TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #331
Fish Man
Phish Food

A couple of things:

I, like many others in this thread, are dumbfounded as to why Big Barry went through. (He should have gotten three "no's" at the original audition.)

It seems that Howie likes him and neither Sharon or Howard do. The only possible explanation is that the judges give themselves one unilateral pick each, Big Barry was Howie's, and Howie is so clueless as to what constitutes "talent" the he really shouldn't be a judge.

Now a more general observation:

I've said this before in this thread, and after watching the Vegas shows, my mind is not changed: Talent wise, this is the weakest season of AGT to date. By far.

In most previous seasons, there have been 3 or 4 acts, at least, that are so good I'm saying, "How are they ever going to choose a winner? They have several totally awesome acts!"

This season, it's the opposite: "How are they going to pick a winner? The best acts barely rate above a 'meh'!"

I may stop watching before the end of the season...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #332
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Speaking of, what's with the episode timing this season? They started early, but now it seems like they are rushing to get finished. They've never had 2.5 hour episodes before or 3 episodes per week.
Don't forget the two weeks off for the Olympics. The schedule probably goes like this:
7/2-3 - first 12 semi-finalists
7/9-10 - second 12
7/16-17 - third 12
7/23-24 - fourth 12
7/30-31 - pre-empted for the Olympics
8/6-7 - pre-empted for the Olympics
8/13-14 - YouTube's Got Talent
8/20-21 - wild cards
8/27-28 - first final group of 12
9/3-4 - second final group of 12
week of 9/10 - finals
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #333
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
That said, if I had a choice between seeing the last Idol winner in Vegas for a stage show, or seeing Barry, completely with flamingo dancers in the background and him singing cheese ball hits, I'd probably see Barry...while being drunk of course.
I'd rather watch flamenco dancers. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
... none of the singers stand out (aside from the Goth kid, but opera ain't my thing) ...
<snip>
...As for actually making a show out of a performance I'd give the nod to the older comedian, the mind reader, and the escape guy.
I am predicting that the Goth opera singer will be brought back in the Wild Cards and may go on to win the whole shebang. He should sing something from "Godspell" and call it "Gothspell".

Of course, who knows what we have in store from YouTube. Jackie Evancho was (and still is) a standout from YT.

Howie was defending his advocacy of Big Barry on the Jimmy Kimmel Show last week by comparing his act to William Hung on American Idol. Nobody remembers the winner(s) from most AIs, but if you watched AI, then you remember William Hung. Still, it's not fair to other eliminated contestants that Barry is taking up a spot which they are not.

But that's why they do the Wild Card show. It's all about ratings. If they have pre-determined the top 5 acts, everybody else is just a pawn in the ratings game ... disposable ... like the redshirts in Star Trek.

Maybe it's the editing, but the escape artist hasn't impressed me. The mind reader is good, but not great. And I would love to see a comedian win, but I need to see more. The longer routines in NY/NJ should be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by getreal : 07-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #334
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Howard: No, it's neither fun nor funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Barry is a train wreck, and one we all laugh at, so it breaks up the monotony of having let's say four American Idolish singers in a row. It's something different.
not fun. not funny.

don't laugh at him at all. waste of a spot.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #335
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
not fun. not funny.

don't laugh at him at all. waste of a spot.
I was like Sharon, I was covering my ears when he was singing. I pictured dogs howling in the background.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #336
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Howie was defending his advocacy of Big Barry on the Jimmy Kimmel Show last week by comparing his act to William Hung on American Idol. Nobody remembers the winner(s) from most AIs, but if you watched AI, then you remember William Hung.
Ugh, really? As bad as Hung was, at least he actually "sang" notes that were kinda close to being correct. Barry just caterwauls a single note (if you can even call it that).

Maybe if Barry had a comedy act that had bits and pieces of his crappy singing intertwined in it, that would be something almost worthwhile, but as it his, it's just irredeemably awful.

Barry isn't worthy to carry Hung's jock.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #337
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac

You might want to double check that you didn't accidentally cancel Tuesday's episode. Monday is 8:30 to 11 PM (EDT) and Tuesday is 9 to 10 PM (EDT).

Speaking of, what's with the episode timing this season? They started early, but now it seems like they are rushing to get finished. They've never had 2.5 hour episodes before or 3 episodes per week.
Okay odd, my S3 recorded "both" episodes, but my Premiere only recorded the 2.5 hour one. I checked my Premiere's recording history and it showed 2 episodes of AGT that didn't record because they weren't in the guide (one at 8:30 PM and one at 9 PM). My Premiere made a connection at 5:30 PM today and my S3 made a connection at 2:30 PM. So either the guide was updated during that time or this weird glitch only effects Series 3 units. It is very odd though that the same channel could be recorded at the same time or that the same show could be in the guide 2 different overlapping times on the same channel.

Oh and Rutgers cheerleaders sure have took a down turn since my college days.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #338
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
You might want to double check that you didn't accidentally cancel Tuesday's episode. Monday is 8:30 to 11 PM (EDT) and Tuesday is 9 to 10 PM (EDT).
Oh, I will. Did I mention I have OCD?

Quote:
Okay odd, my S3 recorded "both" episodes, but my Premiere only recorded the 2.5 hour one. I checked my Premiere's recording history and it showed 2 episodes of AGT that didn't record because they weren't in the guide (one at 8:30 PM and one at 9 PM). My Premiere made a connection at 5:30 PM today and my S3 made a connection at 2:30 PM. So either the guide was updated during that time or this weird glitch only effects Series 3 units. It is very odd though that the same channel could be recorded at the same time or that the same show could be in the guide 2 different overlapping times on the same channel.
I think the show was originally slated to run 2 hours, and the 30 minute recap at the beginning was added after the fact. The Tivo guide probably originally showed a 2 hour slot which resulted in the 1st scheduled recording. When the guide data changed to reflect the new 2.5 hour slot, the Tivo scheduled a new recording, but for some reason the original scheduled recording wasn't canceled.
Also, the Tivo has no problem recording the same channel on 2 tuners. IIRC when your Tivo reboots, all tuners will be on the same channel.

Back to show discussion (), Barry HAS to be this seasons "pity vote". Every season had one, why should this one be different?
But jeez, why did they have to pick one that is SO annoying?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #339
Cainebj

Did not like the new stage.

And when they kept saying "You're going to New York!!!"
I guess they actually meant New Jersey.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #340
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Did not like the new stage.

Speaking of the new stage...

I HATE the camera work on this show. I don't care about what the judges or audience are doing. If you expect the viewers to vote, just show the act on stage so we can form an educated opinion! Quit zooming the camera around the auditorium! We don't care about the building.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #341
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj
New Jersey frequently gets the short end of the stick. The Statue of Liberty is in NJ, but it's a symbol of NY. NY Giants and Jets play in NJ. If NY could some how claim Jersey Shore, they would.

To be fair, Boardwalk Empire is filmed in NY
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #342
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz

I HATE the camera work on this show. I don't care about what the judges or audience are doing. If you expect the viewers to vote, just show the act on stage so we can form an educated opinion! Quit zooming the camera around the auditorium! We don't care about the building.
This, definitely. The camera work completely ruined the painting act. It made it boring as the majority of what was shown was the guy simply painting and didn't show the rest of the group. on the flip side, for the Scott brothers, there was no reason to show an eagle eye view of the act for 10 seconds.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #343
paracelsus

Yeah, not a fan of the new stage either. I haven't gotten through all of Monday's show yet, but was frustrated trying to see the act through all the background visual noise from the stage - for example, couldn't see the first brass band's choreography and footwork because the background was so busy. Not sure how much input the acts have into how their performance gets staged for the camera.
paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #344
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Some of us are surprised they actually mention on the show that it is taking place in New Jersey, and not pretending that they're somewhere in New York. It wouldn't be the first time; during Season 4, the on-air portion of the Chicago auditions took place in Los Angeles without anybody mentioning anything other than a blurb in the closing credits.

Then again, it's a live show with an "active" crowd, so they probably figure that it would get out eventually that they were in New Jersey.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #345
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
No, they were saying "You're going to Newark!!!" It's a common mistake.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #346
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
If NY could some how claim carpetbomb the Jersey Shore, burn it to the ground and salt the earth so nothing could ever grow there again they would.
FYP

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #347
bryhamm
randomize

Thought the two dancing brothers were awesome last night.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #348
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I thought the acts were way over-produced -- too many lights, visual effects, etc,

Howard also got on my nerves last night. I was pleasantly surprised with him through the auditions, but last night, he seemed to think the show was all about him. I guess he couldn't keep his ego in check after all. Or maybe the audition edits were kind to him.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #349
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
I thought the acts were way over-produced -- too many lights, visual effects, etc,

Howard also got on my nerves last night. I was pleasantly surprised with him through the auditions, but last night, he seemed to think the show was all about him. I guess he couldn't keep his ego in check after all. Or maybe the audition edits were kind to him.
I also thought some acts were way over-produced. The background lights flashing behind the dance crew were overwhelming the actual act.
The guy who made musical instruments out of tools was screwed by the music they had blaring over him. What he does is impressive and unique, but he shouldn't have been expected to compete with pop music tracks.

Two facts: 1. That was a rude audience. 2. According to Sharon, the audience was filled with Howard Stern fans who were given tickets. Not saying the two facts are related.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #350
tiams

Whether or not an act advances out of this round of 48 is largely determined by what 11 other acts they have to compete against. It's not really fair that it is done this way. To be fair, all 48 acts should perform and be voted on at one time and the top 16 vote-getters move on from there. All groups are hoping they perform on the same night as Big Barry.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #351
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I also thought some acts were way over-produced. The background lights flashing behind the dance crew were overwhelming the actual act.
The guy who made musical instruments out of tools was screwed by the music they had blaring over him. What he does is impressive and unique, but he shouldn't have been expected to compete with pop music tracks.

Two facts: 1. That was a rude audience. 2. According to Sharon, the audience was filled with Howard Stern fans who were given tickets. Not saying the two facts are related.

I would.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #352
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
I would.

I second that emotion.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #353
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
It didn't help him any that the first instrument he played - a baseball bat? - sounded like an out-of-tune clarinet.

And was it just me, or did Nick Cannon look different in the episode?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #354
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Yes, he looked different. It's his hair. It has grown out.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #355
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
He shaved his stache/beard. In wide shots, he looked like he was 12.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #356
gschrock

Quote:
New Jersey frequently gets the short end of the stick. The Statue of Liberty is in NJ, but it's a symbol of NY.
Arguable. The island is in waters belonging to NJ, but the portions of the land above water is legally NY's. Needless to say, since this is the US, NJ tried to sue NY over ownership, but the courts didn't hear the case.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #357
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
He shaved his stache/beard. In wide shots, he looked like he was 12.
Plus his suit was shiny, light blue & ugly. Maybe he was going to prom after the show.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #358
inaka

This is my first time watching the live version of this show, and wow, it was bad. The acts seem boring live when not edited and overly post-produced. Also, Howard wasn't funny at all, he was dull. Yikes.

I swear, I'd take a faux cheesy show of Big Barry any day over some little kid dancing. Zzzzzzz
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #359
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Lil Starr is an embarrassment. Don't care that she's 6... just putrid.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #360
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odds Bodkins View Post
Lil Starr is an embarrassment. Don't care that she's 6... just putrid.
I agree, but blame her parents. To call her, "Lil Starr"? At least she'll be able to keep that name when, at 18, she transitions into porn.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote