Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #31
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
It will be interesting to hear what he has to say tomorrow.
Pretty much said that they were first in 18-49 year olds, but he wishes they were first overall. He says they will of course be first in 2 weeks when Dancing with the Stars is done. He also hopes that the show will gain audience as people hear about it.

NBC put the show on now instead of 2 weeks from now because they had nothing else to put on. It is sweeps and they need to put something on that will get ratings.

He definitely isn't talking about the show like he did yesterday. All they did yesterday was talk about the show. They also played audio from talk shows that were kind of reviewing the show. They aren't doing that today. Heck, he didn't even mention AGT this morning until like 30-40 minutes into the show it seemed.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #32
sieglinde

It sounds like Stern behaved himself so the prudes who wanted this boycotted before watching a single episode are made to look like the morons they actually are.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #33
markymark_ctown

watched the 1st episode last night with the kids. howard was about what i expected...entertaining, brash, funny.

never really watched the show much before, but will watch this summer to see howard.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #34
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That was a well made prosthetic on that bulldog. When the mouth started moving, I was like, WTF?

It took pausing on a close up of the dog for me to see it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #35
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Pretty much said that they were first in 18-49 year olds, but he wishes they were first overall. He says they will of course be first in 2 weeks when Dancing with the Stars is done. He also hopes that the show will gain audience as people hear about it.

NBC put the show on now instead of 2 weeks from now because they had nothing else to put on. It is sweeps and they need to put something on that will get ratings.

He definitely isn't talking about the show like he did yesterday. All they did yesterday was talk about the show. They also played audio from talk shows that were kind of reviewing the show. They aren't doing that today. Heck, he didn't even mention AGT this morning until like 30-40 minutes into the show it seemed.
It always appeared to me that Howard never brings up what he thinks people want to hear first thing. He had to know that we wanted to hear him review the show's ratings now that they are out, but instead went to the Scott comedy show garbage. Even after a long vacation when he comes back he seems to go into trivial junk, even if a friend of the show died or got into trouble while he was away. Just a quirk of his I noticed after all these years.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #36
ConstableClyde

Thought last night's episode was great.
ConstableClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
DeDondeEs

I think it's funny how every time a dance troupe comes out Howard says something about how he doesn't like the dance routines and he fast-forwards through them at home, but then says "You guys were great, I'm voting you through" he has done that like 5 times now.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #38
pmyers

That street dancer was amazing. It was like I was watching him float on air....although I actually liked the dancing part more than the contortionist part
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #39
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I think it's funny how every time a dance troupe comes out Howard says something about how he doesn't like the dance routines and he fast-forwards through them at home, but then says "You guys were great, I'm voting you through" he has done that like 5 times now.
He mentioned on his show that you don't see the other 200 that he buzzed after 3 seconds.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #40
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I never watched this show before and only watched because of Howard. Half the acts they sent on to Las Vegas I could give 2 spits about. I'll give it a couple more episode to see if I can get into it. I'm sure the auditions are similar to AI in that there are more absurd acts shown than actual talent.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #41
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
That street dancer was amazing. It was like I was watching him float on air....although I actually liked the dancing part more than the contortionist part
Agreed. His slow-motion floating portion of the act was amazing. I love to see that kind of stuff. The contortionist stuff, not so much.

As for the show overall, I really liked Howard as a judge, and I'm not the world's biggest fan (I don't dislike him either). I think I listened to him for a few months while in high school, but that's it. To me he didn't come off as overly harsh at all. In fact, I really enjoyed his seemingly genuine laughing and amazement at some of the acts.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #42
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I like the impressionist.

Not only did he nail the voices, it was very cool how he transformed his face.

A lot of acts use props to enhance the illusion, he just used his own face. I liked it.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #43
bruinfan

Quote:
i know that's been a thing with you, how howard's show is all agt all the time... personally i don't care as long as it's interesting. i'm sure it was similar when he was doing private parts. i don't know.. didn't listen then.

he's always said he's going to talk about what's going on in HIS life. and AGT is obviously the main thing in his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
It sounds like Stern behaved himself so the prudes who wanted this boycotted before watching a single episode are made to look like the morons they actually are.
this is typical thinking of people that don't understand howard stern.

he is a professional broadcaster. he understands the rules. he has never been censored on his many tv appearances. his FCC fines from the radio can be argued as part witch hunt, part undefined rules. he has a reputation for being a crude womanizer... and that is only partially deserved; in reality he is a sensible man who now understands his psychological shortcomings, raised 3 daughters that you never hear anything negative (or anything period) about... him succeeding on AGT is a nobrainer.. .he's an entertainer and has a knack for what makes good entertainment. he's not behaving himself to prove anyone wrong. he's just being himself, and thus people will be won over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
true... but the dance groups they've shown so far have been vegas worthy... each one unique in its own way. who knows how many were rejected cuz they were boring?
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #44
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

The dancer was awesome.. the dance crews, not so much.

I enjoyed last night's show. I dont think we've seen the season winner yet. I think we still have a couple more shows of auditions to see at least.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #45
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I never watched this show before and only watched because of Howard. Half the acts they sent on to Las Vegas I could give 2 spits about. I'll give it a couple more episode to see if I can get into it. I'm sure the auditions are similar to AI in that there are more absurd acts shown than actual talent.
The acts they vote through to Vegas initially as feel-good gestures, eventually will have to face the harsh reality that they are nowhere near good enough to become a $1m act. So tears of happiness today will be replaced soon enough with tears of rejection as the creme de la creme eventually rises to the top.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #46
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post

A lot of acts use props to enhance the illusion, he just used his own face. I liked it.
That guy was awesome. I agree with Howard that his material is lacking though. He really should pay a real comedian to write him some better material.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #47
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

I will admit that I was dead set about Stern being a judge and said I wouldn't watch this season. I decided to give it a chance, and thought he did a good job. he's definitely taken on the Piers Morgan role of calling out what he doesn't like and being brutal, but I don't see the nastiness I expected. The only time I saw a sign of it was when he said the stripper/magician had a small package.

One thing I noticed, more in the first episode than the second, is that the audience members he is drawing are more annoying than I've noticed before. It could be editing, but I don't remember seeing shots of overly annoying audience members. The ones that stick out in my and are the 2 teenage buys in the balcony, but I don't remember what they were saying. in that regard, I didn't think Stern pushed past Howie's mom, he kind of pushed her along to get her to exit quickly. As someone who is claustrophobic, I can tell you that panic can set in quickly when you feel like you're about to get stuck in an elevator.

On a different note regarding the audience, they seem to either be using parabolic mics to catch what some audience members are saying, or they're looping them. I definitely don't remember hearing audience comments before.

I agree, the contortionist/dancer at the end of last night's episode was amazing. I also described it as him floating across the stage. I kinds think he feet never touched the floor for a full 60 seconds
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #48
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
That guy was awesome. I agree with Howard that his material is lacking though. He really should pay a real comedian to write him some better material.
I don't know if Howard was spot-on about getting more "edgy" material, but he needs a cohesive routine. The "Here's guests at a party" is SUCH a cliche. He needs something where his celebrities interact with each other more.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #49
pmyers

I too noticed that they are mic'ing the audiance which they haven't done before. Not sure that I care for it.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #50
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
The ones that stick out in my and are the 2 teenage buys in the balcony, but I don't remember what they were saying.
I believe they said something like, "Do something Crazy. Do something crazy." when the snake/scorpion guy came out (who then proceeded to put the very large scorpion in his mouth ).
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #51
inaka

I've only watched an occasional show or two during the entire run of AGT. Never really was my kind of show. I did check it out this season for Howard, and the editing and mic'ing of the crowd definitely has a european feel to it. I know that's hard to explain, but to me it's similar to the way the US version of Candid Camera or Punk'd is waaaaay different than the european version of hidden camera show clips I see online.

I know the show was originally a British show brought to America, but the way they produce it is totally cheesy to me. The quick edits, slow motion, forced energy, tons of background music, and mic'ing of the crowd screams cheesy euro editing/production to me.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #52
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
That was a well made prosthetic on that bulldog. When the mouth started moving, I was like, WTF?

It took pausing on a close up of the dog for me to see it.
*ahem*... Boston Terrier. Fantastic pets. We lost Annie (on the right) a few weeks ago.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #53
getreal
postcrastinator

Sorry for your loss.

Quote:
I too noticed that they are mic'ing the audiance which they haven't done before. Not sure that I care for it.
I'm just glad that there are no streaming live tweets. I don't mind the audience mics.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #54
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I love Howard. Been listening to him for over 20 years. That being said, this is not the Howard I know and love. I watched the first two episodes (4 hours!) and not sure if I'll last the entire season.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #55
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I love Howard. Been listening to him for over 20 years. That being said, this is not the Howard I know and love. I watched the first two episodes (4 hours!) and not sure if I'll last the entire season.
Exactly.

When that grandma with the walker came on stage, Howard totally wussed out. The howard that I know from the radio show would have been an honest judge and said, "Look you old bag, there's no way you're going to win this thing, and you don't really have a 'talent' so that's a big NO from me. Now get off the stage!"
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #56
WhiskeyTango

For the Howard doubters, he mentioned on his show, if I'm not mistaken, that the performances as well as his own performance improved as things progressed and as he became more comfortable in his role as a judge.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #57
marksman
ID-10-T

Never watched Agt before this year. Watched to check out Howard, really have enjoyed it so far even as I have stopped watching almost all competition reality shows in the last couple years.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #58
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Exactly.

When that grandma with the walker came on stage, Howard totally wussed out. The howard that I know from the radio show would have been an honest judge and said, "Look you old bag, there's no way you're going to win this thing, and you don't really have a 'talent' so that's a big NO from me. Now get off the stage!"
Zagglee! (Grillo voice )

I know he's mellowed throughout the years. He's made up with his "enemies" (Rosie, Roseanne, Ellen). Maybe Jay Leno in the future (that would be surprising, never with Imus). But watching him give some acts a standing-o is just embarrassing, to me at least. But I know he's doing it 'cause he's ready for middle America to accept him. For that I can't blame him. But I'm not ready for this Howard.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #59
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post

I agree that his facial expressions were great and I could "see" the person.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #60
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Exactly.

Being a current and long time fan, I don't agree with your assesment. Howard loves outragous and unpredicible people. He may think she has no shot at winning but that doesn't mean he wouldn't want to see what she does next.