TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #91
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Even still, you dont buzz a 7 year old. Piers wouldnt even have done that.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #92
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Shame on that kids mother. Don't blame Howard because your kid sucks and can't handle rejection. She put him in that position. If he isn't mature enough to handle it, don't let him compete.

Some parents really do need a clue...
I don't think anyone blamed him or was mad at him, not even the mom. The whole thing looked like ok I'm big bad Howard going to comfort this crying kid, he looked so uncomfortable doing it.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #93
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Sharon buzzed him too. The kid was horrible. I couldn't understand a word he was saying.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #94
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Sharon buzzed him too. The kid was horrible. I couldn't understand a word he was saying.
I dont think Sharon would have been the first to pull the trigger tho. She only did it because Howard broke the ice.

I do agree he was horrible but they should have let him finish.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #95
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
I do agree he was horrible but they should have let him finish.
Howie didn't buzz him, so without three strikes, he's allowed to finish, from what I understand.

The act did end abruptly though. I don't know if it was a weird edit, or if the kid just bailed after the second buzz.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #96
pmyers

Quote:
Totally disagree. If you can't do that, then don't be a judge.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #97
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Howie didn't buzz him, so without three strikes, he's allowed to finish, from what I understand.

The act did end abruptly though. I don't know if it was a weird edit, or if the kid just bailed after the second buzz.
Acts are not supposed to stop unless they get 3 Xs. If they don't get 3 Xs the judges vote. After the kid left the stage the producers came out and told them that they had to vote to make it official. Howard voted yes and both Sharon and Howie voted no saying they didn't want to put the kid through having to inevitably disappointed again.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #98
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Piers HAS done that.

Quote:
"It makes no difference to me," muses Morgan. "That's not why I buzzed her. But at this stage of the game you have to be fair. That little girl is a talented gymnast, but, to me, it's not a semi-final act. It doesn't matter if Nick thinks I'm 'evil' -- it's just the truth."

Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #99
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Piers HAS done that.

Wasnt that girl actually pretty good?

That was one of the things I was refering to where they put the guy that stands on his head in a chair while the other guy plays the piano through but buzz this girl.

Last edited by KungFuCow : 05-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #100
inaka

That 7-year old rapper was horrible. Buzz away.

Howard was right to buzz him, but then totally pussed out when the producers asked Howard what his official vote was and he caved and said "yes". Wtf?
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #101
tiams

Quote:
Shame on that kids mother. Don't blame Howard because your kid sucks and can't handle rejection. She put him in that position. If he isn't mature enough to handle it, don't let him compete.

This mother calls her son "Money" and teaches him lyrics like "commas and Zeros" blah blah blah, so we know what kind of values she is teaching him.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #102
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Howard joining the show caused us to stop watching. I've been listening to Howard off and on for years. At his best he's really funny, so I'm a fan but not a die-hard by any means.

This, however, was one of the few shows that we watched as a family (with our 7-yr old twins) so adding Howard takes AGT out of the mix - at least for me it did. I decided to give it a test run and after the first 20 minutes or so, I knew there's no way I'd let the kids watch it. It's turned into a freak show with a lot of sex jokes. I have nothing against freak shows or sex jokes, but we'll have to find another show to watch with the kids.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #103
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
This mother calls her son "Money" and teaches him lyrics like "commas and Zeros" blah blah blah, so we know what kind of values she is teaching him.
He'll be an excellent CPA some day.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #104
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Howard joining the show caused us to stop watching. I've been listening to Howard off and on for years. At his best he's really funny, so I'm a fan but not a die-hard by any means.

This, however, was one of the few shows that we watched as a family (with our 7-yr old twins) so adding Howard takes AGT out of the mix - at least for me it did. I decided to give it a test run and after the first 20 minutes or so, I knew there's no way I'd let the kids watch it. It's turned into a freak show with a lot of sex jokes. I have nothing against freak shows or sex jokes, but we'll have to find another show to watch with the kids.
we must be watching different shows.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #105
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
We are now, anyway.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #106
pmyers

and to blame Howard for it becoming a "freak show" is unfair. He doesn't control what acts show up.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #107
fmowry

Quote:
Yeah the first two at least had barely any jokes aside from the guys small package and I'm not sure my 8 year old daughter is scarred for seeing it even though I don't think she really heard or cared what he said.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #108
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:

Quote:
I agree with pmyers. I totally missed the sex joke. I remember sex jokes and innuendo when David Hasslehoff was a judge. Remember the guy that sang the song to Hoff? Didn't he even ask for his underwear or something? How did your family like that episode?

I am not a Howard fan but have been impressed with him on this show. He seems to be a true fan of the show and has shown compassion on more than one occasion so far. He has hugged two contestants now that they have shown.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #109
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I agree with pmyers. I totally missed the sex joke. I remember sex jokes and innuendo when David Hasslehoff was a judge. Remember the guy that sang the song to Hoff? Didn't he even ask for his underwear or something? How did your family like that episode?

I am not a Howard fan but have been impressed with him on this show. He seems to be a true fan of the show and has shown compassion on more than one occasion so far. He has hugged two contestants now that they have shown.
We've only watched the past two seasons. I have no idea what went on prior to that. This isn't the sort of show I'd watch on my own - without my kids. They liked the little kids who sang, the dance groups, the motorcycle and BMX guys, etc. When I turned on this season, the first act was the magician/stripper/nipple ring guy and Howard was talking to him about his package. Just didn't seem like a road I want to go down with my kids. Again, I'm not easily offended and I watch plenty of raunchy stuff, but I have different standards for my kids. Howard changes the tone of the show, and to me this was a family oriented show so I don't see Howard and AGT as a great fit. Maybe it will be a huge hit because of all of the Stern fans that are watching, but that's a different audience.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #110
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
We've only watched the past two seasons. I have no idea what went on prior to that. This isn't the sort of show I'd watch on my own - without my kids. They liked the little kids who sang, the dance groups, the motorcycle and BMX guys, etc. When I turned on this season, the first act was the magician/stripper/nipple ring guy and Howard was talking to him about his package. Just didn't seem like a road I want to go down with my kids. Again, I'm not easily offended and I watch plenty of raunchy stuff, but I have different standards for my kids. Howard changes the tone of the show, and to me this was a family oriented show so I don't see Howard and AGT as a great fit. Maybe it will be a huge hit because of all of the Stern fans that are watching, but that's a different audience.
I don't fault you for not feeling this is a show for your family. However, it was that way before Howard got there. I think even Sharon has made her share of comments about shirtless men on here. I think Piers made comments about pole dancers too. I am sure there are other examples that I am not remembering.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #111
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I don't fault you for not feeling this is a show for your family. However, it was that way before Howard got there. I think even Sharon has made her share of comments about shirtless men on here. I think Piers made comments about pole dancers too. I am sure there are other examples that I am not remembering.
There were definitely moments in the past season or two that weren't ideal for watching with little kids. But probably 98% of it was OK and the kids loved most of the acts. Now, I'm not sure what the percentage is for this season, but I think it's lower and I had to draw the line somewhere. Where in the past the inappropriate stuff was mostly innuendo (which goes over the heads of little kids), Howard is more blunt. It just seems to me that the tone of the show changed, and I think that's to be expected with Howard.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #112
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
There were definitely moments in the past season or two that weren't ideal for watching with little kids. But probably 98% of it was OK and the kids loved most of the acts. Now, I'm not sure what the percentage is for this season, but I think it's lower and I had to draw the line somewhere. Where in the past the inappropriate stuff was mostly innuendo (which goes over the heads of little kids), Howard is more blunt. It just seems to me that the tone of the show changed, and I think that's to be expected with Howard.
You gleened all of that by watching 20 minutes? The act and joke you are referring to have been the only ones that I can think of in the 5 hours that have aired so far. I think you are looking for something that isn't there.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #113
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
You gleened all of that by watching 20 minutes? The act and joke you are referring to have been the only ones that I can think of in the 5 hours that have aired so far. I think you are looking for something that isn't there.
I don't know about "looking for something that isn't there" but that wasn't much of a first impression. And knowing a little about Howard, I wasn't exactly shocked.

If I have your word that it's squeaky clean after that point, maybe I'll let the kiddies watch.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #114
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
I have to agree with you, I haven't seen or heard any dick jokes or the usual sexual innuendo that are uncomfortable when sitting there with my daughters. I thought it was pretty clean so far.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #115
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
I have to agree with you, I haven't seen or heard any dick jokes or the usual sexual innuendo that are uncomfortable when sitting there with my daughters. I thought it was pretty clean so far.
There was the guy abusing his genitals, and his blurred underwear, but I don't know if that counts.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #116
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
There was the guy abusing his genitals, and his blurred underwear, but I don't know if that counts.
That is true, but again, has nothing to do with Howard.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #117
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
I wonder if it could be that the younger your children were, the more stuff went over their head, but as they get older, they can start to catch on more.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #118
tiams

Quote:
That is true, but again, has nothing to do with Howard.
You are right. I thought he wanted to know if the whole show was squeaky clean.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #119
mulscully

Quote:
And maybe your just more sensitive to them this season because of Howard's reputation. We have been watching from the early days with Regis. The show has always had the freak acts, and the odd stripping acts.
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #120
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimented View Post
I agree 100% and it was my exact thought when I saw it. It is completely the parents fault the kid was crying. You put on stage in front of millions of people knowing that a 7 year old is never going win this show and you get what you get.
I was of the same mind. When the kid is asked about the million and he says he would help his family, yes, that's so cute from a seven year old. Then you see the song he sang (thank you, closed captioning!) and how truly bad he was and his reaction at getting buzzed and all, and my thoughts go to, "I wonder how much he was lead to believe by his mom/family that this really was 'their shot' at 'making it'"?

Buzz away, Howard, you owe it to the people who really are good enough to spend time on.

And was I missing something before, or did it seem there was an inordinate number of instances where the producers or crew or whatever were in the shot at the judges table? Do they wind up getting appearance fees at some point???
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote