TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #121
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Looks potentially awesome and awful all at once. I think I'd have a hard time believing that someone couldn't just harness a river and make a generator or burn some wood and create a small power plant. Electrons don't just magically disappear.

See? I'm already ruining for myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #122
jamesl

it will last 1/2 a season,
maybe a full season
but will definitely not be renewed
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #123
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
I love post-apocalyptic stuff, so I'll be recording this one. I'm hoping it's good, but a few of the clips I've seen remind of of teh teen melodrama that ruined Fox's Terra Nova.

Hesitant to watch it because it does look it has that melodrama that Terra Nova had.

I'll record it and take a look, but I feel like it'll get cancelled.
Tyrion The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #124
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl
it will last 1/2 a season,
maybe a full season
but will definitely not be renewed
That's a terrible Haiku.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #125
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
That's a terrible Haiku.
Terrible logic, too.

I'm sure the exact same thing could have been said, with the exact same justification, about Lost.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #126
stellie93

I'm reading a book by SM Stirling that has the same premise--somebody in this thread recommended it earlier. It's one of those things that is impossible, but yet you are seeing it first hand, so you had better get on board and react to the new situation, or you're done. When the zombie apocalypse comes, it does no good to sit around saying there's no such thing.

Useless to say in this forum, but lets just accept the premise instead of debating how impossible it is. Please.....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #127
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Terrible logic, too.

I'm sure the exact same thing could have been said, with the exact same justification, about Lost.

I'm sure the exact same thing could have been said, with the exact same justification, about Terra Nova
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #128
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
I'm sure the exact same thing could have been said, with the exact same justification, about Terra Nova
I think you're making Rob's point for him.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #129
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Looks potentially awesome and awful all at once. I think I'd have a hard time believing that someone couldn't just harness a river and make a generator or burn some wood and create a small power plant. Electrons don't just magically disappear.
Even from what little we've seen in the trailer, it seems clear to me that there's an ongoing suppression effect -- it's not an EMP, it's much more interesting than that. And the amulet temporarily cancels the effect in a local area.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #130
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
That's a terrible Haiku.
It scans more like the end of a limmerick.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #131
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine

It scans more like the end of a limmerick.
Exactly my point.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #132
dwit

Looks to much like Terra Nova and Falling Skies.

I'm wondering if it will even last a whole season.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #133
wprager

Quote:
Did the BG people ever say that they had a plan?

They said the Cylons had a plan, but I don't recall them ever saying THEY had a plan, and in fact I have vague memories of Ronald Moore lavishing contempt on the notion that he SHOULD have a plan.
Say what you will about the ending but that was still two of the best seasons of TV I've ever watched. And parts of 3 and 4 were also still goof. As much as I love Firefly, it did not really even last what would normally be considered a full season -- who knows how it would have gone.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #134
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

The only thing I can think of similar is a book I read called "The Trigger" by Arthur C Clarke. It's premise was that a device was created that "supressed" all explosions, rendering bullets, bombs, and all explosives inert.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #135
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Terrible logic, too.

And how'd that turn out?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #136
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
And how'd that turn out?
It lasted six years, and made ABC a TON of money.

Or did you mean something else?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #137
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
It lasted six years, and made ABC a TON of money.

Or did you mean something else?
I meant for the viewers.

But I guess it's all a question of perspective.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #138
andyw715

For local peoples.

They are filiming today for "Revolution" on Marathon Ave. 11am - 2am (sat).
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #139
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

They must be filming in northern India this week.
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #140
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Watch "Revolution's" Olympics preview

Revolution's Olympics Preview

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #141
eddyj

I like how they have been emphasizing the girl with the bow in the ads and pictures, to cash in on the popularity of The Hunger Games.

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #142
avoiding work

No ending

I love sci-fi shows like this, but a common problem that I have is that they never have an end. If the networks have a hit, they want to run it to continue for ever. Seldom do you get a situation like Lost, where there is (arguably) a well-planned ending. It would be great if they would indicate at the beginning that this show will last exactly x (e.g. 2 or 3) seasons, and come to an end.

I have the same thoughts about the show Once Upon a TIme. I am enjoying the show, but will eventually tire of it. Then sometime after most people have stopped watching, they will end it - but I won't see the ending because I will have already given up.
avoiding work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #143
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoiding work View Post
I love sci-fi shows like this, but a common problem that I have is that they never have an end. If the networks have a hit, they want to run it to continue for ever. Seldom do you get a situation like Lost, where there is (arguably) a well-planned ending. It would be great if they would indicate at the beginning that this show will last exactly x (e.g. 2 or 3) seasons, and come to an end.

I have the same thoughts about the show Once Upon a TIme. I am enjoying the show, but will eventually tire of it. Then sometime after most people have stopped watching, they will end it - but I won't see the ending because I will have already given up.

I have had a hard time following Once Upon a Time. Honestly, every time I go back and try and watch a new episode, I get bored of it pretty quickly.
Tyrion The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #144
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I love sci-fi shows like this, but a common problem that I have is that they never have an end.
"avoiding work"... you have 12 posts in 7 years. You're not avoiding near enough work.

But I totally agree with your point. Far too many shows run far too long. A great concept, shown over a limited amount of time, would (IMHO) increase viewership. People would watch, knowing a conclusion is coming.

But what do we know, compared to the vast and unlimited knowledge of TV execs.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #145
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

A great concept, shown over a limited amount of time, would (IMHO) increase viewership. People would watch, knowing a conclusion is coming.
The majority of U.K. shows do this. I love it and wish U.S. shows would take a lesson.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #146
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

How do you propose for this to work? The vast majority of shows don't last past the first season. If the creators and the network plan for the show to last 2-3 seasons, and then the ratings don't warrant the show continuing past the first season, then viewers are pissed. If the creators and the network plan for the show to last 2-3 seasons, and the show continues to be profitable through the third season and then it just ends, both viewers and network shareholders will be pissed.

I think the current method makes the most sense, from a business perspective. If there is viewer demand for a show (ratings), it will continue. If not, it will be canceled. There really isn't any other way to do it.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #147
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
The majority of U.K. shows do this. I love it and wish U.S. shows would take a lesson.
There's no shortage of British shows that have ended badly and
/or unexpectedly in spite of this.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #148
robojerk

Anyone else losing interest in this show since seeing NBC's new promo's during the Olympics?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #149
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Anyone else losing interest in this show since seeing NBC's new promo's during the Olympics?
I've intentionally avoided any promos of this show. I'm going to watch it regardless, as it's right up my alley. So given that I know I'm going to watch, I'd rather go in with as little foreknowledge as possible.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #150
robojerk

The promos don't show anything you wouldn't already know by now. Looks like they shot it on a sound stage with green screen. It (the promos) looks like cheap crap.