TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

American Idol "Top 3 performance show" 5/16/2012 *spoilers*

The Joshua love fest continues from the judges.. BARF!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I thought Jessica's rendition of the Aerosmith song was like bad karaoke, I didn't get the love for it.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
nyny523
Oy

I think Jessica is gone.

Phillip could end up taking this whole thing...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Sounds like I did not miss anything.

I hope you are wrong Ninny, on both predictions.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui

I don't think I will be, but you never know!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Even though I am done watching and I did not see any performance tonight can I still say I hope Joshua leaves?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Maui, me too. Joshua just doesn't sound that great to me. I guess I have nyny's Hollie syndrome but with Joshua.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post

Unfortunately, she is right. Jessica did not have a very good night. But really, neither did anybody else (although that was hard to tell from the idiotic judges and the audience reaction). Maybe Jessica squeeks into the final but only if there is backlash against Joshua. PP is a lock though. (I think Jessica is overthinking at this point - too much of listening to Jimmy and the judges and being overcoached and overanalyzed - she has lost her confidence i think)

Philip's second song (Disease by MB2020) was probably the best of the night, and yet that was the one the judges weren't impressed with. But they thought his show closing Bob Seger We've Got Tonight was his BEST PERFORMANCE EVER DAWG!!!!!! and yet it was a horrible song choice that he did not have the range for so he sanfg it safe and boring (it was picked for him by Iovine....PP would never have picked that song for himself)

And Joshua's final song still has my ears bleeding (and I actually usually like him more than most folks here....but this one was epically over the top screechfest). But the judges all came in their pants again (as did all the previously voted off contestants watching from the audience).

I am over it.
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Joshua screeches like a mad cat.
He seems like a nice guy though, and it was nice to see his friends, family, and all the locals going ape-sh*t over him.

Jessica's shaky vibrato is amateurish, distracting, and annoying. "I'll Be There" seems like the first age-appropriate song she's done.
The military support was nice, but it seems like in a big cosmopolitan city like Los Angeles, she isn't really a big deal. These hometown clips work better in small communities.

Phil has grown on me. As a pop singer, he stinks, but as a musician I appreciate his integrity and skill. Plus, he doesn't seem to give a rip about what anyone tells him. What I previously perceived to be arrogance may just be sanity in a sea of bland reality show dreck.

Phil is a poor fit for this show, and I hope he goes home tomorrow so he isn't forced to release one of those god awful prewritten Idol winner singles. He deserves better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
2004raptor

PP was the best of the night. His first and second song were great. His third, not so much. But listening back to it at the end it wasn't so bad. I think he started out pretty rough and he kept rubbing his hand (nervously?) on his "leather" pants. WHo talked him into that outfit? It was really distracting.

Jessica had some good moments but overall, not great. Joshua was horrible. My DVR ff'ed itself when he came on.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

I still like Joshua's singing a lot
I just wish he had more personality.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I still like Joshua's singing a lot
I just wish he had more personality.
I thought his personality showed when he went home especially when he was singing.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
I think Jessica is gone.

Phillip could end up taking this whole thing...
I pray you are wrong. I'd like Joshua to go home and then Jessica to win it all at this point. Or Phillip can go tonight and I'll be okay with that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
Philip's second song (Disease by MB2020) was probably the best of the night, and yet that was the one the judges weren't impressed with. But they thought his show closing Bob Seger We've Got Tonight was his BEST PERFORMANCE EVER DAWG!!!!!! and yet it was a horrible song choice that he did not have the range for so he sanfg it safe and boring (it was picked for him by Iovine....PP would never have picked that song for himself)
I couldn't agree with this more. I was all like when they were giving such grand praise on his last song. I swear I think they are doing reverse psychology on his fans with that because it was one of my least favorite performances he's done to date. I was just waiting on them to rake him over the coals. Volcano is still his best to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Phil is a poor fit for this show, and I hope he goes home tomorrow so he isn't forced to release one of those god awful prewritten Idol winner singles. He deserves better.
This.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
mostman

Honestly. Joshua is good. You might not like him or his style - but the dude can sing. In today's overproduced world, he is a stand out. Phil I would also listen to and perhaps even buy a few tracks. Jessica. Oh Jessica. No thanks. You need to learn a lot. For example, we don't sing that Aerosmith song with a damn smile on our face the whole time. Please try to learn what these songs are actually about instead of acting like you are in a pageant.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
Honestly. Joshua is good. You might not like him or his style - but the dude can sing. In today's overproduced world, he is a stand out. Phil I would also listen to and perhaps even buy a few tracks. Jessica. Oh Jessica. No thanks. You need to learn a lot. For example, we don't sing that Aerosmith song with a damn smile on our face the whole time. Please try to learn what these songs are actually about instead of acting like you are in a pageant.
I'm surprised Steven was so nice to her about that horrible performance.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
I'm surprised Steven was so nice to her about that horrible performance.
I thought her Mariah Carey song was much worse. All those low notes were.not.good. I was cringing a bit as she tried to get through it. Her Aerosmith song wasn't great but it wasn't anywhere near the disaster that Mariah song was IMO.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
tiams

I enjoy Joshua. Since Skylar is gone, he is the only one left that entertains me.

I think Jessica goes tonight. She doesn't have the wild, manic support of a small hometown. I live in Scotty McCreery's hometown. This whole town was staying up late voting for him every week. The town put on viewing parties at his high school every Wednesday night. Now people turn out in droves to watch him pitch on his high school baseball team.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
Fahtrim

Joshua just screams in his "singing", pretty much every song, hate that and I personally don't like the gospel type "take me to church" crap. He's not it for me.

Jessica is 16 and obviously sheltered homeschooled etc, nothing against that or her personally, I just don't connect to her singing. She also had her worst night every last night for the first time being out of tune and vocally off. She's not it either.

Phil has had the performances that just pop into my head during the week and he brings a smile to my face when he performs, fun to watch and distinctive.

Out of the 3 left, for me for me, Phil is the clear favorite.

You of course are welcome to have your own opinions, but my mind is made up.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I know I'm not alone in saying that this is the first season that I really don't care who wins. I did appreciate the J's talent last night (mostly) and I thought PP was awesome. BUT...I said before the judges' comments that I felt the last song lacked connection - then they raved over it!

I give up trying to predict. I'll just be glad when this season's over and PP's album comes out.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #20
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I'll just be glad when this season's over and PP's album comes out.
Word.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
Honestly. Joshua is good. You might not like him or his style - but the dude can sing. In today's overproduced world, he is a stand out.
+1000

American Idol fans seem to fall into the "it's a style of music/singing I don't like, so it must be crap" trap more than anyone else that I've ever seen. I don't understand how people can't see that there is talent there, even if you don't particularly like his genre or style of singing. I pretty much hate country music, for example, but I can recognize that there are some exceptionally talented people in that genre. Still doesn't mean I'll listen to them, though.
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Joshua was horrible. My DVR ff'ed itself when he came on.
You didn't watch his performances, yet you can critique them as horrible?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
tiams

I would pay to see Joshua perform live. I would never pay to watch PP sit on a stool and play guitar.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Word.
Excel.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #25
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I would pay to see Joshua perform live. I would never pay to watch PP sit on a stool and play guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
Excel.
Powerpoint.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Visio!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #27
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
OpenOffice.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
OpenOffice.
You haven't switched to LibreOffice? (LibreOffice is "what OpenOffice was intended to be before Oracle got its hands on it".)

Question: how often does the third-place contestant get an album released any time near when the top two do? I know that everybody has a "no compete" clause that lasts until 90 days after the final (August 22, in this case).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #29
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Wow, it's kind of hard to read these messages and not want to watch the episode to see what people are talking about. I do have a question...

How many Standing ovations did Joshua get last night?

My observations on the remaining contestants and their potential post-idol success.

1. Jessica - I think she has the most potential to be a commerical success but to get there she would need a really good mentor and some songs. Even though she has some issues from time to time I still consider her to be the most talented vocalist. That talent is just very raw at this stage and needs to refined. She could be molded into a top 40 type of vocalist.

2. Phillip - Definitely a niche type performer which is not aknock or a bad thing. The question I have though is whether he could distinquish himself and prove that he is not just a Dave Matthews wannabe. He definitely has the least versatile voice with minimal range.

3. Joshua - Whether you believe he is awesome or whether you think he screams to much I just don't see where he fits on the contemporary musical landscape. Honestly, if he wins I see him becoming another to add to the list of mostly forgettable winners who will be outshined by the runner-ups.

Honestly, if somebody gives Skylar some good contry/rock songs and decent producer I still think she may actually be the most commercially viable of the bunch.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #30
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
I thought Jessica's rendition of the Aerosmith song was like bad karaoke, I didn't get the love for it.
I didn't think it was all that great either.

I also though that Imagine was too theatrical for my tastes.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote