TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

You are President of NBC - How would you fix the network?

You are given 2 years to turn NBC around, and a budget equivalent to what the other networks heads of programming have. How would you fix NBC?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
zalusky

I could say give it back to KRON but only a few would get it!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
JYoung
Series 3

Invest it in a time machine to go back in time and prevent the whole Jay Leno Show debacle.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Church AV Guy

I'd be sorely tempted to let the programmers at the NBC Universal property, the USA network (characters welcome()) have a crack at it. They seem to have come up with a lot of quite popular original programming. I watch a lot more of USAs original programming than NBCs programming.

Yeah, the Leno "experiment" was a real failure for them. I wonder how long it will take before they recover from that, using your word, debacle?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Acquire the rights to Firefly and air it 5 nights a week instead of Jay Leno.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
mm2margaret
Meagan

I have to agree with one of the previous posters about USA; they seem to do a better job of programming than NBC does. Let the USA programmers run things. How could they do a worse?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

The quality of the USA shows have gone waaaay downhill.
2 R10's- GONE
2 COMCAST HD TiVo DVR's. SofaKing slow.
Snappa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
billypritchard
Embiggener

ABC was practically dead when Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomoy premiered in what, 2004? So I think you just have to hit the show lottery.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
ABC was practically dead when Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomoy premiered in what, 2004? So I think you just have to hit the show lottery.
They also had this little show called Lost that premiered that year too.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
ADG
Allan

First thing I'd do is fire Ann Curry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
ElJay

Pay myself a $50mm bonus, liquidate it, and then retire.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
WhiskeyTango

I've thought about posting this exact question and here's my solution.

1.) Get rid of the crap. They have way too many underperforming shows that they keep bringing back. New fare really couldn't do much worse. I know there are risks and limitations to the number of new shows that can be picked up each year but, at this point, they just have to rip off the bandaid and go for it. Pretty much anything below a 2.0 in the ratings needs to go.

2.) Get rid of the incestuous relationships at the network. They have shows that are failing and are using the same writers/producers/actors to come up with new shows for next season. They also don't seem to have any talent pool other than ex-SNL members.

3.) They need better people in the department that chooses what shows to pick up. They actually passed on The Walking Dead. If the ratings on NBC were anything close to what they are on AMC, it would easily be the highest rated show on the network.

4.) Get rid of the single camera "smart" comedies. Their Thursday night lineup thinks too much of itself and it isn't working for the general public. They have to go a little more main stream with the comedies. They tried with Whitney and Chelsea and this goes back to point 3, better talent scouts.

5.) Less news and reality shows filling big blocks of the schedule and more/better dramas. The only dramas they have are Grimm, Parenthood, L&O: SVU, Harry's Law, and The Firm (Saturday). OTOH there is Celeb Apprentice (2 hours), Biggest Loser (2 hours), Dateline, Fear Factor, The Voice (2 hours), Who Do You Think You Are?, Who's Still Standing?, and Rock Center.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Aniketos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post

1.) Get rid of the crap. They have way too many underperforming shows that they keep bringing back. New fare really couldn't do much worse. I know there are risks and limitations to the number of new shows that can be picked up each year but, at this point, they just have to rip off the bandaid and go for it. Pretty much anything below a 2.0 in the ratings needs to go.

2.) Get rid of the incestuous relationships at the network. They have shows that are failing and are using the same writers/producers/actors to come up with new shows for next season. They also don't seem to have any talent pool other than ex-SNL members.

3.) They need better people in the department that chooses what shows to pick up. They actually passed on The Walking Dead. If the ratings on NBC were anything close to what they are on AMC, it would easily be the highest rated show on the network.

4.) Get rid of the single camera "smart" comedies. Their Thursday night lineup thinks too much of itself and it isn't working for the general public. They have to go a little more main stream with the comedies. They tried with Whitney and Chelsea and this goes back to point 3, better talent scouts.

5.) Less news and reality shows filling big blocks of the schedule and more/better dramas. The only dramas they have are Grimm, Parenthood, L&O: SVU, Harry's Law, and The Firm (Saturday). OTOH there is Celeb Apprentice (2 hours), Biggest Loser (2 hours), Dateline, Fear Factor, The Voice (2 hours), Who Do You Think You Are?, Who's Still Standing?, and Rock Center.
So get rid of everything then.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
Pay myself a $50mm bonus, liquidate it, and then retire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
First thing I'd do is fire Ann Curry
This!!! 100x This. She is the worst interviewer in the history of televised journalism. Doesn't listen to a thing her interview subject says. Just moves on to the next scripted question regardless.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, but for argument's sake:

1) If they get rid of everything with a sub 2.0, they'll be starting the fall with almost everything new. Without established shows to bring viewers in and to promote their new stuff, those new shows aren't likely to do any better than the current stuff.

2) Can't argue with this.

3) Can't argue with this.

4) Thursday comedies are actually one of the few bright spots for NBC. The ratings aren't stellar, but The Office, Parks & Rec, Community, and 30 Rock are all critical darlings and bring lots of good publicity each week. Sure, they're not all turning in CBS-style ratings, but it's unlikely that anything new will either. I would hope they'd keep all four of the shows I named above.

5) You forgot to mention Smash as an existing NBC drama. And Harry's Law and The Firm are both goners at the end of this year. I don't think there's anything wrong with a good mix of reality and news programming, but I agree that they have too much. First thing I would do is cut Biggest Loser and Celeb Apprentice to one hour each and get rid of Rock Center. The rest of the stuff is OK as fillers and short season stuff.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
5) You forgot to mention Smash as an existing NBC drama. And Harry's Law and The Firm are both goners at the end of this year. I don't think there's anything wrong with a good mix of reality and news programming, but I agree that they have too much. First thing I would do is cut Biggest Loser and Celeb Apprentice to one hour each and get rid of Rock Center. The rest of the stuff is OK as fillers and short season stuff.
I don't think they keep the reality shows around just out of some undying love for them though--there's a reason they continue to go there, and that's the cost. No one thinks the Biggest Loser "needs" to be two hours--probably not even the people who produce it. but the cost of airing that extra hour, which is an established program, vs., the cost of trying to put a new scripted show on the night, is a massive difference.

That's the reason they even tried the Jay Leno thing to begin with--they're in such bad shape that they physically can't afford to have 15 hours of scripted TV every week. It was obviously bad enough for them to take five hours right out of that with Leno--I can't imagine anyone on earth thinking that was GOOD idea...I think it was just practical (and I don't think they anticipated just how bad it would be...but I think they knew it would be bad on some level).

It sucks--with the exception of TBL, I hate reality TV so I definitely never want to see more of it. Even with the singing shows--The Voice pretty much saved them from extinction but how long before they get carried away and it turns out like what Fox did with Idol? They're already adding a Fall season, so it'll be on twice this year, and both cycles will probably be bloated... plus they have this "Smash" show which they put A LOT of hope into, but doesn't seem to be doing well (putting it on at 10PM makes no sense--I get that it has the best lead-in possible but there aren't many brand new shows that and can become a network-saving ratings blockbuster at 10PM on a Monday). But there's Voice, Smash, Idol, Glee, X Factor... it's gonna crash eventually.

I don't know what the answer is for NBC though, because they've taken some chances but for one reason or another, they always tank. They put a huge push into "The Event" last year, and I think it wanted to be a good show, but it was just horrible. They took a risk with Grimm that got phased out by the other one on ABC... they're taking another chance with "Awake" but who knows. I think what's gonna save thing is gonna be that "thing" that no one sees coming, like how 90210 saved Fox or the Lost/DH combo of 04 (followed by the Grey's Anatomy buffer in 05) turned ABC into a powerhouse.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
marksman
ID-10-T

My primary objective would be to go as broad as possible. They need to expand their audience that got a huge chunk removed due to the Leno stuff.

I would add new shows with broad appeal and forgo niche shows with smart audiences. Then I would sacrifice significant ad revenue on my biggest shows, like the voice, to promote other shows. Since NBC universal also owns many cable channels i would target them and run significant campaigns promoting shows. I would expand this beyond owned channels as well.

The entire strategy would be to grow the entire audience of people watching NBC so when you have new shows you can promote them to s larger audience.

The audience for the network has been in a death spiral since the canceled 5 shows to replace with 1 show.

This promotion to grow the audience and introduce broader shows will take a couple years. This is why I might keep a Whitney over a community. I think community is a much better show but Whitney can potentially grow a broader audience.

I remember the days of must see tv and NBC promoted Thursday nights like crazy. I see very little self promotion. On NBC which seems weird.

Also I would forgo online and magazine marketing and just focus on tv ads. I want tv watchers
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard
What is funny is I think the regime who launched those shows got fired before the benefits were seen. Network programming is sometimes a dumb game.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
daveak
Series 3 Novice

One more thing I would do as the president of NBC - I would personally send AnaConda packing from the Biggest Loser.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #21
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
One more thing I would do as the president of NBC - I would personally send AnaConda packing from the Biggest Loser.
Seeing as how you would need a time machine to do that, since they probably filmed most of it by now, you may as well use it to go back and just stop her from being born. Just saying, if you're gonna do it, do it right...

(HAHAHA poor chick. I'm sure she's had some messed up stuff happen to her and I don't "officially" judge people based on how they come across on a reality show, but damn is she awful to watch.)
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I could say give it back to KRON but only a few would get it!
You mean the KRON that came up with the brilliant idea of moving all of its prime time shows back an hour, and moving the late night shows back 35 minutes? Or perhaps you mean the KRON whose contract at the time with the Oakland A's resulted in a number of prime time programs (plus a broadcast of an Olympic Track & Field Trials) being aired at midnight?

This is not the first time NBC has had ratings problems. It should just do what everybody else does in a similar situation - a combination of "make copies of what works on other networks" (i.e. The Voice, Smash) and "throw shows at the wall and see what sticks." NBC also has to see what time slots are vulnerable; for example, Wednesdays are out of the question at the moment with Fox and ABC both having solid locks on the night.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #23
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Invest it in a time machine to go back in time and prevent the whole Jay Leno Show debacle.
Set the way back machine to bring way back Bill Cosby to the present day.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
You mean the KRON that came up with the brilliant idea of moving all of its prime time shows back an hour, and moving the late night shows back 35 minutes?
That was awesome. Even though I think I had Tivos already by then (when was that done?), and I am a late night person, I'd STILL rather get the shows earlier.

My fixes:
1) Make sure every show absolutely starts and ends on time. None of this stupid time slot slippage, which they seemed to have started ('er' was the first one I noticed). If they OFFICIALLY start at 9:59 or go to 8:31, fine.. but actually start/end there. In my dream world where I pitch a show that gets picked up, one of my contract requirements would be that it properly starts/ends in its timeslot (with at $100K/week fine if they screw up).

2) USE THEIR OTHER NETWORKS for their prime time shows. They are sort of doing this now (e.g. The Voice reruns on E!), and do it sporadically for other shows, but usually only for the FIRST episode. #1 would be greatly reduced in importance if I could just record a later showing that week on a "sister network". That also gets "new" programming on networks that are otherwise reruns, and thus basically useless to me.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #25
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

You guys and all your crazy ideas. The only way to save NBC is to let Jack Donaghy run it.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #26
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
No one thinks the Biggest Loser "needs" to be two hours--
My guess is that two hour Biggest Losers won't be around much longer anyway. Since Jillian left the ratings have been in the toilet. They need to bring her back.

There was a gag on 30 Rock where Jack has a pie chart of NBC's priorities. Biggest Loser took up about 90% of the chart and everything else was in the 10% field. It was pretty accurate......
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #27
rhuntington3
Howdy!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Bring back Supertrain and Manimal.

Lady, 8/7/2007.
rhuntington3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
You mean the KRON that came up with the brilliant idea of moving all of its prime time shows back an hour, and moving the late night shows back 35 minutes? Or perhaps you mean the KRON whose contract at the time with the Oakland A's resulted in a number of prime time programs (plus a broadcast of an Olympic Track & Field Trials) being aired at midnight?

This is not the first time NBC has had ratings problems. It should just do what everybody else does in a similar situation - a combination of "make copies of what works on other networks" (i.e. The Voice, Smash) and "throw shows at the wall and see what sticks." NBC also has to see what time slots are vulnerable; for example, Wednesdays are out of the question at the moment with Fox and ABC both having solid locks on the night.
I was also thinking of them dumping NBC because they thought they were so self important they would do better on their own. Ironically both NBC and KRON went down hill at the same time.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #29
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack

That was awesome. Even though I think I had Tivos already by then (when was that done?), and I am a late night person, I'd STILL rather get the shows earlier.

My fixes:
1) Make sure every show absolutely starts and ends on time. None of this stupid time slot slippage, which they seemed to have started ('er' was the first one I noticed). If they OFFICIALLY start at 9:59 or go to 8:31, fine.. but actually start/end there. In my dream world where I pitch a show that gets picked up, one of my contract requirements would be that it properly starts/ends in its timeslot (with at $100K/week fine if they screw up).

2) USE THEIR OTHER NETWORKS for their prime time shows. They are sort of doing this now (e.g. The Voice reruns on E!), and do it sporadically for other shows, but usually only for the FIRST episode. #1 would be greatly reduced in importance if I could just record a later showing that week on a "sister network". That also gets "new" programming on networks that are otherwise reruns, and thus basically useless to me.
I agree 100% on the reruns. They also do it with the apprentice now but they need to do it more often. NBC has access to a large number of cable channels and should be leveraging that huge advantage. Any serialized drama, ala smash, should have regular runs on cable to bring new members in. This is one place where all networks fail. Walking dead has grown its audience over time, but that is because they reran episodes so new viewers can catch up. The major networks suck at this. In some cases if you miss an episode you can be screwed as it can take way too much time and energy to find it.

NBC needs to have consistency in their on demand / Hulu / NBC.com offerings. They can't be pinching pennies they need to grow audience. If someone watches the first 11 episodes of a show on NBC. Com chances are they can become a regular viewer. If they try to do it and only the last three episodes are there then they lose potential viewers

Every decision they make should be based on growing their prime time audience. If that means sabotaging back end sales then they need to work it out with producers. NBC really has a huge advantage with all the cable channels, they could really capitalize

The problem is they want to play the game like CBS when they don't have the audience or products that CBS has.

I realize the issues are complicated due to the traditional production company / network agreements but that is where NBC has to be different. Even if they end up paying more for shows if they can get more control in order to build an audience it will be worth it.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #30
getbak

Community 24/7