TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
bsvitale

Series2 TCD649080 with Insignia NS-DXA1

I have a Series2 TCD649080 dual tuner. I recently decided to move away from Comcast Cable and instead receive the signal Over-the-Air. Since our TV is not digital, I also snagged the Insignia NS-DXA1 digital converter box from eBay.

I found TiVo's instructions for setting up a Series2 with a digital converter box. When I attempted to follow them, I did not have a signal source option for "Antenna with Box". I called TiVo. They told me that my particular Series2 model does not support that option. I have 9.3.2 firmware I believe.

So at this point I feel like I'm stuck. Either I go back to cable, or I ditch TiVo. Is there some other configuration (e.g. "Cable" with converter box) that I can fool the TiVo into using where it will control the box and be able to record shows?

(I'm not interested in moving to Premiere.)
bsvitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

Yes, your model does not support antenna at all, even with a converter box. TiVo made that decision to make the DVR compliant to the word of an FCC rule requiring boxes capable of tuning antenna channels have a digital tuner. TiVo cheaped out making the Series 2 DT not tune antenna at all, and put them in a precarious position keeping an analog tuner built in, and they stuck to that when they supported DTA antenna converters on the Series 2s.

There might be some work arounds, which involve a satellite or cable lineup than matches local numbers, and choosing a code that works with your box, or a box with satellite compatible codes. Usually you will be limited to the xx.1 channels.

If you have other than Prouduct Lifetime on your TiVo, you can get an unsubbed Series 2 for about the cost of shipping. Refurbed TiVo HDs are selling for $99 I understand.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
bsvitale

Thanks. I was able to implement a workaround using a Comcast line-up and by going through the advanced channel changing setup and putting in the IR code directly (10075-B).

Cheers
Ben
bsvitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
kirkd

series 2 dual tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsvitale View Post
Thanks. I was able to implement a workaround using a Comcast line-up and by going through the advanced channel changing setup and putting in the IR code directly (10075-B).

Cheers
Ben
Hi,
I have the same problem, but not sure what you meant. Do I go through the guided set up using Comcast cable box? I don't see a way to manually enter in IR code...how do I do that? Did you get all the sub channels (2-1, 2-2, etc)? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kirk
kirkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkd View Post
Hi,
I have the same problem, but not sure what you meant. Do I go through the guided set up using Comcast cable box? I don't see a way to manually enter in IR code...how do I do that? Did you get all the sub channels (2-1, 2-2, etc)? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kirk
Hook the converter up first and make sure it's working. Guided Setup won't work if there's no signal on the TiVo's inputs.

Run GS and tell it you have the cable or satellite provider that matches your actual OTA lineup the best. When it comes to the whole channel changing section just pick anything and tell it "yes, it works".

When that's done go into the Channel Changing menu and tell it you have a different box. When you get a few steps further into that process you will see an Advanced option. Click it and enter the IR code manually.

You won't get subchannels.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
kirkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Hook the converter up first and make sure it's working. Guided Setup won't work if there's no signal on the TiVo's inputs.

Run GS and tell it you have the cable or satellite provider that matches your actual OTA lineup the best. When it comes to the whole channel changing section just pick anything and tell it "yes, it works".

When that's done go into the Channel Changing menu and tell it you have a different box. When you get a few steps further into that process you will see an Advanced option. Click it and enter the IR code manually.

You won't get subchannels.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to sell this DT with lifetime to get a ST with lifetime. Didn't dig deep enough on these forums to see there are "wrinkles" with the DT.
kirkd is offline   Reply With Quote