TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
LDLDL

Software won't install

I have a Tivo HD which is now running software 11.0j.
Periodically (almost every other day), Tivo will download software, however it will not install it. This box should be running 11.0k.
Because of this, every other day or two, I'll turn on the TV and will get a blank screen. Then I have to unplug/reboot and it will download the software again, go into pending restart. Reboot again, and it will show suceeded, however software version is still 11.0j.
Not one soul at Tivo can help!!! Does anyone think getting a new hard drive will solve the problem?
Thanks for your help!!!!
LDLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Have you tried running the SMART tests (via kickstart 54) on the drive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDLDL View Post
Periodically (almost every other day), Tivo will download software, however it will not install it. This box should be running 11.0k.
Because of this, every other day or two, I'll turn on the TV and will get a blank screen. Then I have to unplug/reboot and it will download the software again, go into pending restart. Reboot again, and it will show suceeded, however software version is still 11.0j.
Not one soul at Tivo can help!!! Does anyone think getting a new hard drive will solve the problem?
Thanks for your help!!!!
As was suggested by the last poster, you may have hard drive issues. My understanding is that the Tivo has one set of partitions for the currently used SW version and another set of partitions for the previous (or new) version. It almost sounds like the software is getting installed on the hard drive but there is a problem when it tries to swap the partitions so it reverts back to the "j" version. Check out kickstart codes 51 and 52 to see if you can force a swap. You can run kickstart code 54 but the best test is to pull the drive and run the manufactuer's drive tests on it. If you determine that you have to replace the drive, PM me for an S3HD image. Here is a link to instructions for the kickstart codes:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
LDLDL

@windracer & @lillevig
Thanks for the reply! At first I had no idea what you both were talking about until I clicked onto the link.
Tivo had me perform this test this past summer. Everything checked out okay and my drive had no problems. The next suggestion from them was to delete everything and start fresh. This process did nothing. Fortunately, the Tivo HD box was in the bedroom and didn't have much on it. I have since purchased a Premier XL and put the Premier that I had in the bedroom. The HD is in a spare bedroom which my son is occupying for a short while. This rebooting and all is getting on his nerves.
Sounds like I should just order a hard drive from Weaknees!
Your thoughts?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Your thoughts?
First check out DVR Dude on e-bay. He is a reputable seller and may beat Weaknees' price.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
LDLDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
First check out DVR Dude on e-bay. He is a reputable seller and may beat Weaknees' price.
I will... Thanks. But will all of the software and the rest of the .... be on the hard drive?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I will... Thanks. But will all of the software and the rest of the .... be on the hard drive?
If you are trying to save the information (shows recorded) on your failing hard drive, then weaknees may be the solution as they provide that service. Caveat being that if the hard drive is too far gone, you'll be SOL.
I don't know if DVR Dude provides that service.

If you are asking if the hard drive comes prepared with the Tivo software already on it where all you have to do is take the old one out and put the new one in, then yes.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for your help!!!!
How are you at taking things apart and getting them back together still working?

Ever replace a PC's hard drive?

Got a Torx-10 driver?

Ever use a soldering iron?

Got a voltmeter?

One way or another we can figure out how to fix this.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
@windracer & @lillevig
Thanks for the reply! At first I had no idea what you both were talking about until I clicked onto the link.
Tivo had me perform this test this past summer. Everything checked out okay and my drive had no problems. The next suggestion from them was to delete everything and start fresh. This process did nothing. Fortunately, the Tivo HD box was in the bedroom and didn't have much on it. I have since purchased a Premier XL and put the Premier that I had in the bedroom. The HD is in a spare bedroom which my son is occupying for a short while. This rebooting and all is getting on his nerves.
Your thoughts?
Check on eBay for a drive. Some of the listings there have pre-formatted drives for various Tivos if you don't want to do it yourself. I actually bought one for my Premiere even though I've formatted drives for several other Tivos.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
LDLDL

I'm going to try a few more test. If they don't work, I'll get a drive from DVR Dude. Is this still true? Because I have a 500 GB expander attached to the Tivo HD.

(Once you upgrade the built-in drive, the TiVo's "play and play" drive expansion no longer works.)
Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I'm going to try a few more test. If they don't work, I'll get a drive from DVR Dude. Is this still true? Because I have a 500 GB expander attached to the Tivo HD.

(Once you upgrade the built-in drive, the TiVo's "play and play" drive expansion no longer works.)
As has been mentioned, when TiVo downloads a software update, it writes it to the alternate boot partition set, and then rewrites the bootpage to cause the alternate to become the main and the main the alternate the next time it reboots.

WinMFS will let you rewrite the bootpage yourself to force that.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
LDLDL

Talked to Tivo tonight and since my problem goes back to 2010, they suggested that I either get another box or get another hard drive. I did kickstart 54 and everything was okay. I didn't do 51 or 52 because Tivo said that it would not work for my situation. For me, I tried the streaming thing last night and FELL IN LOVE!!!! It worked great in my house. I'm going to get a Premier and that way I can stream between three Tivos. I'm going to retire the HD, maybe until I find the need to replace the hard drive and give it to one of the kids (if they want it)! Last question, if I get another box and retire one box, can I transfer the monthly fee I pay for the previous box? Or are they going to charge me the new higher rate?
Thanks for all of the replys.... This is a great forum
Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Talked to Tivo tonight and since my problem goes back to 2010, they suggested that I either get another box or get another hard drive. For me, I tried the streaming thing last night and FELL IN LOVE!!!! It worked great in my house. I'm going to get a Premier and that way I can stream between three Tivos. I'm going to retire the HD, maybe until I find the need to replace the hard drive and give it to one of the kids (if they want it)! Last question, if I get another box and retire one box, can I transfer the monthly fee I pay for the previous box? Or are they going to charge me the new higher rate?
Thanks for all of the replys.... This is a great forum
Call TiVo. If you pay full price for the Premiere ($299), they will likely transfer the plan on the HD to the Premiere.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:

There's a way to "Xerox" the original internal drive to another drive of the same size or larger without expanding, so that the TiVo and the external would consider it to be the same drive as what's in there now.

Then, once you've got everything watched up or copied to computer, you could divorce the external and expand the internal.

Is that HD lifetimed, or on a super low monthly rate?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
LDLDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
There's a way to "Xerox" the original internal drive to another drive of the same size or larger without expanding, so that the TiVo and the external would consider it to be the same drive as what's in there now.

Then, once you've got everything watched up or copied to computer, you could divorce the external and expand the internal.

Is that HD lifetimed, or on a super low monthly rate?
Super low monthly rate.... $9.95
So what you're telling me is that if I were to purchace per say a 2TB hard drive for my HD, I won't be able to use any external expander (500MB or 1TB)drive ever?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
LDLDL

Quote:
Call TiVo. If you pay full price for the Premiere ($299), they will likely transfer the plan on the HD to the Premiere.
What? I will not pay $299 for a Premier when I can get one for under $100.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I dont know if this has been suggested, but maybe try removing the DVR expander from the TiVo HD then see if it will take the update. You can always plug the expander back in and see how things work if the update takes.

Edit, if you were to buy a 2TB intenal HDD for your TiVo HD from the like of DVR Dude you wont need an external expander as 2TB is as high as you can go at this time with TiVo expansion.
You also eliminate 1 source of possible failure, instead of having 2 hard drives and playing a guessing game on which one or if both are bad, you only have the one to contend with.
I use 2- 2TB hard drives for my TiVo's from DVR Dude and have had no issues with either.

another tip;

To save yourself a few bucks, in another threat; http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=475081

if you call to cancel (on a separet call to TiVo), your TiVo HD, since you already have a Premiere they might offer you lifetime service on the TiVo HD at $99.

Replacing its hard drive with a 2tb figure about 169 to 189, product lifetime 99 and you have just given your TiVo HD a nice resale value if you ever decide to sell it one day.

The $99 lifetime deal is good for you because you pay more than that now at 9.95 a month.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-01-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
I dont know if this has been suggested, but maybe try removing the DVR expander from the TiVo HD then see if it will take the update. You can always plug the expander back in and see how things work if the update takes...
If it's working right otherwise, I'd think he'd get an error message about the missing external and have to either divorce it or pull the plug from the wall socket. I don't think missing external has a "worry about it later" option. That's why I suggested forcing the swap with the bootfix utility in WinMFS.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it's working right otherwise, I'd think he'd get an error message about the missing external and have to either divorce it or pull the plug from the wall socket. I don't think missing external has a "worry about it later" option. That's why I suggested forcing the swap with the bootfix utility in WinMFS.
I thought i read that he said there wasnt much recorded on that TiVo, so i figured (assumed, my bad) he would just divorce it from the external hard drive. Guess i should have been specific, sorry. Then retry forcing a connection to see if his TiVo HD would update to 11.0k with the external out of the loop, unless he's done that and i missed it. Having had 2 externals in the recent past i found them to be interestring if not an annoyance all together.
As for the WinMFS stuff, i apologize but i dont have working knowledge of some of that stuff (or confidence in my ability to use it properly), i wish i did, would love to make my own TiVo HDD's. The best i have done is use KS codes in the past, replace a hard drive with one(s) from the Dude, pray..and cuss a lot!
If he buys a HDD from DVR Dude or maybe Weaknees (have never used them ..yet) it may come with 11.0K already on it, if not, my modified THD updated to it with no problems.

11.0k, IMO not sure what the hurry is unless 11.j is really bad. I find 11.0k to be very stable, but sluggish although my primary TiVo is a Premiere and im use to the menus in it.

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
LDLDL

@ unitron & @ Joe01880
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered a Premier this morning. I didn't klnow that there was a max of 2TB on the Tivo's. Why does the elite have an e-sata (external) slot?
I will try divorcing the 500GB expander on the HD and force a connection.
The only reason I wanted the update from 11.0j to 11.0k was because the HD keeps trying to install the software and when it doesn't succeed, I will get a blank screen and would have to unplug the box. This happens at least twice a week.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #21
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Why does the elite have an e-sata (external) slot?.
Good question, i dont know. Maybe what i read about 2TB being the max HDD size is old or bad news..or maybe one can expand more than 2TB with internal then adding external..but i dont think so. Maybe its diffrent with an Elite, i dont have one...yet

I am finding 2tb on each of 2 TiVo's another 500gig on a FiOS DVR and another 2tb on my computer that i can transfer to more than enough storage.

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
What? I will not pay $299 for a Premier when I can get one for under $100.
I think you mis-understood. I was just letting you know there is an option.

You say your Tivo HD is $9.99 /mo? If you buy a Premiere at full price, you (supposedly) can transfer that plan to the Premiere and keep paying $9.99 /mo.
Otherwise, you have to pay at least $14.99 /mo.

What plan did you get for your new Premiere?

F*CK CANCER!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
LDLDL

Quote:
I think you mis-understood. I was just letting you know there is an option.

You say your Tivo HD is $9.99 /mo? If you buy a Premiere at full price, you (supposedly) can transfer that plan to the Premiere and keep paying $9.99 /mo.
Otherwise, you have to pay at least $14.99 /mo.

What plan did you get for your new Premiere?
It doesn't come until tomorrow and I haven't decided what plan to get.

Last edited by LDLDL : 02-02-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: error
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
matt757

Similar problem with my HD XL

Quote:
Thanks for your help!!!!
My HD XL (658) won't upgrade to 11.0k. It's stuck on 11.0j. When I go into Settings and manually Connect to Tivo, it connects, downloads, and on the last step, Loading info, it says (Pending restart).

Everything is working fine right now except that Video on Demand locks up pretty frequently with a grey screen, requiring a reboot. Also, a few months ago, it stopped getting guide data. I called Tivo and they wanted $200 to fix it. They also mentioned that there was a small percentage of HD XL's out there that were not updating to this 11.0K for some reason! So instead, I did a Clear and Delete Everything and it started getting guide data again, but the Video on Demand problem remained. I've got Product Lifetime on this, so I'd like to keep it working and get Video on Demand working right. I tried Kickstart codes 51,52, and 56 with no luck (I never saw the screen that is supposed to say "Installing a Service Update"). Also 54 Smart test and it passed.

Anyhow I thought I'd try my hand at WinMFS and put the image on manually. Anybody know where I can get an 11.0k image for an HD XL? Unfortunately, I can't PM anybody yet because I don't have 10 posts.

Thanks!
matt757 is offline   Reply With Quote