TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
tiams

Shark Tank OAD 5/18/12

Loved the key idea. If I understood him right, he hasn't secured the patent on that technology. Having one of those on your front door won't allow you to throw your keychain away though. They need to adapt the technology for non-deadbolt locks like your car ignition. That would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Hank
AC•FTW

Yeah, I want to buy one right now. But adapting to current car ignitions is going to be a really tough call due to all the electronics. They would have to sign a licensing agreement with the auto manufacturers to integrate it into the car electronics. I'd invest in that company. He claims he has a provisional patent or more likely a provisional patent application. If he does, and it's granted, it only costs $5-$10k to turn it into a real patent, which I hope he can do. I'll be following this one.

The rest of the pitches in this episode -- all crap.
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Alfer
WOOSAH!

The lock idea is cool but for us we have a deadbolt AND a doorknob lock so we'd still have to deal with keys.

Plus both of our deadbolts/ doors are slight warped and you have to futz with each door to get the lock to engage and once locked, the fit is tight.

So unless you have very smooth operating doors/locks, this robo lock won't work.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Something I'm surprised that nobody mentioned is that this device needs some kind of power to work. How many doors do you know that have available power? So that $200 lock now needs $200 in work from an electrician to install.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
Something I'm surprised that nobody mentioned is that this device needs some kind of power to work. How many doors do you know that have available power? So that $200 lock now needs $200 in work from an electrician to install.
we do access control all the time, including on classified facilities. They have self-powered locks with internal batteries.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats

we do access control all the time, including on classified facilities. They have self-powered locks with internal batteries.
So instead of spending $200 on an electrician, you have an unknown figure expense in terms of batteries. I'm assuming it something more heavy duty than a AA.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
So instead of spending $200 on an electrician, you have an unknown figure expense in terms of batteries. I'm assuming it something more heavy duty than a AA.
The website says that the batteries last 6 to 12 months.

I currently have a battery powered electronic combo deadbolt lock that's powered by 4 AA batteries. It's going on 2+ years on the original batteries.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
The lock idea is cool but for us we have a deadbolt AND a doorknob lock so we'd still have to deal with keys.
If it won't work for you, than it won't work for you. That doesn't mean it won't work well for other people. You could say the same thing above about *any* replacement deadbolt lock. This device is a replacement for any deadbolt lock. So in your specific situation you might "still have to deal with keys", but it's ONE LESS key you have to deal with. That still seems like an advantage. Nowhere in his pitch did he say his device was going to replace ALL locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Plus both of our deadbolts/ doors are slight warped and you have to futz with each door to get the lock to engage and once locked, the fit is tight.

So unless you have very smooth operating doors/locks, this roboany lock won't work.
Fixed your post. This deadbolt is no different than any other deadbolt. The differences are how the deadbolt is activated. So if you have a problem with your deadbolt or doors, call a locksmith or carpetner to fix your door. You'd have the same problem with *any* deadbolt you install. The problem isn't because it's a "robo lock" like you are trying to assert.

No wonder people have you on ignore.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Sheesh. Bitter much?

Yes the robo lock is a great idea but all I'm saying is for many folks in situations like me, the robo won't work without doing some minor/major work to the door(s) and I for one don't want to invest the time nor money just to have a door lock that is semi automatic. And like I said, we lock both the door knob lock and the deadbolt lock, so I'm still having to carry/use a key, so even if my doors were perfect, I'm still stuck carrying my keys so there really is no point in investing in installing one/two in my house.

I'm sure others are in the same boat.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

The proximity lock already exists in cars. I had one on my Camry Hybrid and I know that most Nissans and even the Corvette has this technology. All you have is a fob that stays in your pocket and the door will unlock and open when you reach for the handle and lock again when you leave the car and touch that handle again.

Of course, the car's advantage is that it is powered by the vehicle's electronics, so it is recharged with everything else, but there's no reason it couldn't be battery powered on a regular door.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
The proximity lock already exists in cars. I had one on my Camry Hybrid and I know that most Nissans and even the Corvette has this technology. All you have is a fob that stays in your pocket and the door will unlock and open when you reach for the handle and lock again when you leave the car and touch that handle again.

Of course, the car's advantage is that it is powered by the vehicle's electronics, so it is recharged with everything else, but there's no reason it couldn't be battery powered on a regular door.
The lock you are talking about isn't as useful though. You still have to carry the fob, you can't let others have temporary access, you can't change the lock, etc.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Pros and cons. You still have to carry a smartphone and pay for access too! Admittedly, you would have this anyway, but it does restrict the target market a little!

I'm not advocating one over the other, just pointing out that the basic premise already exists.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
If you are talking about the X09 type locks, those actually generate their own power when you spin the dial. No battery.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Pros and cons. You still have to carry a smartphone and pay for access too! Admittedly, you would have this anyway, but it does restrict the target market a little!

I'm not advocating one over the other, just pointing out that the basic premise already exists.
In the few years before this comes to mass market who won't have a smartphone? Even if the B/D deal doesn't work out this could be marketed commercially to other markets. It'd be awesome for people who manage short-stay properties like vacation homes.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #15
Hank
AC•FTW

I could even see it working in big hotels, too. Just pair your smartphone at check-in, and you're good to go. I'd love that.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I have a question regarding the distance. My living room is the first room I walk in to from the front door, I sit 10 feet away from the door to watch TV. Will someone be able to unlock the door?

Going to the hotel example, these rooms are not too large, same idea and question.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
Hank
AC•FTW

Just a wild ass guess here, but maybe the devices can detect the direction of the signal, and not activate it "inside". I know keyless fobs for cars can be detected when they are inside the car, so people can't lock themselves inside.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #18
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I wonder how useful his patent is though. There's other similar technology out there now that does this. Kwikset makes something very similar.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #19
Azlen

I know the sharks do some due diligence before anything is actually signed. After seeing the Kwikset product, which seems to have a lot more features, they may decide to not invest. Or at least see if any patent he has would be valid and enforceable.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
pmyers

Who even knew Black & Decker dealt with locks? I would have though Kwikset or Schlage.
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
warrenn

For those of us who didn't see the show, can someone give a summary of what this lock invention was?
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #22
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
For those of us who didn't see the show, can someone give a summary of what this lock invention was?
Its a lock that interacts with your smartphone to issue/validate keys. Its called UniKey

According to his website he's had contact with B/D thru his previous employer which is probably why he is negotiating with them. Also didn't know B/W owns Kwikset so they must think his product is different enough from their own stuff.

Last edited by Ment : 05-21-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
pmyers

btw, was this the episode with the recycle shoes?

If so, why didn't anybody call him out on them looking like cheap Converse knock-offs?
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post

If so, why didn't anybody call him out on them looking like cheap recyclable Converse knock-offs?
FYP. As the Sharks noted getting into such a niche market for shelf space against the big boys didn't appeal to them. Plus he had no sales.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
inaka

That home gym idea was a joke and I thought the trainers made a horrible pitch.
The female trainer at the end (after they were rejected) even said, "One day we're going to have one of these in every living room in America" or something like that. I was thinking, in the living room? That machine was a beast and looked like crap. That's not something you can tuck away in the living room, etc. You'd need a dedicated home gym for that, and to appear primarily to high end clients and fellow trainers, again, they likely will go to the gym anyway. It's a nice product with a market they've segmented so much that it wouldn't fly.

The shoe idea? Umm...next. I usually fault O'Leary for always focusing on the proprietary nature of product pitches, but in this case, it definitely was something that any shoe manufacture could do if they wanted. There was nothing there to me.

And the lock idea? Nice idea and excellent pitch. The guy knew his stuff. Just seemed like a product that I would personally never want or use. I mean, you can have a locksmith rekey your entire house so that each lock works with just one key. I believe that cost is around $50 each lock, or less than half of the lock he was pitching. That would reduce keys, etc. I understand that there are more features of the web app-enabled locked, but again, you're likely going to need to keep one key anyway as a backup, and you're always going to need car keys, etc. So one little key isn't a problem I see the need to solve really. But again, that's just me.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
Hank
AC•FTW

It's just you, because I see a great need for such a product. It's not about just re-keying several locks, it's about not needing a key at all*. As well as granting very temporary access to other people, so you don't have to go have keys copied, etc (that they can copy, etc). And you can do it from anywhere, you don't have to even meet them to do it -- you just send them a virtual key that expires when they're done.

Also, I can get lock cylinders re-keyed to the same key for $20 per lock. But that's not the problem this device solves.

*Yes, you can carry a backup, but you might never need it.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
inaka

I know the "problem" this solves. Not needing to hold a key, but instead needing to have a cell phone on-hand every time. If you say that you're going to be holding a cell phone anyway, then to that I say, I'm going to be holding SOME amount of keys anyway too (car key, company, etc.) so adding literally one more key to that chain is nothing to me, if you have a locksmith key all locks to the same key. If you get lock cylinders re-keyed to the same key for $20 per lock, then you're proving my point even more.

Let alone the high cost per lock, requirement for batteries, potential for battery failure w/need for a backup key anyway, potential for cell/app not working, etc. There's a reason why car manufactures with the "keyless entry" option still require you to have a key in your pocket. Because sh*t happens, and you may need your physical key, so the key you have in your pocket is your crucial backup even if you can unlock the car and start the ignition without putting it in the lock. Same thing for this. I have a feeling most will need a key in their pocket anyway. They'll just have the convenience of not needing to put in in the lock. So the "you won't need a key at all" seems unlikely in the real world.

Also, you can't send a virtual key to anyone.
They still need a smartphone for it to work. Great for teenage babysitter who have a cell, maybe not so great for grandma who wants to come over.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #28
Hank
AC•FTW

Yes, nobody said it was going to eliminate ALL keys. All this device does is allow you to gain entry to your location without having to use a key. Again, it has *nothing* to do with re-keying lock cylinders to the same key. I only have *one* lock on my house. I don't need to have multiple locks with the same key for anything, so I really don't see the relevance to that line of argument. Also, saying that you have to carry a key as a backup anyway also is faulty logic.

Again, it's not about eliminating ALL KEYS, it's about complete and easy CONVENIENCE to opening a lock. Just because I still have to carry the same key as a backup DOES NOT MEAN the device is not more convenient. Why can't you guys get this? Yes, everyone has to carry keys, and yes, the backup key in case something happens. Why does that one simple fact entirely negate the benefit and convenience this device offers to you people?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #29
inaka

The relevance of what I'm talking about in reference to rekeying locks so that they only need one key was during the developers pitch. He held out a big keychain with a bunch of keys on it and then tossed it over his shoulder saying that his new locking system would eliminate that. You wouldn't need to carry a mess of keys in your pocket. Yeah, but so would rekeying your locks so you just had one tiny key instead of that mess of keys he just tossed over his shoulder, and at a fraction of the cost. It was his selling point for his lock, and I don't see that as a selling point at all.

I've explained clearly that I get it. I even compared it to the convenience of keyless entry on a car. Nice technology, it just solves a problem I don't have.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
The weird thing is that there have been (my term, though I think they basically said it too) "plastic shoes" for a very long time. Yes, I realize they probably weren't as fully recyclable, but I remember as a little kid, my mom not wanting to get the cheap plastic shoes.. (it wasn't any anti-Chinese shoes thing either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
That home gym idea was a joke and I thought the trainers made a horrible pitch.
The female trainer at the end (after they were rejected) even said, "One day we're going to have one of these in every living room in America" or something like that. I was thinking, in the living room? That machine was a beast and looked like crap. That's not something you can tuck away in the living room, etc.
Didn't look very huge to me. Then again, I have a treadmill and a bed in (small) bedroom..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote