TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #301
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow

Can you pick locks?

Thats a serious question and Im not trying to be a smart***.

At one point I was a lock picking enthusiast just as a hobby and because I thought it was cool to do. Picking Master Locks like that guy was using takes about 10 seconds. They arent difficult to open at all. In fact, of all the locks Ive ever successfully picked, they are by far the easiest. They may be tough under fire but they crumble when a pick is inserted.
No really, though I did technically pick a cheap one built into a cabinet at my office as the prior user left it locked when he left, but that was a poor lock as I opened it with a paper clip. Picking a real lock involves lining up all the pins in the lock. A good lock can't be picked in 5 seconds, even with lock picking tools, let alone a belt buckle. They may have been real locks, but they must be really cheap. I still think they are trick locks because his timing was too perfect.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #302
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
No really, though I did technically pick a cheap one built into a cabinet at my office as the prior user left it locked when he left, but that was a poor lock as I opened it with a paper clip. Picking a real lock involves lining up all the pins in the lock. A good lock can't be picked in 5 seconds, even with lock picking tools, let alone a belt buckle. They may have been real locks, but they must be really cheap. I still think they are trick locks because his timing was too perfect.
I agree with you on the possibility of being a trick locks, but even if they weren't, he didn't pick the top lock with his belt buckle. When you watch him working on the top lock, he covers it with his hand and the "drops" the lock pick kit. (I think he flicked it on the ground.) All he had to do at that point was wait out the time and pretend to be struggling.

One that acts that got little notice, but i was rooting for was the rifle drill team. Some of the members of that team are local to me and have performed at my church. I was dissappointed they did make it through. In fact, they barely got any screen time at all.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #303
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Ive picked Masterlocks hundreds of times. Theyre that easy and Im at best a novice at that kind of stuff. Anyone with experience can open a Masterlock in under 5 seconds with a pick or even a hairpin.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #304
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Ive picked Masterlocks hundreds of times. Theyre that easy and Im at best a novice at that kind of stuff. Anyone with experience can open a Masterlock in under 5 seconds with a pick or even a hairpin.
I'll second that. I took a lockpicking class a few years back, and those Masterlocks are very easy. In fact those are about the only ones I could pick everytime.

It is still interesting to watch though. I would need a lot of practicing to do something like that, if I could. I am betting that the plexiglass box had some sort of failsafe on it where if he really got in trouble he could just jump out for example that last lock hinge holding the top shut could have been attached loosely.

I am still trying to figure out mind reader guy. Could he be using some special pen that broadcasts the strokes back to him? I don't see how he could have looked at what she wrote on the paper itself.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #305
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I am still trying to figure out mind reader guy. Could he be using some special pen that broadcasts the strokes back to him? I don't see how he could have looked at what she wrote on the paper itself.
When she handed him the paper, he palmed it and gave a duplicate piece of paper back to her.

When he holds her hand, his other hand is in the perfect position so he can read the piece of paper now in his palm:

Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #306
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

What I wonder is, do they really see only the "first group" of acts and then decide which of them go home before seeing the "second group", or do they watch them all and then make the decisions?

I don't see how, for lack of a better way of describing him, "male soprano" didn't get through, yet somehow they know there will be performers in the next group who will be better than him.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #307
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The mind reader had to have read Sharon's paper when she handed it to him. That was the only reason there was for him to handle it. He may have switched the papers and palmed the one she wrote on. Notice she didn't open her paper and reveal what was written on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
When she handed him the paper, he palmed it and gave a duplicate piece of paper back to her.

When he holds her hand, his other hand is in the perfect position so he can read the piece of paper now in his palm:

That's what I already said above. Two things that give it away -1. Him having Sharon give him the paper. 2. Sharon never revealing what was written on her paper.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #308
tiams

Water escape guy - obviously the locks were never a real hindrance, whether they are fake or just easy to pick. It was still impressive that he could hold his breath that long and stay calm under pressure. I wondered how he was so completely aware of exactly how much time was left on the clock. He knew exactly when to "drop" the pick.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #309
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I think it is kind of mean spirited to bring acts to Vegas and then kick them out before they perform.

Why bother?
Why spend the money to transport and house them?
Why let them rehearse for a performance that isn't going to happen?
When they are doing the auditions I imagine they have to put through enough people to make sure they have enough once they are actually IN Vegas to work with. They have no idea when they are doing the early auditions how many they may send in the later rounds or how many that they send through may actually not be able to make it to Vegas for one reason or another - or whether they might discover issues with people that would require they dump them.

So what's worse - give people a free trip to Vegas and send them home without them performing, or calling them at home and saying, "Oh yeah, remember how we were going to bring you to Vegas? Never mind, we won't be putting you through anyway".

We don't know how long they were actually in Vegas before the judges told them to check the board and see if your going through or going straight home. And for any that went to the point of auditioning, etc., I doubt they'd be too upset over rehearsing - I would think they tend to do that a lot anyway.

And they do that every year, so anyone who follows the show at all will probably realize that.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #310
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
And TriBruin stole my thunder on the escape artist guy - he had already picked the last lock before 'fumbling' the pick away and going to the belt. All just a part of the performance and building tension.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #311
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post

But wasn't it a big piece of paper folded up? How did he figure out what was written on it while it was folded up?
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #312
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
We don't know how long they were actually in Vegas before the judges told them to check the board and see if your going through or going straight home. And for any that went to the point of auditioning, etc., I doubt they'd be too upset over rehearsing - I would think they tend to do that a lot anyway.

And they do that every year, so anyone who follows the show at all will probably realize that.
Not last year, IIRC - there were three groups; those put straight through to LA, those who performed in Vegas right away, and those who performed in Vegas later. They have sent people straight home from Vegas before - remember the year the contestants were taken from the airport to an aircraft hangar (or at least that's the way it was edited to look on TV)? - but I don't think it was a "regular thing."

Also remember that some of the acts that were not on "either list" were the acts put straight through to New York.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #313
markymark_ctown

Quote:

Also I'm willing to bet they moved the finals to New York as part of the deal to get Howard.
correct - howard will be doing his radio show while AGT runs so he needs(wants?) to remain in NY to be near home and the Hamptons.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #314
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
correct - howard will be doing his radio show while AGT runs so he needs(wants?) to remain in NY to be near home and the Hamptons.
He has said on the air many times that was his condition for taking the job since he is already under contract to do the radio program. Also it technically is being filmed in NJ not NY although they never admit it. Howard wasn't so happy about that. Although he said it only took him a half hour to get back yesterday (some prelim shooting for next week).

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #315
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Water escape guy - obviously the locks were never a real hindrance, whether they are fake or just easy to pick. It was still impressive that he could hold his breath that long and stay calm under pressure. I wondered how he was so completely aware of exactly how much time was left on the clock. He knew exactly when to "drop" the pick.
Practice.

Probably each step is broken down into segments, and he knows how long to spend on each step through practice, much like a comedian can probably get his timing down perfect for a set, etc.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #316
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Big Barry goes through? Really?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #317
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I was waiting for some comments on the Top 48...I cannot BELIEVE that Big Barry got through! I wonder if he was Howard's "put him through for me" pick?

He's this year's "Boy Shakira"

I thought they'd put the Goth kid through-heartbreaking. Yes, he forgot the words, but so did that one man who sang with his daughter and they put them through....

Mean trick Howard played on "Turf"-the look on his face when Howard revealed that it was a trick was priceless! A rare moment of "reality" on a reality show...

All Beef Patty is entertaining and I love her name but she won't go far. They could have put someone else in her place.

Others' thoughts?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #318
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Yeah, I don't get that one at all.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #319
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Im still floored they didnt even let the girl band perform. I thought they were pretty good.

Definitely no front runners this year.. no Michael Grimms or Landau Eugene Murphy's.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #320
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Definitely no front runners this year.. no Michael Grimms or Landau Eugene Murphy's.
Yet. Don't forget about YouTube's Got Talent.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #321
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

I'm surprised they didn't let the woman who hung her head on the ring go to NY (NJ).
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #322
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina
Mean trick Howard played on "Turf"-the look on his face when Howard revealed that it was a trick was priceless! A rare moment of "reality" on a reality show...
I thought they were going to tell the other dancer (the one from NJ/NY), that he's going to NY, to his home.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #323
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy
Yet. Don't forget about YouTube's Got Talent.
Yep. I have no doubt that another singer will win this year.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #324
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Will somebody please explain to me why the F Big Barry is going through????????????????????

Yeah, I know that with 48 acts there are a lot of them that are sure bets not to even get close to winning so there are going to be a few stinkers getting through, but that sack of no talent old man should not have even been in this round, let alone going through again.

I seriously thought Turf was Howard's 'please put this one through for me' pick, but if it was Big Barry then I've lost a lot of respect for Howard as an AGT judge.

OK, went back and looked again. The shot they showed of Howard asking for his one pick - the photo looked like a younger guy with dark hair. It didn't look like a guy with gray or white hair, and it didn't look like a white suit - which is all we've seen Big Barry in at this point.

Plus, the judges conversation after Barry's performance was
Howie: Can I just say something? I love him, I want America to see him.
Howard: I think he should open for you and America can go to one of your shows...
Sharon: Exactly
Howard: ...and see him.
Howie: It's funny. (to Howard) Will you admit it's funny?
Howard: No, it's neither fun nor funny.

Howie has been really annoying me with his pushing for really stupid acts. In prior seasons I chalked that up to him pushing Piers' buttons, but now I can find no other excuse for it than he's an idiot.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #325
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Will somebody please explain to me why the F Big Barry is going through????????????????????
Because much like The Apprentice or any other competition show, the show primarily cares about ratings and not who wins. Barry is a train wreck, and one we all laugh at, so it breaks up the monotony of having let's say four American Idolish singers in a row. It's something different.

That said, if I had a choice between seeing the last Idol winner in Vegas for a stage show, or seeing Barry, completely with flamingo dancers in the background and him singing cheese ball hits, I'd probably see Barry...while being drunk of course.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #326
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I saw Big Barry perform live... glad it was free.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #327
busyba
The Funcooker

When they would pull the fake out and make the winners think they were going home, that was okay, but I thought doing the fake out on the losers and make them think they were going on was a dick move.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #328
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Exclamation Alert

If you record AGT to watch later on your Tivo, check your To Do List for conflicts.
Because of my OCD, I was checking the guide for tomorrow night to make sure all of my SPs were going to be recorded and found that AGT was set to be recorded on both tuners.
One starting at 7:30 and the other starting at 8:00 (Central).
Guide data shows one program from 7:30-10:00

Wierd. I have never seen that before.
I would have been PO'd if I didn't check. Master Chef is lower on my SP priority.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 07-01-2012 at 11:35 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #329
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614
If you record AGT to watch later on your Tivo, check your To Do List for conflicts.
Because of my OCD, I was checking the guide for tomorrow night to make sure all of my SPs were going to be recorded and found that AGT was set to be recorded on both tuners.
One starting at 7:30 and the other starting at 8:00 (Central).
Guide data shows one program from 7:30-10:00

Wierd. I have never seen that before.
I would have been PO'd if I didn't check. Master Chef is lower on my SP priority.
You might want to double check that you didn't accidentally cancel Tuesday's episode. Monday is 8:30 to 11 PM (EDT) and Tuesday is 9 to 10 PM (EDT).

Speaking of, what's with the episode timing this season? They started early, but now it seems like they are rushing to get finished. They've never had 2.5 hour episodes before or 3 episodes per week.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #330
fmowry

Watched the last 3 this weekend with my kid and just wasn't gripped by any of the performances. I like the guy painting with sand and the dark room based performances were interesting but none of the singers stand out (aside from the Goth kid, but opera ain't my thing)

I like watching the dancers, I don't think any of them captivate me more than a minute.

Turf was crazy to watch with his contortions but I don't know if I was enjoying it as much as I was cringing at how he did some of the stuff.

787 Crew is the best of the dance teams but they were on America's Best Dance Crew on MTV last year and were eliminated mid-season.

As for actually making a show out of a performance I'd give the nod to the older comedian, the mind reader, and the escape guy.

Last edited by fmowry : 07-02-2012 at 11:00 AM.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote