TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
ajwees41

Tivo and free Hulu

is there any more info on using the free version of Hulu on a Tivo Premieres?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
Chris Gerhard

I see no way that can ever work, when I try to access Hulu with a streaming box such as Google TV, I get a message to the effect the service requires use of a PC. The Hulu programming is licensed for access by a traditional PC only. Hulu Plus is a service designed to be used with PC like appliances. Nothing is forever so maybe contracts can be changed but this isn't something I would expect will ever happen.

Accessing Hulu with a PC and sharing by use of a DLNA server would be one way that limitation can be overcome but that still requires using a PC so the benefit isn't much. I haven't seen any speculation that TiVo Premiere may be updated to work as a DLNA client and don't expect that ever either but it is more likely than Hulu becoming available to the various streaming boxes directly.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
The "free" version of Hulu is not available directly on any device designed to be connected to a TV. Or to put it another way the "free" version of Hulu is only available on a computer. This is do to licensing restrictions imposed by the content owners. Not much Hulu can do about this and absolutely nothing TiVo can do about it.

There is a work around somewhere around that involves using PlayOn and something else (pyTiVo?). Maybe someone can point you at the thread that talks about it.

Ok - I think I found it, start here, it is the same principle as getting Amazon Prime Streaming talked about here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...89#post9031589

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 05-14-2012 at 11:15 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
ajwees41

surprised that youtube is available and free that's why I asked about Hulu.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
It's more "how they got there" as opposed to "where they are" Hulu's history as being created and backed by Network television providers has far more draconian rules on how you can watch their content vs. youtube and their "open and free contributions" model.

Granted things have changed over time, but the core items they started with do make a difference here.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Youtube has restrictions in place for set top boxes so certain content isn't available. Basically, it means authors are able to block their youtube videos from playing on TiVos, xbox, etc if they wish. So there isn't any problem for them to provide an app on all the devices they want too.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Wingershute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
The "free" version of Hulu is not available directly on any device designed to be connected to a TV. Or to put it another way the "free" version of Hulu is only available on a computer. This is do to licensing restrictions imposed by the content owners. Not much Hulu can do about this and absolutely nothing TiVo can do about it.

There is a work around somewhere around that involves using PlayOn and something else (pyTiVo?). Maybe someone can point you at the thread that talks about it.

Ok - I think I found it, start here, it is the same principle as getting Amazon Prime Streaming talked about here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...89#post9031589

Good Luck,
I use Playon with GoogleTV to stream Hulu and all other kinds of content to my television. Works pretty well but GoogleTV runs very slowly and constantly crashes.

Roamio Plus Lifetime
Mini Lifetime X 3
2 Premieres Lifetime
TiVo S2 doa
8tb server
Wingershute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingershute View Post
I use Playon with GoogleTV to stream Hulu and all other kinds of content to my television. Works pretty well but GoogleTV runs very slowly and constantly crashes.
Google TV rarely crashes for me. There are things to do, clear cache, clear storage, keep only a limited number of apps installed and other steps that prevent that. I can make mine work without issues like this but I see this kind of comment often so it is clear it is easy to put Google TV in a state where it won't work well. I use Google TV with PlayOn/PlayLater for standard definition streaming from sites that block direct Google TV access, primarily Hulu and network sites, and it does work well enough with some limitations, like little or no trick play functions.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
poppagene
User

As others have mentioned, you can watch the standard version of hulu if you both have playon running on your computer and install the version of pytivo that enables tivo to transfer and watch content delivered through playon. The advantage of this over the google tv is that the shows delivered by pytivo can be stored on your tivo and all of tivos trick play functions are in use such as pause, rewind fast forward, 30 second skip, etc.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
As others have mentioned, you can watch the standard version of hulu if you both have playon running on your computer and install the version of pytivo that enables tivo to transfer and watch content delivered through playon. The advantage of this over the google tv is that the shows delivered by pytivo can be stored on your tivo and all of tivos trick play functions are in use such as pause, rewind fast forward, 30 second skip, etc.
Where do I find this version of pyTiVo?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Check the link in my previous post.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
poppagene
User

Quote:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ler-t1610.html
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
tootal2

I think it has to be hulu plus. Also hulu is going to want its users to verify they have cable I just use hulu on my computer since hulu has a lot more shows on a computer then a device.

Quote:

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
That link is for a jython java-based installer for pyTivo that uses a rather old version of W McBrine's pyTivo. You can also make the PlayOn pyTivo plugin code work by adding it to an existing (more recent version) of pyTiVo. See my two posts in that same pyTiVo forum thread here:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...610.html#13612.
It's totally python when done that way and you can use whatever version of pyTivo you wish. In either case the plugin code is courtesy of jkasyan to whom we owe thanks. I had to install the django python package to get this to work -- which is easy and free.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote