TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #391
Cainebj

I thought the Lisa Clark dancers were pretty great.
I dunno what Howie was goin on about especially if you compare that to the Big Barry debacle.

I also liked the husband wife aerial act.
The magician - just the single moment when I thought she fell (and got spiked)
Other than that.
Not so much - including Turf the highly over-rated contortionist dancer -
there are a hundred better than him over on So You Think You Can Dance.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #392
Jayjoans

Coincidentally, I had just seen "Magic's secrets revealed" just a couple of nights ago. The magician's illusion was painfully obvious and not even very well done. The masked magician on the secrets show did it much better. You could tell that the wife was continually concerned that her "apparatus" was going to pop out.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #393
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66 View Post
I about had it with Howard Stern. It seems to me that he thinks he is the lone star of the show and the audience is there because of him. He can go next year.
Funny, I was thinking that exact thing about Howie. To me he's the weak link now. I rarely agree with him and it wouldn't bother me a bit if he were replaced. I don't think he knows what he's talking about.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #394
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

I thought the commentary on the light show group was a bit odd. They just got done telling a story with their light show, and the judges' response was "Next time, tell a story." Huh?

There was a girl in her bed. She saw monsters' eyes all over the room and got frightened. One particularly big three-eyed monster was there, and he smiled at her with a goofy smile. So she let her guard down and came closer. They made a connection and he gave/drew her a gift box. When she opened the box, three balloons (which looked like his three eyes) came out, and a doll of him was inside. So instead of being afraid of this monster, she overcome her fear, gave him a chance, and made a friend.

It ain't Moby Dick or anything, but they did tell a story. The judges seemed to think it was just random images thrown together.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #395
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrilegium View Post
It ain't Moby Dick or anything, but they did tell a story. The judges seemed to think it was just random images thrown together.
I agree 100%. I understood it, not sure why they were confused.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #396
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I agree 100%. I understood it, not sure why they were confused.
Yeah that really made no sense. Though they did say to "use words" next time, so maybe when they said "tell a story" they really meant "tell".

I doubt the light act will be back though since they weren't nearly as good as the first two times.

That and the fact that the audience seems to vote based on what Howard says.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #397
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Didn't Sharon and/or Stern have to vote Big Barry through in order for him to appear in the quarterfinals? Mandel's vote alone couldn't do it, or am I misunderstanding something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
As others said it isn't just Howie who let Big Barry get this far. You can actually blame Stern as in Tampa Howie votes yes, Sharron no and Howard, who "X"ed Barry, had "a change of heart" and voted him through to Vegas.
Very good points. I hope Howie points that out if Big Barry advances tonight. Perhaps America did what Howard Stern used to suggest they do for American Idol and "vote for the worst"
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #398
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

I wonder if Turf will step it up in the finals and dislocate his hip or something.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #399
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Turf is the only choice I don't agree with. There are a couple of other acts I like better than him.

I'm surprised but happy that the comedian made it.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #400
bryhamm
randomize

Was too obvious that they were going to push the first 2 through, and thus it was also obvious that the next group was gonna get "no one" through.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #401
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Was too obvious that they were going to push the first 2 through, and thus it was also obvious that the next group was gonna get "no one" through.
+1

they do that at least once a season - hey producers
- we've watched your show - we know that one already.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #402
super dave
Upgrade Willy

I would take this as bad news:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/rati...-tied-for-low/

Quote:
America’s Got Talent (1.9/6) took a stumble and hit a season low Wednesday night. Last night’s Quarterfinals show was down 32% from a two-hour episode two weeks ago. NBC’s Talent wasn’t the only competition show to falter last night. Fox’s live two-hour So You Think You Can Dance (1.9/6) was down 10% from its last show two weeks ago. Over on CBS, it was the season finale of the first season of Dogs In The City (0.9/3 ) last night but that didn’t bring any big send-off. Tied for its lowest rating so far, the reality dog training series was flat with June 27. Fox won the night among adults 18-49 and in terms of overall viewership with an audience of 5.74 million.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #403
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
That's not good but I wouldn't read TOO much into it. Everything was down, and let's be honest, the talent isn't very good this year. Besides, it was just a results show. It's basically a waste of time when you can just read the next day to find out who went on. They are still doing pretty well on the performance nights. Last week's results show got a 2.3, this weeks was adjusted up to a 2.0. That 32% drop was from a performance show two weeks ago, so not nearly as drastic as they make it seem.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #404
GoHalos

Quote:
I about had it with Howard Stern. It seems to me that he thinks he is the lone star of the show and the audience is there because of him.
I agree. I said earlier in the season that I was enjoying his judging (he was seemingly authentically laughing and enjoying acts and was not trying too hard), but he has become way too overbearing and trying to control the show. I haven't enjoyed his act the last couple of weeks -- at all.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #405
macnutty

Man, I've had it with this show. Such god awful camera angles and over production. Most, if no all, of these acts are designed to be viewed from straight on. The stupid camera director has all these flying camera views and you miss half the act.

PS, the sound, in general sucks as well.

PSS, the talent this year is a joke compared to previous seasons.
macnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #406
DLL66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
I agree. I said earlier in the season that I was enjoying his judging (he was seemingly authentically laughing and enjoying acts and was not trying too hard), but he has become way too overbearing and trying to control the show. I haven't enjoyed his act the last couple of weeks -- at all.

There is Howard again thinking he IS America's Got Talent...unimpressed. Watching the first 10 minutes and wanting to mute each time Howard talks.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #407
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
There is Howard again thinking he IS America's Got Talent...unimpressed. Watching the first 10 minutes and wanting to mute each time Howard talks.
That is how I feel about all judge's comments at this point. They are not making the decisions now so their comments are pointless. I usually skip all judge comments. Same on result night, skip the long pauses and boring filler acts (excepts for the occasional good one).

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #408
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnutty View Post
Man, I've had it with this show. Such god awful camera angles and over production. Most, if no all, of these acts are designed to be viewed from straight on. The stupid camera director has all these flying camera views and you miss half the act.

PS, the sound, in general sucks as well.

PSS, the talent this year is a joke compared to previous seasons.
Every season I have made the same comment about camera angles. They are too bored to just shoot straight on so we miss the synchronization of the dance acts.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #409
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Didn't the juggler drop one? I was surprised that Howard didn't buzz him.

The guy on the rollers finally answered the question about what it looks like when it goes wrong. No way that kind of act can win anyway.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #410
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
There is Howard again thinking he IS America's Got Talent...unimpressed.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it turns out that another of the conditions Howard had for being on the show is some right to have, for lack of a better phrase for it, a "Howard's Got Talent" tour (or at least a show somewhere) featuring acts of his choice. Remember that the "Las Vegas Show" promised to the winner only lasts for three days, if they do what they did last year.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #411
tiams

This episode was soooo bad. The juggler dropped, the balancing guy fell, Inspire the Fire's singing and costumes were awful, there were mistakes made by All Wheel Sports, the guy singing and playing the piano was terrible sounding. But the worst of all was Wordspit. They were grating. Howard must have some sort of stake in Wordspit.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #412
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Didn't the juggler drop one? I was surprised that Howard didn't buzz him.

The guy on the rollers finally answered the question about what it looks like when it goes wrong. No way that kind of act can win anyway.
I sorta thought that he dropped it on purpose to build up the suspense for when he was juggling over the woman with "gasoline" on her. But probably not.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #413
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I like having Howard on the show, but I agree he's being overbearing lately. He started out better... He also needs to reel in the advice. He's overstepping there too, but then again, that's Howard Stern. Alpha Male extraordinaire. How much you wanna bet they end up canning Howie (which is fine with me) and replacing him with someone more suited to Howard. That'll last one season and then Sharon will quit (which I would care about)... I hope I'm wrong...
Old 07-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #414
pmyers

Britain's Got Talent? I guess not!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #415
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
But the worst of all was Wordspit. They were grating. Howard must have some sort of stake in Wordspit.
Thank you! I did not get the love for those guys. It sounded like a bunch of instruments all playing from slightly different points on the sheet music. There was no cohesive blend at all; it was a mess. It sounded like a garage band having a bad rehearsal.

This was a really weak bracket.

Next week's set of 12 is almost an all-star team. I can easily see a few acts losing out of that 12 that would have won against this week's set of 12.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #416
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Britain's Got Talent? I guess not!
That dancing dog was Britain's winner?? I'd hate to see the acts they cut.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #417
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
That dancing dog was Britain's winner?? I'd hate to see the acts they cut.
Ha! We were thinking the same thing. Either that, or dogs are a lot more popular in Britain than they are here.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #418
getreal
postcrastinator

What about Nick Cannon trying to interview the dog afterwards? He actually held the mic to the dog and waited for a response several times. I think the first time was just to be funny, but I kinda' think he expected the dog to answer on the second question.

Did I see correctly that the previews showed next week will be the Nutcracker moron? Did he actually make it to NewArk?

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #419
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Yeah nutcracker is next.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #420
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

The acts I think I would happy with going through from tonight are:

All That
Joe Castillo (Sand Artist)
Sebastien (Kid, I guess is ok)
Dittleman (even though he was sloppy with the act)
William Close (unique)
Unity in Motion
Eric and Olivia
Lindsey Norton
Olate Dogs

That is 9/12. Personally I am pulling for Lindsey as she is a local.

Tough week as I don't think any of these acts beside Olate Dogs are a for sure. Not many acts were better than another one, but there were only a few acts that were not worthy of moving on, Human Cannonball guy, Horse and Ulysses

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote