TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
mrdazzo7

Fringe - "Brave New World: Part 1" - 5/4/12

FIRST!!!!11!! (lol seriously why do people still do that?)

Anyway, thought it was a decent episode but I can't really judge it without seeing part two--I didn't think it was overly great on it's own though... They had Leonard Nimoy in the credits so Bell being involved wasn't a surprise the way it looked like they intended it to be, and since we've seen Walter and Bell interact several times over the course of the show, the episode-ending confrontation didn't pack any emotional heft to me--I get that in this world, Bell was thought to be dead and they haven't spoken in years but what we've seen before the switch over makes it less impactful. In that regard, I wasn't really into that being the last scene, but whatevs.

Thoughts on Astrid? Personally I've watched enough TV to know that until someone's in a body bag, they're not dead (and that's not even a guarantee). She was shot and badly injured, but I highly doubt she's dead, which is another reason why I didn't find it that suspenseful--if she really is dead, they could have made that much more...definitive, but the vagueness leads me to think she'll be fine.

Love Olivia tapping into her telekinesis as hinted at that time they went to the future... Glad Jones is dead... I liked the threat of setting the entire city on fire but it kind of ended there--makes me anxious for what they're gonna do next week. BTW did anyone else think it was weird that Walter referred to Peter as "my son"? I wonder if that's a subtle hint that he's starting to experience what happened with Olivia (I still think it's a little stupid that she's the only one to revert to her prior time-line self--I want my old peeps back).

Also, I'm confused... in an article posted in the "Fringe Renewed" thread, one of the producers mentions that he's still holding out hope that he can pull Nimoy out of retirement before the show ends next year, which I took to mean we wouldn't be seeing him again at all... didn't he say after his last guest spot that he was done acting or something? Wasn't expecting to see him again...
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Amnesia
The Question

Poor Alex!

I don't think the whole regenerating-powers-of-Cortexiphan was a coincidence. It will probably be used to heal what's-her-name...
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Also, I'm confused... in an article posted in the "Fringe Renewed" thread, one of the producers mentions that he's still holding out hope that he can pull Nimoy out of retirement before the show ends next year, which I took to mean we wouldn't be seeing him again at all... didn't he say after his last guest spot that he was done acting or something? Wasn't expecting to see him again...
Clever misdirection. By focusing us on the question of whether he might return next year, it never occurred to us to wonder whether he might return THIS year. Much less be the series Big Bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Poor Alex!
I assume you mean Athos?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I am trying to decide whether that was pretty cool or just a bunch of leftover silly ideas jammed ino one episode.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

I wonder why Jones died so easily. Previously, he took a bullet to the throat and walked away from it because he became an advanced form of human (I forget the exact words he used).
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
I wonder why Jones died so easily.
He didn't just die, he half-disintegrated. Clearly there was something else going on (presumably Belly making sure that his bishop was indeed sacrificed).
Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Loved the pillow talk about househunting that wound up discussing a nursery!
As a local I was bummed that they butchered a few pronunciations on the towns however.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Loved the pillow talk about househunting that wound up discussing a nursery!
As a local I was bummed that they butchered a few pronunciations on the towns however.
Ah, but this is the reconstituted universe. Things change when you alter the universe.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Ah, but this is the reconstituted universe. Things change when you alter the universe.

*chuckle* point taken, it could after all have been Manhatan

Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Well, I guess Spock is not the good guy here.* Is he the one that was trapped in amber or one from the other universe?

Excellent product placement: "Buy your morning latte with a Sprint phone - die a horrible, disfiguring death."

So, Jones was just a pawn in Belly's nefarious plan.

*Ref: William Bell, played by the actor Leonard Nimoy, was in a science fiction TV program in the 1960s titled "Star Trek." His character was an alien from the planet Vulcan. His name was Spock. The show evolved into movies later on. Also starred William Shatner. From Canada.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
His character was an alien from the planet Vulcan. His name was Spock. The show evolved into movies later on.
Dude. Spoiler alert for shows not in the thread title. Sheesh!!!1!
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Also starred William Shatner. From Canada.
...where Fringe is actually filmed. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I was disappointed they gave away the Nimoy secret in the opening credits. Couldn't they have negotiated some way to keep that secret until he actually appeared in the show? Would the SAG rules allow them to leave him uncredited until the end of the episode, or can a actor not negotiate away those rights?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
But do people in Montreal (where Shatner's from) and Vancouver actually think they're in the same country?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Amnesia
The Question

Je ne sais pas
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138

*Ref: William Bell, played by the actor Leonard Nimoy, was in a science fiction TV program in the 1960s titled "Star Trek." His character was an alien from the planet Vulcan. His name was Spock. The show evolved into movies later on. Also starred William Shatner. From Canada.
I'm pretty sure William Bell wasn't in Star Trek....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I was disappointed they gave away the Nimoy secret in the opening credits. Couldn't they have negotiated some way to keep that secret until he actually appeared in the show? Would the SAG rules allow them to leave him uncredited until the end of the episode, or can a actor not negotiate away those rights?
SAG rules are pretty strict about that.
Occasionally you can get waiver but it's not easy.

Although Nimoy was credited in the beginning, you didn't know if he was going to just be a voice, show up in animated form, or be the evil mastermind here (although I suspect that he's doing this to prevent the Observer dominated future we saw.)

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
SAG rules are pretty strict about that.
Damned unions...
Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I'm pretty sure William Bell wasn't in Star Trek....
Yes, I believe he was in the episode "Mirror, Mirror." It was an alternate universe thing.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Quote:
He didn't just die, he half-disintegrated. Clearly there was something else going on (presumably Belly making sure that his bishop was indeed sacrificed).
He died in much the same was that he did in the the season one timeline where his head was cut in two while trying to cross over to the redverse and Peter turned off power to the portal.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@thehickmans View Post
He died in much the same was that he did in the the season one timeline (...)
Wait a minute...is this the Free Will vs. Predestination thread?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Since Bell was in the 2036 amber with (most of) the rest of the Fringe team rather than being dead or in jail, I'm going to say he is not the bad guy. Nor, really, was DR Jones.

Nor was there ever a plot to collapse the universes, take over the world with nanites (shades of Jake 2.0!), or use the new shape-shifters to infiltrate and control the world that way. It was all part of a ruse de guerre orchestrated by Belly to force Olivia to be able to use and control her powers.

Most of the earlier attempts were failures that only resulted in the team thwarting the attempts for world destruction and domination. This time Bell was a bit more clever. First he planted the the Rebecca Mader character, put her life in danger and made her sympathetic to Olivia with the story of the daughter. Notice the call she made just as her temperature started its rise? That was to inform Bell that Olivia was there and she was in a position to stimulate the use of Liv's powers. When this happened, it cracked the shell that was holding Olivia's powers back.

Then Peter was put in danger by a man Olivia was taught to believe the most evil and dangerous in the universe. She was placed where she could only see, but not act. She was forced to to use her powers deliberately and and with conscious control. This totally shattered the shell preventing Olivia from using her powers.

Olivia is still the soldier that Walter and Belly originally sought to create. Only this time she wasn't there to fight a war between the universes, but rather is there to fight the invaders from the future, the Observers.

In S2 e3 ("Fracture") former Army colonel Raymond Gordon discovered the Observers and was turning people into bombs to try to take them out. He (correctly as we know now) saw them as an invading force that needed to be stopped. This was, of course, in the timeline where Peter existed. What if in this new timeline Gordon and Belly got together and Gordon was able to show Belly the threat?

Belly is playing his chess game secretly against the Observers and needs his queen (Olivia) to be unrestricted in her moves. He needs her to know all her powers and be able to use them deliberately and effectively. He has now succeeded.

Also note that cortexiphan has regenerative powers. It could be used to heal Astrid. It could be that Mr. X does shoot Olivia (ergo Etta's bullet necklace) and the cortexiphan she has be treated with saves her life because it gave her self-healing powers. Nor would I put it past the writers to have Mr X shoot Olive to prove to her and the rest of the teams that she does have these powers.

Also, I speculate that Belly sends Olivia to the Observer's future (2609) to stop the invasion, and that she fails (and this is the reason for Walter's antipathy for him in last week's 2036 episode). That Etta is given a course of cortexiphan when she is four which gives her the power to remain invisible to the Observers and perhaps more. That Etta (& the rest of the team?) will also go to 2609, meet up with Olivia and save the world.

Now this might not be the Etta from the 2036 timeline. In fact Olivia's pregnancy may be accelerated as well as Etta's maturation. (ala season 1 episode 2 - "The Same Old Story").

I understand that the producers of Fringe originally had a 7 season plan -- which would have ended the series in the Spring of 2015 and the Observer invasion. So they may be using some tricks to get things so they complete next season.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Well, I guess Spock is not the good guy here.*
I'm not too sure about that. This could of been his plan to get rid of Jones all along.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But do people in Montreal (where Shatner's from) and Vancouver actually think they're in the same country?
There are strong separatist leanings in both Quebec and British Columbia. So while they may be in the same country, they both wish they weren't.

A lot of people in Canada cheered when the Vancouver Canucks were tossed in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Vancouver is a beautiful city (never been there, but my wife has) but it's been getting a steadily worsening reputation in the rest of Canada.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #25
wprager

Did anyone else get this uneasy feeling from seeing Nimoy's teeth? Clearly not real, way too white.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
If the network affiliates would show the end credits as intended (NOT all squished down to the bottom 1/8 of the screen), the negotiation might be a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@thehickmans View Post
Since Bell was in the 2036 amber with (most of) the rest of the Fringe team rather than being dead or in jail, I'm going to say he is not the bad guy. Nor, really, was DR Jones.

<Speculation snipped>
We don't know what was going on when Walter set off the amber device. We've only seen individuals (including Belly) as they were cut from the amber.
IOW, there's a bigger picture here.
I predict by the end of the next episode, we'll have seen all the events that lead up to (and include) Walter setting off the amber device.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #27
Johncv

Quote:
I don’t think William Shatner will be showing up on “Fringe” JJ Aberham can not stand the actor from what I read somewhere.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
cheesesteak
Meh.

The most disturbing thing about this episode was in the opening when the guy paid $4.80 for a frickin' coffee. That and the muzak version of Billy Idol's Eyes Without A Face.

I got excited when Astro started kicking bad guy ass. Then she got shot. That part sucked.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #29
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The most disturbing thing about this episode was in the opening when the guy paid $4.80 for a frickin' coffee.
Have you not bought coffee at a Starbucks lately? They are not any cheaper than that!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I totally forgot about the reset and could not understand how Bell died in a car accident. Thank God for TCF.

I love how people shoot guns down a tunnel and totally miss a straight ahead shot. Even with a machine gun, it seems!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote