TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #361
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Just finished the results show and it was pretty bad, so this is the summer hit I have heard about? Nick has a hard time reading the prompter, 4 out of 12 acts and they need an hour, glad it was recorded and I could buzz through. I don't know how much longer I will watch it, maybe just to see the room harp dude.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #362
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
He shaved his stache/beard. In wide shots, he looked like he was 12.
Ah. That must have been it. That and the longer hair ain't workin' for him.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #363
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I also thought some acts were way over-produced. The background lights flashing behind the dance crew were overwhelming the actual act.
I've always had issue with the AGT producers over-producting acts and adding stupid stuff like dancing girls - but I completely agree with you - the group dance crew was almost lost in the background visuals that were going on behind them. They were totally upstaged.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #364
morac
Cat God

I hate how they have to zoom in on everyone's face before announcing the winner. They even zoomed in on the dogs, though I have to admit, I thought that was amusing.

As for the results, there were no surprises. Everyone I thought should go through, did.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #365
cmgal

Cirque de Soleil was amazing last night. The guy in white balancing on his hand and the other guy with the four standing on top of him. What strength!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #366
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgal View Post
Cirque de Soleil was amazing last night. The guy in white balancing on his hand ... What strength!
This. He made it look so effortless. I didn't see one muscle twitch.

I am content with America's decision on who went through, but not the judges pick.
I'd like to know if Edon actually got fourth place in the voting. If not, then I say the dog ventriloquist got robbed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #367
tiams

2 out of the 4 are singers. Ugh.
I don't think the father and daughter sing well at all.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #368
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Howie was defending his advocacy of Big Barry on the Jimmy Kimmel Show last week by comparing his act to William Hung on American Idol. Nobody remembers the winner(s) from most AIs, but if you watched AI, then you remember William Hung. Still, it's not fair to other eliminated contestants that Barry is taking up a spot which they are not.
I don't recall if I was watching Idol in the William Hung season, but aside from maybe showing up on the finale, he didn't get put through past the train wreck round, did he?

I like Howie, but as an AGT judge, he's losing me. I'm not amused by his support of obviously putrid acts, and to put them through to future rounds just takes away a slot from someone else (who admittedly would probably be eliminated at the next stage anyway, but jeez all Pete!). I was slightly amused sometimes when it got on Piers' nerves, but that ship has sailed.

And Howard's got to throttle back a bit on the "Here's what you should do" stuff. Telling the dog ventriolquist guy he should get a writer was good advice, but telling the dance group that 'that one' should do a solo, etc., is farther than I'd prefer to see that go.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #369
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard
I don't recall if I was watching Idol in the William Hung season, but aside from maybe showing up on the finale, he didn't get put through past the train wreck round, did he?
He never made it through the auditions. So if Big Barry is like William Hung, he should never have made it to Vegas, let alone to New York (Newark).

There's lots of acts who should have never made it through and have zero chance of winning, like Big Barry and Little Star, but that happens every year.

As for Howard, he shouldn't be telling people who to vote for. Actually he shouldn't be really saying much of anything at this point. Despite what he might think, the show isn't about him.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #370
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
As for Howard, he shouldn't be telling people who to vote for. Actually he shouldn't be really saying much of anything at this point. Despite what he might think, the show isn't about him.
Get off his stage!!
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #371
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Howard is this show's Simon now. He knows who signs the checks.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #372
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post

And Howard's got to throttle back a bit on the "Here's what you should do" stuff. Telling the dog ventriolquist guy he should get a writer was good advice, but telling the dance group that 'that one' should do a solo, etc., is farther than I'd prefer to see that go.
Also didn't like him saying they needed to make up a Cinderella story for the kid. Isn't that what the singing liar did; make up a story?

I didn't like him telling the one guy that his material needed to be raunchier. This is a family show, not the Howard Stern show.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #373
markymark_ctown

i never heard howard say the material had to be raunchy, just funny. i said he should have hired jackie the jokeman for jokes.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #374
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
i never heard howard say the material had to be raunchy, just funny. i said he should have hired jackie the jokeman for jokes.
He used the word raunchy.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #375
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
That was nothing compared to what Piers used to do - how many times did he tell a group, "The soloist is great, but the rest of the group is terrible - I'll vote 'yes' if the group is willing to withdraw and let the soloist go through alone; otherwise it's 'no'"?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #376
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
He used the word raunchy.
But he never said the material should be. He used raunchy in describing the movie Ted.

Quote:
“Let me add something constructive here. They’re right about the material, but everyone’s saying ‘get better material’. Let me take it a step further. What you need to do—you know we just saw the movie ‘Ted’ make millions at the box office. ‘Ted’ is like your dog, but ‘Ted’ is a little bit raunchy—a little bit naughty. Maybe the dogs really have to come out a little stronger. When you’re sitting home and writing material, think about—who’s a dog’s number one enemy right now? Mitt Romney. He tied a dog up to the roof of his car. Let the dogs get mad. Let them get angry. Let them go wild. You’ve got a good act. I sat at home and said ‘he’s got to bring another dog out’ and you did. I love that about you—clearer on the ventriloquism and more topical. Go with what’s in the newspaper and you’ll have a home run. You can step up the material.”

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #377
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Also didn't like him saying they needed to make up a Cinderella story for the kid. Isn't that what the singing liar did; make up a story?
You either aren't paying attention or have a rather obvious bias. He said she needed to have a story around her act, as in on stage. Tell a story with her performance rather than just doing a dance routine.

Quote:
This is a family show, not the Howard Stern show.
Yea, a 400 lb stripper and a guy getting kicked in the nuts are top notch family programming.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #378
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Stern
who’s a dog’s number one enemy right now? Mitt Romney. He tied a dog up to the roof of his car.
I forgot that he had said that. I was that he went there.

The really funny part about that is right after he says it, it looks like Sharon turns to Howie and asks him if that was true and Howie starts telling her the story. They cut away from the wide shot a little too quickly to tell for sure, but that's what it looked like. I found it funny that it seemed as if that was the first time she had heard about it.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #379
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Linda Stasi blasted Howard and the show in the Post, should make the radio interesting July 16th.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...dtq8aMOrWBChVN

Quote:
The minute it went live on Monday night, things went downhill. Producers shifted the focus from the showcasing of talent to the showcasing of over-blown stage sets that overwhelmed anything on them — while simultaneously promoting one self-aggrandizing judge to the detriment of the talent, the other judges and the show itself.

How did that work?

I’m glad you asked. “AGT” lost one million viewers in one night.

Last edited by super dave : 07-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.
super dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #380
blogan

Howard must not know that Obama ate dog.
blogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #381
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogan View Post
Howard must not know that Obama ate dog.
Either that or he actually knows all the details about that rather than just the soundbite that was issued to pander to the simpletons.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #382
blogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Either that or he actually knows all the details about that rather than just the soundbite that was issued to pander to the simpletons.
So he just got the simpleton Romney soundbite then?
blogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #383
busyba
The Funcooker

Ummm.... well played?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #384
tiams

Big Barry made me irrationally angry tonight. Angry at Howie, and angry at the producers. What a waste of a spot in the quarter finals. I almost wish America would vote to send him to the finals to punish Howie for being a horrible judge of talent and the producers for being stupid.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #385
morac
Cat God

Ugh what happened tonight? Most of the acts were downright boring or took a step backwards tonight. The only ones I found good were the acrobats, Tim Hockenberry (kind of reminds me a bit of Bruce Springsteen) and the comic Tom (started off slow, but got funny quickly). The archer is good, though his act is a little too slow and really as long as his equipment is calibrated correctly it's not really that dangerous, but he was still better than the other acts.

The magic act was okay, but I'm pretty sure I know how they did it (watch the woman's hands as she's being "removed from" the sword), Turf and the lion dancers did pretty much the same act (and Turf seemed cocky tonight). The Lisa Clark dance group was lame as was Aurora Light Painters. I didn't particularly like the girl singer or All Ways.

Finally Howard was right about Big Barry, Howie does owe the other acts an apology. Big Barry was a joke and Howie is a horrible judge.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #386
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
... Finally Howard was right about Big Barry, Howie does owe the other acts an apology. Big Barry was a joke and Howie is a horrible judge.
Didn't Sharon and/or Stern have to vote Big Barry through in order for him to appear in the quarterfinals? Mandel's vote alone couldn't do it, or am I misunderstanding something?

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #387
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

As others said it isn't just Howie who let Big Barry get this far. You can actually blame Stern as in Tampa Howie votes yes, Sharron no and Howard, who "X"ed Barry, had "a change of heart" and voted him through to Vegas.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #388
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal

Didn't Sharon and/or Stern have to vote Big Barry through in order for him to appear in the quarterfinals? Mandel's vote alone couldn't do it, or am I misunderstanding something?
Howard said Howie filibustered. My guess is Howie wouldn't agree to let through Howard and/or Sharon's picks unless Big Barry went through. The whole show is a joke to Howie. It always has been. Howie admitted Big Barry can't sing, so why put him through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen
As others said it isn't just Howie who let Big Barry get this far. You can actually blame Stern as in Tampa Howie votes yes, Sharron no and Howard, who "X"ed Barry, had "a change of heart" and voted him through to Vegas.
Big Barry might have gotten to Vegas with Howard's help, but it should have ended there. He should have been sent home immediately. From that point on, it was all Howie's fault he was put through.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #389
DLL66

I about had it with Howard Stern. It seems to me that he thinks he is the lone star of the show and the audience is there because of him. He can go next year.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #390
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
This was Big Barry's best performance so far. But that ain't saying much.

Howard really does need to share the blame for letting him through the first time. Maybe he'll remember next season that those decisions can have consequences. And what was his problem at the end? The audience was obviously disagreeing with him as much as Howie and Sharon.