TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
dboff01

Season Pass Settings Questions

I recently bought a Tivo Premiere for use with local cable.

I typically have about 15-20 shows (mostly/all HD) in the Season Pass Manager. I basically want to set all shows to 'Keep until I delete', and if I allow the hard drive to fill up, stop recording new stuff. Seems simple to me.

If I set all shows to Keep Until I Delete it starts warning me upcoming shows won't record even when my HD is less than 15% full.

Alternatively, if I set the programs to Keep Until Space Needed (which I assume to mean don't delete anything until 100% hard drive), it starts tagging shows as yellow and warns it will delete within a few days, again even when my current HD usage is < 15% utilized.

What gives? How do I get the machine to record what I want, never delete anything on its own, and stop recording if drive is full?

Thanks
dboff01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post
...How do I get the machine to record what I want, never delete anything on its own, and stop recording if drive is full?
Set all season passes to Keep Until I Delete.
Change "Keep at most" setting for all season passes to Keep All (I think it defaults to 5). This is a must, or else it stops recording after 5 episodes are recorded (with Keep Until I Delete) or starts deleting oldest episode (if Keep Until Space Needed), both regardles of space on the disk.

Yellow warning stuff is not reliable, I usually ignore it.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
WhiskeyTango

The Tivo takes future scheduled recordings into account. So although you may have free space available, future recordings may max out your drive space. Therefore, anything scheduled after that won't have any space available to record.

The yellow icon indicates WHEN a recording will become AVAILABLE for deletion, if space is needed. The yellow icon with the "!" indicates a recording is now AVAILABLE fore deletion, not that it will be deleted.

To achieve what you want, set the SP's to Keep Until I Delete. When the drive is full it will stop recording.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
dboff01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
Change "Keep at most" setting for all season passes to Keep All (I think it defaults to 5). This is a must, or else it stops recording after 5 episodes are recorded (with Keep Until I Delete) or starts deleting oldest episode (if Keep Until Space Needed), both regardles of space on the disk.

I started with these settings and it kept reporting that upcoming episodes of various shows won't be recorded. Why? Shouldn't it only stop record when the HD is 100% full, not before?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
dboff01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
The Tivo takes future scheduled recordings into account. So although you may have free space available, future recordings may max out your drive space. Therefore, anything scheduled after that won't have any space available to record.

The yellow icon indicates WHEN a recording will become AVAILABLE for deletion, if space is needed. The yellow icon with the "!" indicates a recording is now AVAILABLE fore deletion, not that it will be deleted.

To achieve what you want, set the SP's to Keep Until I Delete. When the drive is full it will stop recording.
Thanks for the info.

So it sounds like the warnings that future episodes of a given show won't record are given under the assumption that all the new recordings will fill up the HD and I won't have deleted anything by that time? In others words, if I plan to stay on top of viewing and deleting recordings, I can ignore these messages?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post
Thanks for the info.

So it sounds like the warnings that future episodes of a given show won't record are given under the assumption that all the new recordings will fill up the HD and I won't have deleted anything by that time? In others words, if I plan to stay on top of viewing and deleting recordings, I can ignore these messages?
Correct. The Tivo acts under the assumption that nothing will be deleted. If you continue to make room available, recordings will continue.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Just because it gets a yellow dot to mean it's AVAILABLE for deletion doesn't mean it will be deleted, I have yellow items that are years old.

The forums are strewn with folks that have issues because they feel the obsession to make everything KUID when it's not needed, and really it isn't needed. You've already seen that marking everything present and future as KUID isn't the best idea from a workflow structure.

IMO folks get very hung up on the yellow eligibility and overcompensate with KUID when it's not needed thus causing additional unneeded complications.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
unitron

When you delete stuff (on TiVos newer than the original Series 1 models), it goes into the "Recently Deleted" folder, from which it can be "saved" if you get to it before it's permanently deleted.

Supposedly the stuff in there will be permanently deleted when the space is needed.

If there's more than one item in there, I'm not sure if the one permanently deleted will be the one recorded the longest ago, regardless of when it was deleted, or if the one permanently deleted will be the one deleted longest ago regardless of when it was first recorded, or if it uses a different algorithm altogether.

What I have seen is stuff in "Recently Deleted" ignored and something recorded only a few day earlier permanently deleted if no save until status had been assigned.

Therefore you might want to, on a regular basis, go through the "Recently Deleted" folder and permanently delete the stuff that you know that you're through with just to be on the safe side.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The forums are strewn with folks that have issues because they feel the obsession to make everything KUID when it's not needed, and really it isn't needed.
I wouldn't say that it "really isn't needed". I completely understand (and agree with(*)) why it works the way it does.. and even when I had a huge hard drive, I still didn't have absolutely everything keep until I delete because of the warnings.. But I in effect do want everything keep until I delete. I *have* lost recordings (esp when an autorecording wishlist kicks in and records something off of a HD channel.. or I CANCEL something from the To Do list, and then something else takes its place).

(*) Some ultra-geeky "let me have everything KUID but give it a 'hint' of how soon I will likely watch it" would be awesome, but there are so many other day to day issues that are far bigger than I know this will never happen and would be hard to do anyway.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
looter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post

Just got a TiVo Premiere after not having a TiVo for years (just ditched DIRECTV for Fios). Can you not change the default episodes to keep to 10 or KUID in SP?
looter is offline   Reply With Quote