TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #61
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

I only have a problem with them putting stupid acts through when people who deserve to go through dont get put through. I havent seen this happen this year but there are a couple of people that should have been put through last season and instead they put through the guys that played the piano and stood on his head in a chair. WTF??!!
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #62
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Being a current and long time fan, I don't agree with your assesment. Howard loves outragous and unpredicible people. He may think she has no shot at winning but that doesn't mean he wouldn't want to see what she does next.
Well, we both can be right, but I'm a current and long time fan as well, but there really are two Howards. There's pre-Beth Howard and post-Beth Howard.

Howard used to make fun of Imus for getting divorced and marrying a hot blonde trophy wife. Then he did the same.

He used to make fun of radio guys that were a disservice to their audience by only doing shows 3 days a week. Then he did the same.

He used to make fun of knock-off radio DJs by name, including Bubba The Love Sponge specifically. Then he put him on his Sirius channel.

He used to make fun of celebrities all the time. Now we hear about him in LA at a star-studded Jimmy Kimmel party, etc.

He used to have bitter feuds with various celebrities. Now he tells stories of having dinner at Rosie O'Donnel's house.

So when I'm referring to Howard to telling that old granny that she would have had no talent and to get off the stage, I'm speaking more of the old "real" Howard I knew from the show. Not the updated "Rosie is Great" Howard that we now listen to....

Again, I still listen to Howard's show, because a watered down Howard on the radio is still much better than others at 100%. But even a watered down Howard to me on his radio show is more honest, sometimes painfully so, more than this AGT Howard.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #63
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I watched a bit of this over the week from my hotel room in Ohio. I thought Howard was kind of tame. Wasn't quite the "mean nasty judge" that I thought he was going to be.

But it's still Howard. And I like Howard (even if I don't listen to him since I don't have Sirius/XM)

BaBaBooey to you all!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #64
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I saw a commercial for the show last night. It said something about 21 million viewers blah, blah, blah. I remember someone mentioning the first Monday show got just over 10 million viewers. My first thought was that the Tuesday show must have really improved to get 21 million viewers. So, I look at the ratings thread in this forum and see again the show had just over 10 million.

Seems kinda lame that they say the show had 21 million viewers when it was really 10.x million views 2 days. I would assume the vast majority of Tuesday viewers also watched on Monday.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #65
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I saw a commercial for the show last night. It said something about 21 million viewers blah, blah, blah. I remember someone mentioning the first Monday show got just over 10 million viewers. My first thought was that the Tuesday show must have really improved to get 21 million viewers. So, I look at the ratings thread in this forum and see again the show had just over 10 million.

Seems kinda lame that they say the show had 21 million viewers when it was really 10.x million views 2 days. I would assume the vast majority of Tuesday viewers also watched on Monday.
Lots of networks pull this stunt. Discovery channel touted Gold Rush Alaska as having over 65 million viewers, which was the total over the course of an entire season. Other networks claim the show is a hit when it's bombing in the ratings or that its the #1 new comedy/drama when that isn't true either. It's marketing, they'll take whatever they can get and spin it to the best of their ability.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #66
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
BaBaBooey to you all!!
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #67
pmyers

ack ack!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #68
tiams

Didn't Howard Stern used to talk all kinds of sh&t about reality TV shows and the people who watch them? I seem to recall him touting the website votefortheworst.com in regard to Idol. AGT advances acts based on audience votes. If he in the past has told people to vote for the worst acts, isn't he a big ole hypocrite now?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #69
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Didn't Howard Stern used to talk all kinds of sh&t about reality TV shows and the people who watch them? I seem to recall him touting the website votefortheworst.com in regard to Idol. AGT advances acts based on audience votes. If he in the past has told people to vote for the worst acts, isn't he a big ole hypocrite now?
Umm Howard created reality TV, just ask him.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #70
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Howard's favorite shows have been reality shows for years. American Idol was probably his favorite show until Simon left. I'm assuming vote for the worst was for that Indian kid? He very much wanted people to vote for that guy. At the same time he was watching the show and a big fan.

He often talks about American Idol, The Voice, Dancing with the Stars, Bachelor, Bachlorette, etc... He hasn't talked about Idol or Dancing much this season as he's said the seasons have been weak.

It is pretty sickening as I watch none of those shows. Then the shows like Breaking Bad and such he doesn't watch. Although he seems to finally be catching up on these.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #71
tiams

The rap guy said he did it "100% off the top of my head" when Howie asked him if he pre-wrote it. I call B.S.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #72
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The rap guy said he did it "100% off the top of my head" when Howie asked him if he pre-wrote it. I call B.S.
Yeah. No way he didn't at least "think about it" before he came on the show. Especially the "AGT on NBC" part. The network probably loved that.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #73
busyba
The Funcooker

I'm just watching to see the fat pole dancer.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #74
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I'm just watching to see the fat pole dancer.
Really?!

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #75
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Really?!

busyba just wants to see Nick Cannon in a bikini top, not the poll dancer.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #76
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
busyba just wants to see Nick Cannon in a bikini top, not the poll dancer.
Yeah... I like to stay up late when Cinemax plays Drumline after dark...

Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #77
bruinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
For the Howard doubters, he mentioned on his show, if I'm not mistaken, that the performances as well as his own performance improved as things progressed and as he became more comfortable in his role as a judge.
he's also said that there were so many bad acts in the beginning, that they felt like they weren't going to be able to pass enough acts through to vegas. so they just passed some through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
ack ack!
tiggy tie tain
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #78
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Umm Howard created reality TV, just ask him.
I got a chuckle out of that!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #79
nyny523
Oy

That dog act was awesome! My favorite so far...I was cracking up and clapping at the same time!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #80
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
That dog act was awesome! My favorite so far...I was cracking up and clapping at the same time!!!
Are we talking about the little Bulldog with the flapping jaw? I was curious about that. Did the dog lose his real jaw somehow and the guy is just pulling a string of some kind to get his prosthetic to "flap"? Seems kind of mean...

ETA: er, Boston Terrier
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #81
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Dog had a regular jaw, I believe - the prosthetic was an add-on.

The dog act in your quote was on tonight (Monday) - the flipping/dancing act. It was very good for an animal act. I loved Sharon's exclamation "I want those dogs!!!". Cracked me up Howard explaining that's why you don't put through just any animal act.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #82
busyba
The Funcooker

OMG.... I can't believe they showed a dog tossing another dog's salad on prime time national television!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #83
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Dog had a regular jaw, I believe - the prosthetic was an add-on.

The dog act in your quote was on tonight (Monday) - the flipping/dancing act. It was very good for an animal act. I loved Sharon's exclamation "I want those dogs!!!". Cracked me up Howard explaining that's why you don't put through just any animal act.
Ah. That would explain it. It hasn't aired here yet.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #84
fmowry

Caught up with last weeks shows but did not watch last nights yet. I haven't been too impressed with many of the acts yet. Most seem like 1 trick ponies who won't have anything else after the tryouts. None of the dance crews are really great either. The problem is for singers we have AI and the Voice where there are a lot better singers and for dancers there is America's Best Dance Crew on MTV where all of this seasons teams are better than any who have been on AGT.

Hopefully we'll have better talent in weeks to come.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #85
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

If you search Youtube, you can find more videos of the dog act. They were amazing and it looks like they still have a couple of tricks up their sleeve.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #86
tiams

The guy who let his buddies and Nick hit him in the testicles - wow.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #87
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
The guy who let his buddies and Nick hit him in the testicles - wow.
I liked when Nick said he heard something pop after his last kick!

I was surprised Nick actually did it due to liability issues. I am sure there must be waivers signed on this show.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #88
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

The whole Howard comforting the 7 year old looked forced.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #89
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday
The whole Howard comforting the 7 year old looked forced.
Shame on that kids mother. Don't blame Howard because your kid sucks and can't handle rejection. She put him in that position. If he isn't mature enough to handle it, don't let him compete.

Some parents really do need a clue...
Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #90
dimented
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Shame on that kids mother. Don't blame Howard because your kid sucks and can't handle rejection. She put him in that position. If he isn't mature enough to handle it, don't let him compete.

Some parents really do need a clue...
I agree 100% and it was my exact thought when I saw it. It is completely the parents fault the kid was crying. You put on stage in front of millions of people knowing that a 7 year old is never going win this show and you get what you get.