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I have a five-year-old S3 with the original drive, and it just died a couple days ago. That's a 250 GB drive, of course, for whatever difference it might make.

It's just old enough to make it tricky to find a replacement drive. Everything's SATA now. I'm looking at a refurbished 250 GB from Newegg.
The S3 uses SATA drives so it should not be a problem finding a drive. Any reason you would not want to go with a 1TB?

I've been very happy with the WD10EVCS and would probably consider the current version.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:

Even if that were a Series 1 or Series 2, it'd work fine with a SATA drive and the right SATA/IDE adapter, as long as it wasn't a Caviar Blue in an S1.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
The S3 uses SATA drives
Does it really? Huh. Shows what I know. Thanks.

Quote:
Any reason you would not want to go with a 1TB?
None at all. I just had this idea that the S3 still used IDE drives, and I couldn't find a larger one for a good price.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Teeps

Quote:
I'm still running without noticeable problems, but how long should I expect this to last?
Touch wood I've had drives last 10 years; I've had drives fail in a couple of years.
The answer is there is no definite answer.
If you are that concerned. Get a replacement drive of the same size. Then after giving it a good torture test.

Do a bit copy of the existing drive. That will preserve all current data.

Quote:
I still have the original 3 year old image, but should I make another system image currently in case of problems?

Since HD shows cannot be transferred and I have some archived, should I copy the shows too?
See above.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
None at all. I just had this idea that the S3 still used IDE drives, and I couldn't find a larger one for a good price.
No, the original S3 was the first TiVo to use SATA drives. There are some specific drives that can give trouble, most notably Intellipark drives. This issue (won't soft reboot) can usually be circumvented by running the WDIDLE utility and disabling Intellipark. See the S3 hard drive upgrade thread for more info.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Since HD shows cannot be transferred
Who says? HD shows can be transferred like any others. Copy protected (CCI > 0x00) shows cannot be transferred from an unmodified TiVo, but that is true whether the show is SD or HD.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
sender_name
XM 202!

I have a S2 with the original Drive from 2003....Still going strong. I vacuum it out once a year to clear all the dust. I have a backup of the drive image and a S3 with a 1TB in it...

I never came across the WDIDLE utility...what a relief. I had to try 3 different 1TB drives before i got the Retail one that works for the S3 back then. I have a Home Theater network with over 6TB as a result...
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Touch wood I've had drives last 10 years
At work I have several dozen embedded systems whose hard drives have been spinning continuously since circa 1994.

Quote:
I've had drives fail in a couple of years.
... and I've had a number fail out of the box.

Quote:
The answer is there is no definite answer.
Good answer.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
DTxAg

The drive I put in the original S3 on its release day is still chugging along fine.
DTxAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
rainbow

Quote:
...Get a replacement drive of the same size. Then after giving it a good torture test.

Do a bit copy of the existing drive. That will preserve all current data.
See above.
Would I be able to clone my S3 WD1TEARS harddrive to a 1.5 WD without any problems? or is it better just to use another WD 1T?

I have a dual HDD dock that I plan to use to clone the HD that is in my S3 right now.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

S3 boxes were always easy to go to a larger hard drive using winMFS. I went from the stock 250GB drives, to 500GB drives to the Hitachi 1TB drives when they were released in early 2007. My girlfriend still has two of my original s3 boxes with those Hitachi 1TB, five platter drives in them and they are still going strong, 5+ years later.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Would I be able to clone my S3 WD1TEARS harddrive to a 1.5 WD without any problems? or is it better just to use another WD 1T?

I have a dual HDD dock that I plan to use to clone the HD that is in my S3 right now.
I don't know if you can use a larger drive if you're copying bit for bit.
The worst thing that can happen is you lose all the data, if it goes wrong or TiVo rejects the copy.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:

I assume you mean a WD10EARS and an original S3 (TCD648250).

You should be able to use

dd_rescue

or something similar to do a byte for byte copy.

I beleive others have used 1.2TB of 1.5TB drives in an original S3, so the drive should work, but you probably won't be able to expand it any further than the 1TB you "Xerox" over to it.

Someone else will have to answer as to whether the dual dock will let you do this or if each drive will need its own connection.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
...I assume you mean a WD10EARS and an original S3 (TCD648250)....
correct/original S3 plus upgraded 1T HD, which turns out to be WD10EVDS. My tivo was rebooting every 15min or so last nt, so I went ahead and disconnected it. Was hoping it was not the case, but it is the ..... CAPACITORS...

I have another orig S3 I had bought years ago, but ended up not subbing. So I had that one to compare my lifetime one to. A definite difference. Now I have to find someone to replace them.

I was really bummed last night - missing my TIVO

I figure I will try tonight to clone the HD to a WD2TEARS that I have, just in case.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
unitron

Quote:
correct/original S3 plus upgraded 1T HD, which turns out to be WD10EVDS. My tivo was rebooting every 15min or so last nt, so I went ahead and disconnected it. Was hoping it was not the case, but it is the ..... CAPACITORS...

I have another orig S3 I had bought years ago, but ended up not subbing. So I had that one to compare my lifetime one to. A definite difference. Now I have to find someone to replace them.

I was really bummed last night - missing my TIVO

I figure I will try tonight to clone the HD to a WD2TEARS that I have, just in case.
Do you have recordings that you're trying to save?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you have recordings that you're trying to save?
Yep - a whole bunch. lots of movies I saved when the pay stations were unscrambled that hadn't watched yet and a bunch of other stuff....almost the whole hard drive in fact...
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #26
unitron

Quote:
Yep - a whole bunch. lots of movies I saved when the pay stations were unscrambled that hadn't watched yet and a bunch of other stuff....almost the whole hard drive in fact...
As I mentioned to you or somebody entirely else around here recently, you can use something like

dd_rescue

to "Xerox" a 1TB to a same or larger size drive and then "Xerox" it to another 1TB drive later.

I don't know for certain that an original S3 can handle a 2TB, regardless of how much or little of it is actually used. 1.5 with only 1.2 used may be the limit without some aftermarket voodoo that we mere mortals don't know how to do.

But you can still back up the drive to the 2TB until you can get a replacement 1TB.

It'll go something like

dd_rescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

until you get an EndOfFile error message.

Your drive names may vary.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
jeffw_00

OP asked a question no-one answered. Archived programs aside, is there any reason to make a new backup every couple of years?
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
OP asked a question no-one answered. Archived programs aside, is there any reason to make a new backup every couple of years?
Not really. Having a backup is important if you want to be able to prepare a new HD for your TiVo rather quickly. An older version will get upgraded to the latest version automatically in a few days.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
jeffw_00

thx
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #30
ltxi

Should last as long as any other drive lasts. My original, upgraded, S1 has been reliably putting along since late Y2K. Maybe 10 or less TiVos later I've had only one drive failure...on an upgraded S2DT a few years ago. Have four running at the moment, including the S1.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote