TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #121
mulscully

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post

And was I missing something before, or did it seem there was an inordinate number of instances where the producers or crew or whatever were in the shot at the judges table? Do they wind up getting appearance fees at some point???

I think that's because they are airing more conversations between the judges that occur between the acts then they ever did and the crew is just getting caught in the shots...
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #122
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulscully View Post
I think that's because they are airing more conversations between the judges that occur between the acts then they ever did and the crew is just getting caught in the shots...
And as a result, we see fewer acts. I'd love to see an analysis of the number of acts shown per hour last season vs this season.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #123
pmyers

I'm not a big fan of the audiance audio clips, but I do like seeing the judges interactions and conversations.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #124
steve614
what ru lookin at?

During the band segment, Sharon mentioned that she doesn't "get" a band with just 2 people.

I guess she's never heard of The Ting Tings.

Not that I'm comparing the crappy duo to The Ting Tings...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #125
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614
During the band segment, Sharon mentioned that she doesn't "get" a band with just 2 people.

I guess she's never heard of The Ting Tings.

Not that I'm comparing the crappy duo to The Ting Tings...
The who whos??
Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #126
MarkofT

Or The White Stripes.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #127
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
There was the guy abusing his genitals, and his blurred underwear, but I don't know if that counts.
They have stuff flying into genitals practically every week on America's Funniest Home Videos. My kids are used to it.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #128
DeDondeEs

I hate admitting this, but I can't get that stupid "Whatcha Gonna Do?" song out of my head. Especially that Casio keyboard sound.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #129
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I hate admitting this, but I can't get that stupid "Whatcha Gonna Do?" song out of my head. Especially that Casio keyboard sound.
NOW its in MY head! lol
Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #130
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Shame on that kids mother. Don't blame Howard because your kid sucks and can't handle rejection. She put him in that position. If he isn't mature enough to handle it, don't let him compete.

Some parents really do need a clue...
Thank you.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
If you can't do that [buzz a child who's horrible], then don't be a judge.
Thank you.

It could not have been more apparent to me that this was a case of a mother putting her kid up to doing something he wasn't comfortable doing.

There's also no way a kid this age would pick the stage name "Money" and write rap lyrics that consisted of "commas and zeros, commas and zeros". This was his mom's doing.

Shame on her.

It's also horrible that Howard was shamed into voting "yes". It would be mean to the kid to make him perform again for nothing but his mother's ego. Sharon and Howie had it right. Both of them told Howard, "Oh, don't prolong the agony", or something similar when he voted "yes".

If I were the show's producer, I wouldn't even have put that kid on the air. Having the entire nation see him was 1) additional trauma for the kid and 2) still an undeserved stroke to ego of his clueless mother. Of course the producers wanted some awful acts on the early audition shows, but I'm sure there were plenty to choose from who were adults or adolescents that were worthy of our, and the judges, mockery, and could take it like an adult.

Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #131
dfergie

Quote:
NOW its in MY head! lol
I'm catching up and watched this last night, it is "catchy"
dfergie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #132
dfergie

Loved the Dogs on Mondays show...
dfergie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #133
pmyers

So everybody here thinks that was his mom they showed? I thought it was a man /shrug.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #134
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post
Loved the Dogs on Mondays show...
For you then!

click here to watch the video
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #135
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
So everybody here thinks that was his mom they showed? I thought it was a man /shrug.
I thought it was a guy too.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #136
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I thought it was a guy too.
Parent of indeterminate gender.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #137
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I think Howard referred to the parent as a mother on his radio show.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #138
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
Or The White Stripes.
or The Pet Shop Boys.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #139
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Tonight and tomorrow are the episodes in which I attended a tapping. I am guessing I will see myself tonight. I will be the one sitting right behind Howard Stern.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #140
markz
Hilarity Ensues

In Indiana, we won't get tonight's episode till like 2am, due to the Indy 500 Awards Banquet.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #141
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Tonight and tomorrow are the episodes in which I attended a tapping. I am guessing I will see myself tonight. I will be the one sitting right behind Howard Stern.
Looks like they changed things and the second show was st. Louis although episode info says otherwise. What they showed in Tampa didn't look that great.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #142
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfs View Post
Looks like they changed things and the second show was st. Louis although episode info says otherwise. What they showed in Tampa didn't look that great.
Tampa wasn't spectacular, but they had a lot more footage I thought was going to make it. Then again I believe Vegas has been filmed already so I am sure they are setting things up. From my show (and they did air last night) All That was one of the top acts. There were also a few singing acts that I thought were decent and I would give another shot.

Oh and I was shown on TV, you can see me as Howard left the table to help tie up the "escape artist". Howard also was HORRIBLE at that skill, but Nick Canon did have a great one liner which I was shocked </sarcasm> didn't make it to air.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #143
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

The last segment with the Rick James number and Nick and announcer guy dancing had me ROTFLMAO!
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #144
2004raptor

Saw part of it last night. I wonder how close the escape artist was to really getting chomped down on? The way they edited it it must have not been as close as they imply.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #145
busyba
The Funcooker

I think Little Ozzy would have also been a good Little Meat Loaf.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #146
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Saw part of it last night. I wonder how close the escape artist was to really getting chomped down on? The way they edited it it must have not been as close as they imply.
Notice how the rope was slack the whole time? It was obvious that it wasn't under tension, and wasn't what was holding the trap open.

The burning rope had nothing to do with the trap closing.

It looks to me like the actual mechanism that released the trap was his weight coming off the trap. So, the instant he frees himself and jumps down, the trap closes. So, no matter how long it takes him to free himself, the trap closes the instant he jumps down.

The rope has a deliberate "weak spot" under one of those marshmallow looking things that were along it, and it's actually the trap closing that breaks the rope, rather than the rope breaking that closes the trap. The rope was probably soaked in alcohol or lamp oil or similar flammable liquid, so the flammable liquid was being consumed, and the rope itself wasn't really burning that much. This way, the rope stays intact until the trap closing actually breaks it.

That's my assessment, anyway. He really did escape from the straight jacket, but he wasn't in any danger of being "chomped" if he didn't escape in a certain amount of time.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #147
2004raptor

I didn't notice the "slack" but I've deleted the episode now. If you're right and it was his weight that released the trap, why wouldn't they get it with one camera shot? That would look better but instead you could tell when the guy fell and then the next angle was the trap closing and the audience gasping wasn't one after another.

Not saying you are wrong just that they should have done a better job at convincing people a bit more that he was in danger.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #148
Fish Man
Phish Food

That his weight coming off the trap was the mechanism that released it is a guess on my part. There could have been some other means by which it was covertly released.

However, I'm 5000% positive that the release mechanism was not the rope burning through, primarily because the rope was distinctly slack through the entire stunt.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #149
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Burning rope is never the release mechanism. It's too unpredictable. If you see a burning rope, it's a gimmick. His weight being the release is also unlikely, for safety reasons.

Remember, "escape artist" is just a specialized form of stage magic. He's never in much danger. I won't say no danger, because obviously there is the chance for things to go wrong, there is a lot of skill involved, and he depends on actions and good sense of other people. But his chances of getting injured or killed are probably a lot lower than many of the acts we see on the show.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #150
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
That his weight coming off the trap was the mechanism that released it is a guess on my part. There could have been some other means by which it was covertly released.
It looks like he reaches up to where his feet are, presumably to release his feet from the device. At first, I thought he was stalling for time until the trap sprung, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is really pulling some lever that causes the trap to spring.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote