TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Deception with Keith Barry (spoilers)

Anyone watch this? I've never been one to put much stock in hypnosis, but it was a pretty interesting show.

The kid that he turned into a sleeper agent was pretty freaked out by what he had done.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Anyone watch this? I've never been one to put much stock in hypnosis, but it was a pretty interesting show.

The kid that he turned into a sleeper agent was pretty freaked out by what he had done.
I loved it!

It was much better than Cats.

I am going to watch it again and again.

(Actually, I hadn't heard about this but I'm going to set a season pass - sounds interesting. I like this type of show. Did you watch Mind Control with Derren Brown when it was on the air? There were only a few episodes. All are available via Amazon. Worth watching if you like this type of thing).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 06-01-2011 at 12:40 PM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Haven't seen Derren Brown but I'll check it out.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Haven't seen Derren Brown but I'll check it out.
It looks like at least one full episode made its way to Google Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9641861799839#

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just got done watching this. It was freaky. The sleeper guy reminded me of my brother under the influence of Ambien. He was just as freaked out when I showed him video of stuff he did and didn't remember at all. I think it was WAY more intense to see it.

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeanMeScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
He was very careful in who he got for the safe cracker one. As he showed later in the show, not everyone can be hypnotised. I doubt that I could be. I'm an introvert. They tried it on my father and he couldn't be put under.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMeScot View Post
He was very careful in who he got for the safe cracker one. As he showed later in the show, not everyone can be hypnotised.
As I watched it, I assumed that the safe crackers, the people on the street, and the sleeper agent were all pre-screened as being hypnotisable.

I don't have a problem with that (as long as they're not acting), unlike some of the fake crap that David Blaine did (like staged camera shots edited in later).

Old 06-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
As I watched it, I assumed that the safe crackers, the people on the street, and the sleeper agent were all pre-screened as being hypnotisable.

I don't have a problem with that (as long as they're not acting), unlike some of the fake crap that David Blaine did (like staged camera shots edited in later).
I agree. Although I am not sure anyone but him did the prescreening of the on the street people. It seemed like he was grabbing people who were very proccupied. They had a kind of blank stare going on as they were walking. That probably indicates they are in a state that is already more receptive to what he was doing.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I imagine he also had more safecrackers who he could not hypnotize, as well as some people on the street it didn't work on. Just edit them out and its no big deal.

I will definitely watch again though. It was entertaining.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
I imagine he also had more safecrackers who he could not hypnotize, as well as some people on the street it didn't work on. Just edit them out and its no big deal.

I will definitely watch again though. It was entertaining.
That's what I figure as well. I'm sure he didn't have a 100% success rate. They just didn't show those. It's still impressive, though.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Anyone watch the new episode, Cops and Robbers? I was totally aware of what he had done when he was working with the sketch artist. That was pretty neat.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMeScot
Anyone watch the new episode, Cops and Robbers? I was totally aware of what he had done when he was working with the sketch artist. That was pretty neat.
I saw it, and was very impressed. I caught him touching his face when mentioning "distinguishing features" but I didn't pick up on the other cues.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Just watched the cop one. I noticed how he subtly gestured where to shoot the bullets and how the sniper hit them just in the right spots. Crazy.

I also wonder how he got the women to come up with the date, time, and weapon for that crime.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
tiams

I wonder how he knew which cop was holding which weapon behind his back.

I missed the first episode because I didn't know about this show, and I can't find it online.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

He explained how we determined how he knew which cop had which weapon. I wish half of them had weapons, and half did not. Could he determine which ones had them and which ones did not?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
What about the dating episode? The watch and the experiments with the clueless guys was good.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Interesting, but unless I actually experience something like this myself I'll always remain skeptical. Seeing it on TV doesn't sway my opinion at all, any more than seeing Criss Angel walk on water makes me believe he's really doing it.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Why do you doubt it? I like how he explains some of them. It definitely validates how accurate (with some liberty) Lie to Me was with the watching of eye movement and body language. In the dating episode he even showed how he could get people off the street to do it.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #19
inaka

I think a LOT of it is that they take about 20 takes with different people and then show the ones that work.

The used car one had a total b.s. thing to me that had more to do with David Copperfield than it did "mentalism" of any kind. The part I found incredibly fishy was at the very very end when he memorized the info (VIN#, license plate, odometer, etc.) for all of the cars of the lot. That memorization part was impressive and seemed totally real to me. However, he then finished it off with a piece of paper that had a number on it that totaled the millage of the three cars randomly selected by the sales person. The only way to me that that is possible is if he did some magician slight-of-hand with the paper (a.k.a not "mentalism") or if he had a number written down and then would counter produce ANY equation that would for those three cars after the fact (for example, the milage of one, the numbers of all the plates of another, etc. ANYTHING that would lead to that pre-written number in the envelope. BUT, the equation was so perfect (milage of all three "randomly" selected cars) that I doubt buy it at all.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
inaka

Saw the hypnosis episode, and sorry, this one had some interesting info, but some really outright fake parts. The "instant" hypnosis on the street had to be totally fake to make. No way. Even the people who were chosen looked like they were bad actors before he even put them under.

Something smells fishy about this entire show to me...
Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Something smells fishy about this entire show to me...
I keep coming back to the title of the show. Maybe it is we who are being deceived...

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

It's entertainment, not news. I don't believe it for the same reason I'm an atheist - I'm skeptical of things that seem unreal and are presented without evidence. It's just in my nature. And I certainly don't believe unusual things just because I'm told it's true.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #23
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I keep coming back to the title of the show. Maybe it is we who are being deceived...
Yup. Good point.

I now think it's mostly totally fake/staged, with just a hint of truth to keep people from flipping the channel.

The street hypnosis stuff was so fake and soooooo poorly staged that I'm surprised they even broadcast it without saying "dramatization" onscreen.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #24
inaka

Quote:

So I got around to watching Hell's Kitchen on Tivo from Monday. There was a segment at the start where they made the contestants shave their heads, one man and one woman. It turned out to be a joke, where they had to planted actors appear as contestants to have them actually shave their heads and scare the real contestants, but right away I recognized the guy who shaved his head...

He was the guy who appeared on this supposedly "real" show on Discovery, Deception with Keith Berry!! He was the sleeper agent kid in that long segment where Keith Berry supposedly put him under hypnosis and hacked into mind, making him perform a faux assassination (by poisoning someone) all while being hypnotized.

On Hell's Kitchen they said it was the sous chef's "friend" but it's pretty clear he was an actor. Here's a screen pic from Hell's Kitchen on Monday:

It's our buddy the "sleeper agent"!

Pretty clear that this show was a total con job on the audience. I don't usually expect reality to be "real" but wow, that's pretty bad when Discovery channel does it.

P.S. I hate having the ability to instantly recognize faces sometimes...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #25
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
So I got around to watching Hell's Kitchen on Tivo from Monday. There was a segment at the start where they made the contestants shave their heads, one man and one woman. It turned out to be a joke, where they had to planted actors appear as contestants to have them actually shave their heads and scare the real contestants, but right away I recognized the guy who shaved his head...

He was the guy who appeared on this supposedly "real" show on Discovery, Deception with Keith Berry!! He was the sleeper agent kid in that long segment where Keith Berry supposedly put him under hypnosis and hacked into mind, making him perform a faux assassination (by poisoning someone) all while being hypnotized.

On Hell's Kitchen they said it was the sous chef's "friend" but it's pretty clear he was an actor. Here's a screen pic from Hell's Kitchen on Monday:

It's our buddy the "sleeper agent"!

Pretty clear that this show was a total con job on the audience. I don't usually expect reality to be "real" but wow, that's pretty bad when Discovery channel does it.

P.S. I hate having the ability to instantly recognize faces sometimes...
Very interesting!!! I have been interested in Derren Brown, Keith Barry and NLPers. I have always been skeptical.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote