TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #271
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
this is my first season watching (because of Howard) I don't think I've seen an act that could keep me entertained longer than 5 minutes. What kind of acts normally win this competition?
With the execption of Terry Fator (ventriloquist/singers)...its pretty much singers you've haven't heard from since.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #272
Jayjoans

The magic act with the yellow motorcycle appearing was so amazingly poorly done I thought it was a joke at first. The front tire is straight, yet the handlebars are turned all the way left. If you watch closely he opens the drapes too early and the model is still swinging the back half of the one dimensional motorcycle to meet with the one dimensional front half of the motorcycle with the messed up steering. Let alone the creepy ghetto eyeliner on the magician, this whole act was a miserable POS.

It's also completely lame to show the feet of the girls while they struggle to open the sides of the box and swing the "motorcycle" into place.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #273
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
this is my first season watching (because of Howard) I don't think I've seen an act that could keep me entertained longer than 5 minutes. What kind of acts normally win this competition?
Spoilered in case someone hasn't watched:

From Wikipedia:

Spoiler:
Season 1 11-year old singer Bianca Ryan, and the runners-up were clogging group All That, and musical group The Millers.

Season 2 Terry Fator, a ventriloquist who is also a singer, being named the winner, and singer Cas Haley as runner-up.

Season 3 Neal E. Boyd, an opera singer, was named the winner

Season 4 Kevin Skinner, an American country music singer, was named the season's winner.

Season 5 Michael Grimm, an American singer/songwriter, was named the winner.

Season 6 Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr., a Frank Sinatra style singer, was named the winner of season six. Dance group Silhouettes was runner-up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #274
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

And in season 5,
Spoiler:
young (to put it mildly - she was 10 at the time) classical singer Jackie Evancho (who won that year's "YouTube's Got Talent" popular vote) finished second

That Don Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #275
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
It's a pitty that this is the first season you've watched.

From a talent perspective, this is by far the lamest season so far.

I've watched every season except season 1. In every other season, there were several acts in the early audition process that made me say, "Wow, that's really something".

In this season. No such acts. None. The "best" acts this season are largely poor copies of some of the good acts from previous seasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #276
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
Good grief, you guys have short memories. There have been at least 2 threads linking to different sand drawing videos post hereon TCF.
I can't have a short memory on something I never saw in the first place
Never saw those threads, videos, etc.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #277
tiams

There has got to be some kind of trick involved with the crossbow guy shooting at the woman.

Horse has got to have some kind of medical problem. I wonder if he has ever had a doctor examine his testicles. Was he really towing with his scrotum?

I love the ventriloquist with the dog!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #278
morac
Cat God

As usual some of the judges favorites (the 5 year old rapper kid) shouldn't even be there, yet they sent home better acts. Another example is the human cannonball. They send him directly to the live show, but where can he go from his original act? I think he'll get eliminated early on in the audience voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams
There has got to be some kind of trick involved with the crossbow guy shooting at the woman.
I don't see why since the woman gives the guy aiming directions. As long as she is accurate and he doesn't move it's not that tricky.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #279
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I don't see why since the woman gives the guy aiming directions. As long as she is accurate and he doesn't move it's not that tricky.
And if he hits her, it's her fault because she is telling him where to aim! So he can live on guilt-free!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #280
Donbadabon
Geocacher

When I go to Vegas, I can either see the Blue Man Group, Penn & Teller, or a guy who gets kicked in the balls for an hour.

Yeah.

I don't get the entertainment value in him, at all.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #281
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
When I go to Vegas, I can either see the Blue Man Group, Penn & Teller, or a guy who gets kicked in the balls for an hour.

Yeah.

Maybe if the Blue Man Group kicked Penn & Teller in the balls for an hour! Now THERE's a show!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #282
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon

Yeah.

But that's the future of entertainment according to Idiocracy.

Ow my Balls! Idiocracy
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #283
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I fail to see the point in:
(a) "You're going to Vegas!"
(b) "Okay, we've had to shuffle a lot of plans around and use up some vacation time from work, but it's worth it - we're going to Vegas to perform on AGT!"
(c) "Welcome to Vegas - here's a plane ticket to send you back home; we sent through so many acts that we already know you won't make it through to the next round."

Also, isn't the next round after Vegas usually in LA somewhere? I thought I kept hearing people mention that they're being sent through to New York.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #284
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Quote:

It has to be a trick because if all is at it appears and he had ever missed and shot her she would be dead. I think the trick is that it is not actually deadly dangerous at all. The arrows are probably plastic and rubber tipped. The crossbow must have little actual force (he fakes making it look like it is a real effort to ****) and the backdrop that he shoots into is easily pierced styrofoam. If he missed and shot her in the face or head it might sting, but wouldn't do any real damage.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #285
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
It has to be a trick because if all is at it appears and he had ever missed and shot her she would be dead.
I don't think it's a "trick" at all. There is plenty of space between the balloon and the woman, and if you have some idea what you are doing, a crossbow is very accurate at "short" distance.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #286
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Man the singers were all having a hard time last night.

There were a couple I didn't think were that good the first time. Flo Jo's daughter was OK but not great. If it wasn't for the family connections I don't think she'd have been advanced in the first place.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #287
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I don't think it's a "trick" at all. There is plenty of space between the balloon and the woman, and if you have some idea what you are doing, a crossbow is very accurate at "short" distance.
Nobody can hit the target 100% of the time. And if he misses a woman is shot in the face.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #288
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
And if he misses a woman is shot in the face.
Only once though. Not 4 or 5 times.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #289
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Nobody can hit the target 100% of the time. And if he misses a woman is shot in the face.
The balloon is a good 2.5-3 feet above the woman. And you're assuming if he misses, he'll miss low and centered. The "rehearsal" footage they showed, he seemed to miss high.

All the woman has to do is make sure that the tip and tail of the arrow are lined up horizontally, and that the tip is above the tail vertically.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #290
fmowry

Plus he can always get another woman. It's not like he's getting hurt!
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #291
pmyers

Listened to Stern this morning and he had a AGT producer on the show...the producer did say that we will see/hear what happens to the LIAR guy.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #292
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post

Yeah.

That guy should be sacked.

You know what I mean ...

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #293
Cainebj

I think it is kind of mean spirited to bring acts to Vegas and then kick them out before they perform.

Why bother?
Why spend the money to transport and house them?
Why let them rehearse for a performance that isn't going to happen?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #294
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I think it is kind of mean spirited to bring acts to Vegas and then kick them out before they perform.

Why bother?
Why spend the money to transport and house them?
Why let them rehearse for a performance that isn't going to happen?
I agree. You could hear it in the voice of one guy (I think it was the bald guy that was part of the balancing on his head act) when he said he was disappointed because they had worked hard to prepare for Vegas.
GoHalos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #295
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos

I agree. You could hear it in the voice of one guy (I think it was the bald guy that was part of the balancing on his head act) when he said he was disappointed because they had worked hard to prepare for Vegas.
I agree as well especially since their act was better than some that went through.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #296
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Okay. I'll weigh in.

1. I think the Crossbow act is real (not a trick). He missed her by a good 3 feet. I actually think that trick is less dangerous than the one's where he's missing her face by a few inches. That would scare me more. From that distance, the girl would be able to clearly see if the arrow is pointing at her head...

2. I think it sucks that they brought those people all the way there and then sent them home, but it's far better than the alternative where they would have been kicked off in the first round. At least this way they get to say they made it to Vegas. No need to tell the rest...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #297
morac
Cat God

I can't figure out how the mentalist guy did his trick. The only things I can think of is he used trick paper (since he gave it to Sharon) or he has trick mirror glasses since he looked away, but could see behind him with trick glasses. He's good, but he won't win since his act won't work with Vegas size audiences.

The escape artist obviously had trick locks. There's no way to pick locks that easily, especially with a belt buckle. The whole thing was staged since instead of immediately going for the lock holding the lid shut and letting him breathe, he went for the other locks first. I'll give him this, he can hold his breathe a long time and puts on a show.

The other "magician" with the boxes was awful.

The impressionist blew it.

Also why do they let through kids at all? There's no kid that can win the million dollar prize. If Jackie Evancho couldn't win, no kid will. Yes I know a 13 year old won first season, but that was before people knew about the show so there wasn't that much competition. Also she vanished off the face of the Earth. In any case putting through 5 year olds to Vegas is insulting to the adult contestants who get cut.

Actually I can't figure out why people with no or little talent even audition. That a few of them made it to Vegas boggles the mind.

Also I'm willing to bet they moved the finals to New York as part of the deal to get Howard.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #298
tiams

The mind reader had to have read Sharon's paper when she handed it to him. That was the only reason there was for him to handle it. He may have switched the papers and palmed the one she wrote on. Notice she didn't open her paper and reveal what was written on it.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #299
tiams

They showed the liar guy when they were telling people whether they were going to NY. He got a no.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #300
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
The escape artist obviously had trick locks. There's no way to pick locks that easily, especially with a belt buckle. The whole thing was staged since instead of immediately going for the lock holding the lid shut and letting him breathe, he went for the other locks first. I'll give him this, he can hold his breathe a long time and puts on a show.
Can you pick locks?

Thats a serious question and Im not trying to be a smart***.

At one point I was a lock picking enthusiast just as a hobby and because I thought it was cool to do. Picking Master Locks like that guy was using takes about 10 seconds. They arent difficult to open at all. In fact, of all the locks Ive ever successfully picked, they are by far the easiest. They may be tough under fire but they crumble when a pick is inserted.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote