TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

My Premiere has gone crazy!

I have been suffering from random reboots for several months. The Tivo became almost unusable because it would reboot 9-12 times per day and often cut off recordings.

I thought it was the hard drive so I replaced it. An hour after I replaced the hard drive, I got another reboot and then several more after that.

I know from when I used to use the Tivo wireless adapters that Tivo can be very sensitive when it comes to networking issues. I switched to MoCa several months ago (via Actiontec routers running in bridge mode). I haven't had a problem but I decided to unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the Tivo and see if I still had the reboot problem. It's been over 24 hours and I haven't had a single reboot. Something is happening with the network adapter that Tivo doesn't like. I'm going to swap it out with a different one and see if that fixes the problem. The reboots occur even when I am not actively pulling anything from the internet (I use Standard menus). For those of you still suffering from reboots, you may want to consider your internet connection as a possible problem.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Quake97

It's probably more likely the network cable or perhaps the network hardware inside the TiVo.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I have been suffering from random reboots for several months. The Tivo became almost unusable because it would reboot 9-12 times per day and often cut off recordings.

I thought it was the hard drive so I replaced it. An hour after I replaced the hard drive, I got another reboot and then several more after that.

I know from when I used to use the Tivo wireless adapters that Tivo can be very sensitive when it comes to networking issues. I switched to MoCa several months ago (via Actiontec routers running in bridge mode). I haven't had a problem but I decided to unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the Tivo and see if I still had the reboot problem. It's been over 24 hours and I haven't had a single reboot. Something is happening with the network adapter that Tivo doesn't like. I'm going to swap it out with a different one and see if that fixes the problem. The reboots occur even when I am not actively pulling anything from the internet (I use Standard menus). For those of you still suffering from reboots, you may want to consider your internet connection as a possible problem.
Grounding problems can cause strange symptoms sometimes. If your network's ground level is different from that of the outlet where the TiVo is connected, I think that could cause various issues. It's probably a long shot, but I thought I'd mention it.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
rainbow

I have been experiencing reboot problems with my premiere,generally while trying to download program information. I have it set up to download right now through my phone. Over the weekend, it randomly rebooted about 6 times during the process and I am still trying to get the download completed.

Very frustrating.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote